Sign in to follow this  
nzodea

why has this not sold? E46 M3 CS

My understanding is that BMW fixed the bottom end (more clearance) mid-2003 and by this time had also issued the advisory to use 10w-60.

So, assuming my info is accurate, the bottom end bearings shouldn't be a problem in this particular vehicle. I stand to be corrected on that though if somebody has specific knowledge that differs.

It would be interesting to know if you could go back to a more sensible oil for street use if you have more bearing clearance (05/03+). I wouldn't want to be the test dummy though.

Agreed the CS, whilst a relatively weak upgrade from BMW, is probably more attractive but it's unlikely to tip the balance one way or the other. And you can probably pick up a black interior from a wreckers for $1000 if you're prepared to wait.

I think it's still a sensible price (unlike $38k for a 3.0 e36!) so props to the seller in that regard. Set aside $2k for bulletproof chassis reinforcements and plan for a VANOS and cooling system DIY overhaul (<$1000) and you're still well under $35k, enough room for the interior.

If you want an e46 M3 you shouldn't really be budgeting less than $35k anyway IMHO.

^The consensus seems that bearings are a wear item and will need to be replaced eventually. Could you get 300km+ on the originals / recall? A lot have. But wear is apparent when people have them replaced preventatively. 

Has anyone seen this car? I find it's very hard to get any feel for value unless you view a car in the metal.

58 minutes ago, m325i said:

^The consensus seems that bearings are a wear item and will need to be replaced eventually. Could you get 300km+ on the originals / recall? A lot have. But wear is apparent when people have them replaced preventatively. 

Has anyone seen this car? I find it's very hard to get any feel for value unless you view a car in the metal.

Yeah there's quite a lot of evidence on overseas forums that would suggest that it's prudent to replace rod bearings at 100,000mi/160,000km. Not all cars need them replaced at this mileage, but there are enough that do that make it not worth the risk to not. I replaced mine at 140k and I'm glad I didn't wait any longer.

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

If you want an e46 M3 you shouldn't really be budgeting less than $35k anyway IMHO.

Yep completely agree that if you're buying an E46 M3 you need to be budgeting for more than the cost of the car. Can confirm from first hand experience that your $35k total figure is pretty accurate ?

SMG / CSL parts bin are a plus for me. The red interior seems to be a common UK thing . It’s going to be more collectable than standard models. 

Biggest expense on these is worthy tyres in my experience.. People worry about bearings / smg pumps , subframes , vanos , biff bolts , cam bolts , steering hoses , coil packs , gear position servos , head gasket , alternator replacements etc.  With mine it’s done 160,000 and I’ve driven 115,000 of them.over past 7 years.

biggest expenses... $9k on rubber.  Or $25k on gas. , $21k on parking ,  and $1200 per year in dealer serving and parts. I think some times we focus on the maintenance costs on e46 M3s where as the costs are elsewhere. $30k for the cs seems like good value for a car that is a joy to drive.

• Like 4

On 5/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, Jacko said:

Cars are cheap in NZ, maintenance isnt.

Interesting you say that.  Now that I am coming back to NZ.

Cars in NZ are not cheap compared to the US.  And Professional Maintenance is far far cheaper than here.

7 hours ago, Driftit said:

Interesting you say that.  Now that I am coming back to NZ.

Cars in NZ are not cheap compared to the US.  And Professional Maintenance is far far cheaper than here.

Depends on state I guess. Some of them drive around in things that wouldnt be road legal in the Chathams :D Different markets as well,  way higher rates of leasing cars etc in US etc.

You can get a few year old jap import audi etc for peanuts here, or you can buy 4 tyres to fit it for the same price...

5 hours ago, Jacko said:

Depends on state I guess. Some of them drive around in things that wouldnt be road legal in the Chathams :D Different markets as well,  way higher rates of leasing cars etc in US etc.

You can get a few year old jap import audi etc for peanuts here, or you can buy 4 tyres to fit it for the same price...

The junk here is true junk.  New cars are often cheaper than NZ's second hand cars though.

In the DMV area old Euros (more than 5 years old) are dirt cheap.  I would say they are around 30% cheaper than the NZ equivalent.

Newer M cars would be at least 50% cheaper.  Its the old numbers game.  There are just so many of them.  And after the 3 year lease is up they get dumped on the market.

5 hours ago, Driftit said:

The junk here is true junk.  New cars are often cheaper than NZ's second hand cars though.

In the DMV area old Euros (more than 5 years old) are dirt cheap.  I would say they are around 30% cheaper than the NZ equivalent.

Newer M cars would be at least 50% cheaper.  Its the old numbers game.  There are just so many of them.  And after the 3 year lease is up they get dumped on the market.

also very rusty if in the north , like in the UK , worthless 

On 5/24/2019 at 2:39 AM, Driftit said:

USA retail price is also low. The 1M was retailing for the same amount as I paid for an 8 year old e46 m3 at the time. Couldn’t  believe the base spec was $43k USD which was about $50k NZ at the time. 1M retail was $100k nzd but slightly higher spec

Drove the M3 today outside of normal commute mode?. If  people have the means you’ve got to own one at some stage in your life. Bucket list car

• Like 4