Sign in to follow this  
318Touring

Car mechanical/electrical trouble

Posted in the off-topic because this is for my '05 Suzuki Swift.

In the past few months, it's been exhibiting the following symptoms:

• when cold, idle RPM would be at 1400-ish 
  • also when cold, when the gas pedal is floored power delivery would be somehow interrupted.  The only way to get power is to let off and push the gas pedal again
  • when idling from cold it'll judder with the RPM oscillating accordingly
  • when warm, sometimes, pushing the gas pedal doesn't deliver any additional power.  The remedy is to let off and push the gas pedal again

Took it to the garage this morning, it was already warm, and they couldn't replicate the issue.  They said that it might electrical (hence the title of this post).

I've replaced spark plugs, O2 sensor,  oil and filter, air filter and cleaned the throttle body.   It' not throwing any code.

Any idea?  I could always replace the MAF but it now feels throwing parts at a problem (or a bunch of problems) that I don't understand.  

Edited by 318Touring
No code

Throttle Position Sensor or Idle Control Valve? (I know nothing about the engines, and if they even run a TPS or ICV) That would be what I would be looking at. Could even be an vacuum leak.

Whats a scan say?

Edited by Jacko

Tried running with the MAF disconnected>? 

Yup all of that sound like a good next step.  MAF is rather hard to disconnect, I'll need to google on how to do that and not destroy it in the process.

Im talking unplugging the wiring here

15 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Im talking unplugging the wiring here

I'll take a look tomorrow, thanks

Air leak?   Get video of it happening, from both drivers position and under the hood.  

There's a big Suzuki forum here, initial skimming revealed this thread... https://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-swift-geo-metro-forum/262241-suzuki-swift-sport-p0607-issue.html

Is it throwing any codes?

HTH

PS:  also https://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-swift-geo-metro-forum/262105-suzuki-swift-1-5-idling-issues.html 

Edited by Olaf

Thanks @Olaf for the pointers.  Resetting seems to be the first thing I could do then check for vacuum leaks.

No code, which I don't know whether is unhelpful or good.

My idle issue isn't as bad as described at the forum, also managed to get my hands on a workshop manual.  

• Like 1

A quick update, I did the following on Sunday:

• adjusted the idle screw - this fixes the really high idle, and seems to be dropping to normal idle quicker
  • 'reset' the car by disconnecting the battery etc. - the juddering and hesitation have reduced significantly to almost non-existent

I also tried to find vacuum leaks by spraying soapy water at the connectors and hoses - seemed there wasn't any leak.

Thanks for your suggestions and help!