Sign in to follow this  
m325i

F3x Motors

I'm looking at F31 wagons and F36 4xx grand coupes and was wondering what your opinion is on the various motors.

The sweet spot would be a 330d, but they are hard to find.

I remembered the Chris Harris review and thought a 320d could work.

My other option would be the 328i. 

(I know what to expect with 335i).

Given the history of BMW 4 cyl, I am a little reluctant with the 320d and 328i. 

I'd get a warranty and have an m3, so performance isn't a huge concern.

Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 7.51.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 7.51.53 PM.png

Have driven the 320d alot and it is pretty popular. Its a good all round car, good for daily duties and if you want a bit more punch then sport mode gives you want you need. Haven't seen any major faults with them coming through

• Thanks 1

330d/335d are probably overkill for your needs if you have an M3 - though N57 is a nice motor. In gear performance from the 320d is absolutely fine for DD use. B47 (in LCI F3x) possibly slightly less trouble from a timing chain perspective than the N47 in the pre-LCI.

I didn't think the 320i/328i were anything special when I test drove them.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, qube said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2061126657

330d xdrive.. damn good price and low kms too.

dont sleep on it!

I would say the price is fair given the spec is so poor on that one (halogen headlights on an 80k NZD car wtf)

This for me is the best VFM F31 atm. Great spec and NZ new

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2157020647.htm?rsqid=ec9605f13abd481eac91d1f1603c7b01-002

Edited by balancerider

didnt notice the halogen lights but aside from that, the other neg is the small idrive display and the small screen on the cluster. 

the plus is msport kit, seats, wheels, colour, and the 3 spoke thin steering wheel.

that silver one is a great spec such as sunroof and towbar but otherwise to me it looks boring and undesirable (personal opinion)

Also, cant really compare 320d vs 330d. 

the 330d is a good 4-5k cheaper than market and its the lowest mileage amongst it.

41 minutes ago, balancerider said:

I would say the price is fair given the spec is so poor on that one (halogen headlights on an 80k NZD car wtf)

Import - so doesn’t have all the NZ market spec on it. Another reason it’s cheaper.

11 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Import - so doesn’t have all the NZ market spec on it. Another reason it’s cheaper.

but most nz new f series ive seen is the same spec as this UK one, small display, small cluster screen, and halogen lights sometimes.. also nz tends to have a lot of non msport kit versions.

what is "nz market spec" exactly?

1 hour ago, qube said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2061126657

330d xdrive.. damn good price and low kms too.

dont sleep on it!

I've viewed this car. I see he's recently dropped the price. At this level it's a consideration for me. 

But the spec is so low. Small screen, manual seats, no camera, no HUD, halogen lights (!). A few shopping trolley dings. It does have electric boot and heated seats. 

59 minutes ago, balancerider said:

This for me is the best VFM F31 atm. Great spec and NZ new

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2157020647.htm?rsqid=ec9605f13abd481eac91d1f1603c7b01-002

Would only consider Motorsport versions personally. But yes, looks like a value. 

16 minutes ago, qube said:

but most nz new f series ive seen is the same spec as this UK one, small display, small cluster screen, and halogen lights sometimes.. also nz tends to have a lot of non msport kit versions.

All the NZ new 330xd's came with adaptive headlights and pro nav. I think there were a few pre-production non xdrives with halogens / otherwise low spec.

The sports seats and M sport wheel are definitely nicer. I think the black NZ new F31 330xd in Chch is a better bet

47 minutes ago, balancerider said:

I think the black NZ new F31 330xd in Chch is a better bet

Sold

1 hour ago, qube said:

Depends on the model and sometimes the year, but in the case of the F31 330d the Professional Navigation, and hence larger screen size, was a standard feature. Standard headlights were Xenons, with the adaptive functionality a cost upgrade. Motorsport was not standard but probably 90% of cars were optioned with it, and for NZ the 19" rims were included as standard with motorsport, whereas many markets stuck with the 18"s and charged for the upgrade. Later versions got the extended display as standard - with the bigger screen in the cluster. NZ F31 / F31 3-Series had leather upholstery as standard, most markets offered cloth as the entry level. 8-Speed Sports Auto as standard across the range, non-sports auto or even manual standard in some markets. Those are some of the more obvious things.

320i and 320d would be different again as spec varies across models (bigger engine usually has more standard spec as higher price point), Business Nav was standard on those, with Pro Nav being an upgrade - pretty sure Xenons were standard though, but it's been a long time since ordering those.

I was just comparing what was on that particular 330d Touring against what you would see on an NZ new version of the same.

• Like 2

So any further opinions/experience with 4cly F3x motors?

Cheers

Just to clarify, you are talking about the N series motors right? pre MY2015

I think they are decent and wouldnt rule it out if you just want a car for practicality.

Only thing for me is I would want to be paying much less for a 320i for example when I know I can get a 330i/335i for not a lot more and get heaps more fun.

N and B (the later diesel). Specifically 320d, 328i, 330i

Pick of that bunch for me would be the 320d done 10s of thousands of kms on that motor in both 320d sedan and 320d xDrive touring.

Great compromise between performance and economy. Enough torque to over-take a truck and trailer unit quickly even when loaded up, yet range of over 1,000kms to a tank on the open road.

I’ve not owned one long enough to know of any issues, but anecdotally have had much better feedback than on the previous generation.

Yes 330d would be harder to find, only a few sedan and some touring xDrive around. 4 Series offered here only in petrol, and Japanese imports very rarely diesel. Might be the odd UK one about, but again very few.

Drive the 320d and see what you think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

or buy my m135i :) its basically a station wagon or not any less practical than a 4GC

Nice try. Boot too small. 

Also my theory is that the faster this car is, the slower it will make m3 feel.  

17 hours ago, qube said:

or buy my m135i :) its basically a station wagon or not any less practical than a 4GC

"basically a station wagon"?  Have you been reading "The Jeremy Clarkson Bumper Book of Hyperbole"?!  1er's - while certainly good fun - are not capacious by any measure. ?

I havent read the book but I can fit as much in my 1 compared to our old E91 325i wagon.

The shape of the boot on the 1er, width and height means I can fit more and easier than the wagon. Only compromise is length but you can always leave it open and tie it down if required.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 7:52 PM, m325i said:

I'm looking at F31 wagons and F36 4xx grand coupes and was wondering what your opinion is on the various motors.

The sweet spot would be a 330d, but they are hard to find.

Thoughts?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2162609370.htm

1047621945.jpg

^Out of my budget, but it's a pretty good deal for a brand new car!