Sign in to follow this  
kaesark

BMW Parts

Fcpeuro

Ecs tuning

Schmiedmann

Or if your wallet has too much money in it, the dealer. 

• Like 3

Or if you want to support an NZ business, Gavin at Euro-Italian forum sponsor.

And the guy down south whose name I forget..??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Milland in Dunedin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used Milland recently, and Paul provided a very good service and competitive pricing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Gavin is a good guy. Very helpful.

2 hours ago, zero said:

Milland in Dunedin

27 minutes ago, 318Touring said:

I used Milland recently, and Paul provided a very good service and competitive pricing.

I've used Paul many times. Excellent service, good prices.

• Like 1

Learn to build a relationship with your local bmw parts department. I buy virtually 90% of the parts through them and they have never failed me in terms of pricing, service and sometimes speed (although I agree sometimes it is faster to get stuff shipped from the UK)

Wait till one day you come across the need to return a $4xxx part because of defects to some overseas vendor and they don’t want to know about it (been there with a $2000 part and never again) ... I had to do this once with the local dealership ... no questions asked when defect shown and new replacement ordered straight away and faulty part returned.

• Like 1

Had a good relationship with my local dealer and got most of my parts from them for years, until I realised even with the discount I got, they were still gouging me. Now I only use them if I need the parts now (like crush washers or something). 

Some things are reasonably priced, but most isn't. I'll take my chances. 

Depends what you mean by "gouging you" but I would expect that you would be extremely surprised the level of margin that the dealership puts on retail parts.

Whether it's the dealer or not, someone is making a killing before the parts hit the end user in Nz. It shouldn't be significantly cheaper to import genuine parts, including freight and gst, than to buy locally. I expect a higher price in nz, but not that much. 

This is a convo that's been flogged to death in other threads though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Would think they would have better rates on the newer model parts as they would be more likely to stock them?. Part of the issue is not having any options when using a dealer, ie you can buy the same OE part from a supplier for much cheaper a lot of the time.

It's just volume. And a weak NZ dollar. 

On 5/28/2019 at 12:32 PM, M3_Power said:

Learn to build a relationship with your local bmw parts department.

......need to return a $4xxx part because of defects to some overseas vendor and they don’t want to know about it (been there with a $2000 part and never again) ... I had to do this once with the local dealership ... no questions asked when defect shown and new replacement ordered straight away and faulty part returned.

Not to mention the club discount which depending on the part and time to get it on your car, can some times be a good way to go. And advice - Fabian and Coombes here in Hams is beyond helpful and my go to for parts advice and i'd say i probably do ~50% of parts purchasing through them exactly for the other reasons you mention @M3_Power 

I'd also use them for install for a lot of stuff, cause i'm not really that handy lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hunter said:

Not to mention the club discount which depending on the part and time to get it on your car, can some times be a good way to go. And advice - Fabian and Coombes here in Hams is beyond helpful and my go to for parts advice and i'd say i probably do ~50% of parts purchasing through them exactly for the other reasons you mention @M3_Power 

I'd also use them for install for a lot of stuff, cause i'm not really that handy lol

Second recommendation for Fabian and CJ. ?

Lovely lass works reception a couple of Saturday's a month, too. Although I may be biased - she is my daughter. :)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/28/2019 at 1:10 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I would expect that you would be extremely surprised the level of margin that the dealership puts on retail parts.

Was +50% when I worked for Ford many years ago

Wow, must have been back in the “good old days” ??

• Haha 1