Sign in to follow this  
qube

Eurotrip 2019

Will be heading over to amsterdam and nearby areas later on this year between 27.09 - 13.10.

Only thing decided is the return flight from Stockholm Sweden. I havent decided where I will fly to yet, maybe Brussels, Berlin, Paris, etc. lots of options. (waiting for good deals to pop up for tickets)

Any recommendations on places to go/visit?

Only requirement from the trip is need to spend 5 days in Amsterdam, otherwise totally free to travel anywhere around.

Oktoberfest is on during that time so thats a good enough reason to visit Munich otherwise it is a beautiful city. If you are planning to go the BMW museum, there are no signs but it is closed on Mondays

• Like 1

Paris is superb, Brussels is nice but... essentially not exciting.  Depends what you want to do!

As Gaz mentions above, a visit to BMW in Munich would be brilliant.  Plug here:  BMW Car Club NZ members can get access to areas and tours at BMW that are not open to the public... needs to be organised in advance.  Who'dve thought that $95 membership fee gains so much! ?

• Like 1

Other good spots are the south of France (Avignon), Rome and Stockholm. It all depends what you like and are into. I tried to spend at least 3 days in each city but you are still not going to see everything

• Like 1

Having lived in Amsterdam for 6 years I might have something to offer about the city (and country) if you have any questions. I can assure you that you'll be able to fill up 5 days pretty easily.

Berlin, Brussels, Paris... they're all train trips, forget looking/waiting for good airfares. And no airports, bonus. Also trains tend to drop you off in the centre of the city, very much unlike airports. It's also easier to carry your awesome Jack Herer or Kush with you on a train...

You can skip Brussels, well Belgium altogether actually, it's hardly a destination. Berlin and Paris (opposite directions and opposite experiences) are both "must dos" in my book, especially if you've never been before. 

Stockholm is awesome, the food and nightlife is stunning... but it's hella expensive, keep that in mind.

It's easy to get down to Italy also and it's worth doing Rome if you can, getting there via Munich is an option because as Gareth says that's worth a visit for the Deutsches Museum alone. Although a day trip out to Neuschwanstein is a pretty cool experience. I don't rate Oktoberfest for any length of time for anyone over about 30 but if you're around it's worth a visit for an afternoon/evening.

Ahh Europe, so much to see and do.

Don't forget to consider Croatia also - one of the best places I've ever visited.

Edited by M3AN

Thanks for the inputs so far and keep em coming.

The few flights that I have found are from Auckland to either: amsterdam, paris, berlin, brussels, and more and they are all similarily priced. 

So once I decide where to start the journey i will fly there, then take trains for the close places otherwise consider flying if its further.

interesting view about belgium, i thought it would have been more interesting but maybe not. It was considered because its so close to netherlands but i dont have any reason to insist on it. I think Paris is probably a good starting point otherwise berlin but apparently the flight to berlin is operated by scoot (the euro jetstar?) not sure about that..

So much to see and do in Paris.  Villa Savoye if you’re into La Courbousier; the Picasso museum, Musee d’Orsay, and of course the charming fromageries and delecatessens one finds everywhere (though the Ile St Louis seemed to have great representation)... great subway transport, and of course connections to SNCF Rail.  Just waking around and checking out the architecture used to keep me entertained.  At least you’re not going in Feb; it’s as cold as NYC at that time of year.

I always found Parisienne's very helpful. I attribute this to trying to speak French, usually receiving an enthusiastic response that was well beyond my mediocre grasp; politely explaining. (In simple Spanish) that I’m not a monolingual tourist from the EU but a visitor from Nouvelle Zealande... at which point exclamations triggered “ahhh, les All Blacks!”, happiness, and English flowed. Finishing off with a French thanks and farewell seemed to make an impression too. 

• Like 1

If you like cars and (car) manufacturing do the factory tours for Porsche (Zuffenhausen), Mercedes (Sindelfingen) - both in the Stuttgart area and BMW in Munich.  They all need to be booked in advance though and get filled up rather quickly.   The relevant museums are also quite amazing but they don't need to be booked in advance (their entrance fees are cheap).

• Like 1

Bmw factory tour of the Dingolfing plant. Where they make 5,6,7 and i believe new 8 series.

if doing Germany The Nordschleife is a must. 

I guess it all depends what you are into and like to do whilst on holidays. So many options in Europe, and big differences in only small distances.

Museums, history, food, drink, partying, relaxing... what are you after?

Fwiw, Rome is my favourite city in Europe. I could watch Italians (Romans) all day!

Pick up a new BMW in Munich. Rub shoulders with all the Russian crime bosses/politicians picking up their custom M5s. 

don't forget that Rugby world cup 2019 is on at that time.

Gosh how does everyone have such a different experience of Paris than I had?? Absolutely hated the place, expensive, super rude people and dirty as f**k everywhere (rats running around in Mcdonalds like they just ordered a Happy Meal) And if you are of Asian descent be prepared to be ignored by nearly everyone there that you ask for help. Even a nice gesture of picking up a lady’s dropped scarf and running across the road to give it to her nearly earned me a slap in the face and a I am going to call the police on you as a thank you (actually also had the cops nearly called on me because I handed in a lost cell phone from a train because they thought I’d stolen it) It’d be the last place I’d want to visit in Europe. Granted the Museums are awesome but other than that be prepared to be disappointed. Even the Taxi driver that drove us to the airport told us not to bother to visit Paris but to go to Southern France next time.

How come nobody’s mentioned Spain?? I’ve heard so many great things about it from virtually everyone that have been. Need to visit myself to see if true!

And yes Rome is a must ... I too can watch Italians all day lol!! But as they say you don’t build Rome in a day so spend a few days there and walk around - it’s the best way to see the city. Don’t know if they still do Rome passes but it allows you to skip some really long queues if you have one.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

Just got back from a 2 month trip around Europe. Highlight was certainly the south of France. Rented a car and drove along the coast up to Monaco. What an experience, highly highly recommend it. The Amalfi coast was cool too just a bit harder to get around. 

this is coming up pretty soon and was wondering what people's advice is on spending money the most efficient way.

withdraw euro's in NZ and spend the cash or use credit card, etc etc.

thanks!

We recently got back after 6 weeks. We purchased euros here onto two debit cards which we could draw on through ATM's and kuna in croatia. We never used our normal credit cards. Bosnia allowed you to use both kuna or euros. Depends where your going.

Take some Euro with you after converting it in New Zealand. Given that will probably be less that EUR1000 the actual exchange rate isn't going to make much of a difference (+/- NZ$10) so just go somewhere convenient after having a cursory look at rates online. Treat this as convenience money. Your bank may actually allow you to hold that in your account and get it out from cash machines over there when you need it (for a fee of course).

NEVER EVER use a 'hole in the wall' exchange facility overseas, that's guaranteed to be the worst rate. Equally, you'll get raped for currency conversions at airports so don't do it there.

Don't take any NZ$ to convert overseas, you'll get a better rate here (because NZ$ is more liquid here).

Put everything you can on your credit card in the foreign currency (EUR) not NZ$ even if offered, you'll get screwed on exchange rate again (plus a foreign currency fee). i.e. some of the POS units will ask if you want the transaction changed in NZ$, always say no.

If you need more cash (EUR) use a cash machine at an actual BANK (some cash machines over there are not run by banks and you have less protection as a foreigner) with your NZ EFTPOS card and either swallow the fee (~$5) or try and negotiate with your bank before you go to waive such fees (can be done). Make sure your EFTPOS card will work internationally (needs the Plus emblem on the back - otherwise talk to your bank).

Cash advance using your credit card is the most expensive way to get money. Avoid.

Edited by M3AN

Both times I went used a travel card from Kiwibank, loaded it up with heaps of Euros and pounds, and draw cash when I needed it. Took out couple of hundred at a time from ATMS when needed. Things might be different now as this was 4 years ago on my last trip

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

Both times I went used a travel card from Kiwibank, loaded it up with heaps of Euros and pounds, and draw cash when I needed it. Took out couple of hundred at a time from ATMS when needed. Things might be different now as this was 4 years ago on my last trip

Exactly what we did with the ANZ and had no issues at all. No different from using a card in Queen Street. You just need to take care and be vigilant.

basically the idea was to convert about $1500 nzd to euros (850 euro current rate) and take that and if i run out or need to make a bigger purchase other than day to day things I will use my credit card and pay in euros (let visa take care of the exchange rate).

The euro cash rate given from banks is worse off than the visa swipe rate but there is the 2% fee from the bank so it works out similar.

I wont be taking out any money from any ATM (hopefully) and am aware not to use those hole in the wall machines with dodgy rates and fees.

Just thinking maybe I should leave my main bank card here and take a "secondary/less used" bank card with some cash loaded on it etc for added safety. as in if i had $5000 in my main card and lose it thats all gone but if i load up a different card with just my budget for the trip then at least if i lose that then its a bit less.. or am I being paranoid about it? heard too many horror stories tbh about tourists being targetted and no doubt me and my friend will stick out in some places :ph34r:

Kiwibank card has no fees for using it unless you withdraw cash, fixed at $1 per withdraw per day. If you shop around or ask your bank might have something similar. Benefit is you are paying with Euros so there is no conversion fee or fee to use it

3 hours ago, qube said:

Just thinking maybe I should leave my main bank card here and take a "secondary/less used" bank card with some cash loaded on it etc for added safety. as in if i had $5000 in my main card and lose it thats all gone but if i load up a different card with just my budget for the trip then at least if i lose that then its a bit less.. or am I being paranoid about it? heard too many horror stories tbh about tourists being targetted and no doubt me and my friend will stick out in some places :ph34r:

Well, you only lose it if they crack your PIN, use NFC (small purchases) or fake your signature... but you don't really "load" cards unless you're taking a pre-paid debit card and I think that's unnecessary (and I'd never put $5k on one of those!).

Just take your normal cards, or even better, ask the bank for a spare card that doesn't have NFC. Make sure your bank app is on your phone so you can suspend a card if you find it missing... or suspend all your cards until you need to use one then it doesn't matter if any are lost.

Pickpockets will target anyone they can, some targets are easier than others, just keep your wallet safe all the time (front pocket, never rear) and you don't need to worry about them.

Edited by M3AN

Katmandu sell some really good trousers which I purchased that had great front, safety, zipped leg pockets which were deep and angled that you can't open sitting down or standing unless using two hands. I traveled with passports, phone & wallet while overseas. They are quite stylish cargo pants and were on special at the time.  https://www.kathmandu.co.nz/mens/clothing/pants-and-shorts/federate-men-s-cargo-pants.html

• Like 2

have done some research and this is my semi-conclusion.

pre loaded cards - best option is kiwibank probably for ease of use/setup but the exchange rate for this is worse than exchanging for cash.

the rate for cash or preloaded cards is both not as good as the rates by visa/mastercard if you just swipe your credit card (even taking into account the % fee charged by your banks)

the % fee charged by the bank varies quite a bit from 1.85% at kiwibank, 2.1% at asb and 2.5% at bnz (or something like that) and also depends if whether its a credit card or a visa debit card.

I'll probably take a small amount of exchanged cash and use my googlepay/credit card for anything else.

locking the cards from phone app is a good idea but if the phone is lost/stolen then you're pretty much screwed cuz you cant get the app activated without your sim etc even if you get a new phone or use a friends one. lol

50 minutes ago, qube said:

locking the cards from phone app is a good idea but if the phone is lost/stolen then you're pretty much screwed cuz you cant get the app activated without your sim etc even if you get a new phone or use a friends one. lol

True but then you can just log on via a regular browser. You may hit a geo-block and if you need your phone for 2FA you're screwed but a call to the bank would sort that. Don't use an internet cafe (use your hotel's internet) and always use an incognito/private window to do your banking (even at home!).

But I think your conclusions are sound and if you apply a little common sense it's easy to avoid the pitfalls.

• Like 1