Sign in to follow this  
Deltanz

2011 E90 LED HALO

Hey Folks so I've gotten my 2011 E90 with LCI Xenon headlights and sadly the halo's are still running a basic h8/h11 bulb so don't do them justice

I've been looking at a few options regarding led bulbs but wanting to know if anyone here has done it already and if so what results did you get as would love it to look white and crisp but  have heard led is not really worth it so be good to hear others ideas :)

Hi Derick,

The newer LEDs do can do a great job in getting your angel eyes bright and white.  Getting the inner ring bright is easy, but most people have trouble getting the outer ring bright enough.  This is where you need to get the brightest LEDs possible.

With the factory  headlights, the bulb is placed behind the inner ring, and the larger outer ring is lit up through a plastic fiber optic.  This means that regardless of what bulbs you use, the outer ring will always be dimmer as most of the light is lost through the transmission through the optic.

If you wanted the ultimate solution, it is possible to replace the plastic fibre optic rings with complete LED rings.  However, this is a big job and not suitable for the average DIYer out there.

I have a lot of experience with these as I supply and fit these lights.  If you'd like to know more, send me a PM.

Cheers,

Andrew

FYI fitting LED bulbs to headlights that didn't have them from factory are now a WOF fail

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gaz said:

FYI fitting LED bulbs to headlights that didn't have them from factory are now a WOF fail

Bloody good job too!  Safety first.

Also install angel eyes into the likes of e36/e46 are now a WOF fail too

Edited by Gaz

Hmm I knew fitting LED to main headlights was a fail but didn't think it would affect the halos as they are not a main projecting light that is used for driving 

Will check up on that before I do anything as want to stay legal 

2 hours ago, Deltanz said:

Hmm I knew fitting LED to main headlights was a fail but didn't think it would affect the halos as they are not a main projecting light that is used for driving 

Will check up on that before I do anything as want to stay legal 

I would agree with you but had a customer in yesterday which VTNZ had failed his WOF as his cornering lights were LED unless we could supply some official documents to confirm they are LED from factory 

the LED thing is being overdone.My fortuner has LEDs and whilst they are more than oK to drive behind i can tell they are too bright for others.Driviing home last night was bad,so many cars have bright glary lights and now with bright LED street lamps,its a very glare laden experience (very heavy rain last night)

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

I would agree with you but had a customer in yesterday which VTNZ had failed his WOF as his cornering lights were LED unless we could supply some official documents to confirm they are LED from factory 

Yeah ive heard people getting picked up now for non factory LED driving lights. Ive got 5W LED's in my high beam halos, pretty much matched to the factory xenon low beam halo, you'd never know they weren't factory from the outside. I get my WOF for free atm so wouldnt fail on it but id just swap them back after the WOF if i was ever in the situation.

2 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

the LED thing is being overdone.My fortuner has LEDs and whilst they are more than oK to drive behind i can tell they are too bright for others.Driviing home last night was bad,so many cars have bright glary lights and now with bright LED street lamps,its a very glare laden experience (very heavy rain last night)

Yeah that why i hate driving at night, so much light pollution these days esp with rain, it's much worse when you on a motorcycle. You don't even need low beams in the city at night to see.