Sign in to follow this  
FamilyGuy

Towbar for E61 2007

Hi all. Noob here... saw the light, got a 2007 E61 520d manual, joined the forum, all good so far.  I'll post my official noob post with a pic of the wagon later.... as time and weather and kids allow.

The only thing missing from the wagon is a towbar (and an extra 2 cylinders), especially now the tow-horse has been put out to pasture.

Any suggestions or recommendations or better still know of one that needs to head my way?  I don't really care too much about what part of the country it comes from unless it's somewhere that needs 50 modes of transport and a treasure chest of gold before landing on my door-step.

Cheers, Brendon.

I got mine from a wrecked sedan at SD European, genuine Westfalia /BMW bar, bolted straight up to the wagon, top tip, try and get one with the key for removable swan neck, mine didn't and it was a bit of a hassle to sort, also get the wiring module, I have the installation instructions from BMW if you need them.

Thanks for the tips and I'll keep your offer of the installation instructions in mind.

Hi there - I also recommend the "factory" Westfalia tow bar - it bolts onto the chassis unlike some after-market types that get bolted to the bootwell. I bought it brand new from the BMW dealer for a very good price several years ago (was a cancelled order) - I liked it so much that I removed I sold my old e60, and transferred it onto my new e60!

I can also confirm that the Sedan and Touring bars are the same item.

For wiring, I used one of these modules:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/parts-other-makes/electrics/listing-2174753524.htm?rsqid=10769303910648f09ba4aa398421c351-010

The wiring module is fairly straightforward to fit if you have some basic circuit testing tools. It's actually the exact same box that most tow-bar fitters in ChCh use when wiring up Euro cars with fussy LED indicators and park lights etc.

Cheers,

Paul

• Like 1

To piggy back off this others that have towbars on the e61 do you just have a module to intergrate the lighting? I saw a UK vid where the guy had a module that also changed the way the auto shifts gears etc when a trailer was connected

I got mine from a wrecker with the BMW module, easy to wire and disables the rear PDC when a trailer is plugged in. 

Also i found a lockon towbar on an e60 but the guy says its different than an e61. can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Edited by chuckitinbro

2 hours ago, chuckitinbro said:

Also i found a lockon towbar on an e60 but the guy says its different than an e61. can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Mine was off an e60, bolted straight onto the e61 no problem. You will probably have to cut some holes in some plastic at some stage, but mine even had the hole marked out on the inside of the trim!

10 hours ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

I've used the exact same relay on my e60. Quite easy to fit, and works well. I know that a couple of professional tow bar installers also use the same type of relay (and charge around $250 to install!)

On 6/25/2020 at 11:55 AM, chuckitinbro said:

To piggy back off this others that have towbars on the e61 do you just have a module to intergrate the lighting? I saw a UK vid where the guy had a module that also changed the way the auto shifts gears etc when a trailer was connected

The trailer module may need coding to automatically switch off rear pdc / adjust stability control with trailer attached (via ISTA)