Sign in to follow this  
francoisv

Coding my Fxx

So I've recently acquired an F10 550i ex Jap with CIC. Now as most of us know, them dealers don't like selling these with NZ Radio converted, its an extra option you need to pay for.
So after a week of listening to 88.6 Mai FM, i had about enough and decided to contact 2 or 3 places to help with the some issues I had, Radio and Bluetooth.

While making contact, i gave up my rego so they could grab the VIN and provide me with a quote. Quotes came in between $900 and $1200. Feeling the pressure of having to listen to Mai FM for any longer, i decided to pull the trigger and contact one of the places to book the car in, but before doing that, i decided to see how involved it was to re-code the car to fix the Radio and Bluetooth myself.

Google helped along with YouTube and i set out to DIY-it. I pulled out my old laptop, install some software and built my own comms cable. The only thing i paid for was the resistor i needed for the OBD-II connector, it was 70cents. After everything was installed and built, i plugged the make-shift setup into the car and tested. Everything worked like a charm. I was able to read all the available modules and also code.

Changing the radio to NZ and activating the Bluetooth for audio streaming, along with allowing multiple devices so the wife's phone could also connect, took about 60 to 90 minutes (most of which was spent reading the instructions from The Google and getting familiar with the structure of the software)

I now have all available NZ frequencies and full Bluetooth streaming. I've also enabled the Bluetooth streaming on my mates F11, who was also quoted $800 to have this done. 

Im not sure how the heavy prices are calculated, but if anyone needs the above done on their F-series that cant quite afford the $1k mark, feel free to drop me a PM and ill see if i can help ? 

• Like 7

Yep those workshops will charge you through the roof for things like that.  Lack of information and then some disinformation lead people to believe that  this sort of stuff cannot be diy'd, requires expensive equipment etc etc. 

Have you converted your navigation to NZ yet? 

8 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

Yep those workshops will charge you through the roof for things like that.  Lack of information and then some disinformation lead people to believe that  this sort of stuff cannot be diy'd, requires expensive equipment etc etc. 

Have you converted your navigation to NZ yet? 

In the process, there are a few guidelines available on The Google, however, i need to figure out which one is correct. I also need to download the NZ Maps files. Will update this thread once ive figured it out ? 

12 hours ago, francoisv said:

In the process, there are a few guidelines available on The Google, however, i need to figure out which one is correct. I also need to download the NZ Maps files. Will update this thread once ive figured it out ? 

Did a full and proper conversion myself, including ECE HDD cloning. 

Do not think 2019 Premium maps are out yet, have a link for 2018 though.

11 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

Did a full and proper conversion myself, including ECE HDD cloning. 

Do not think 2019 Premium maps are out yet, have a link for 2018 though.

Do you have a few guided steps?