Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

M8

" M Sport exhaust system fitted as standard, something which is optional on the ‘regular’ M8." 

HUH?

Yeah, these "Competition" spec M's are pure BS and serve only to line BMW's pockets and devalue cars they've already sold.

Do it properly and release the real M at the beginning of the cycle. If you need a refresh do a proper Evolution, if you want a proper special edition do a CSL, this in between "CS" BS is the absolute antithesis of what enthusiasts want.

Oh, I forgot, "enthusiasts" are no longer the target market for M cars, they seem to be developed for a different market now...

Can someone one here buy one, ill pick it up from you in 3 years. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, lord_jagganath said:

" M Sport exhaust system fitted as standard, something which is optional on the ‘regular’ M8." 

HUH?

Havent read the article but probably referring to the M performance exhaust.

22 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Oh, I forgot, "enthusiasts" are no longer the target market for M cars, they seem to be developed for a different market now...

Care to elaborate? The driving dynamics of any modern M car are an enthusiasts dream. You may rubbish all the extras, naming conventions but doesn't take away from the way the car is designed to drive and how it does drive

• Like 1

Yeah it makes perfect sense. The M8 Competition Convertible, for when you and ya M8s wanna go set a lap record at the ring.. with the top down and looking fabulous! 

Imagine how fast they would be without all the sequins and BS :D

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Do it properly and release the real M at the beginning of the cycle. If you need a refresh do a proper Evolution, if you want a proper special edition do a CSL, this in between "CS" BS is the absolute antithesis of what enthusiasts want.

This is the start of the (life)cycle of this model.

Competition models, or competition package options have nothing to do with facelift (or LCI) refresh it is just another level of  spec and options on the car.

CSL has deliberately NOT been used on these models due to the heritage that nomenclature has with BMW.

Yes, it is a bit confusing and takes a little bit of thought to understand, but it’s not that hard for those that are genuinely interested in buying to work out.

I can’t wait until the details of the G80 M3 and G82 M4 are released, some nuts will get well and truly spun.??

The new 4 Series should keep us entertained until then.

18 hours ago, Gaz said:

Care to elaborate?

18 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Yes, it is a bit confusing and takes a little bit of thought to understand, but it’s not that hard for those that are genuinely interested in buying to work out.

I don't find it confusing at all.

No enthusiast wants to buy a Mx which is effectively obsolete in 2 years. But upgrading every 2 years does appeal to some, it's just an entirely different market.

M cars of olde will be remembered forever for their class defining characteristics. New ones, they're easily forgotten and are all merely depreciating lumps of metal and silicon (edit: albeit fun for a time).

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 2

The issue really is the "//Motorsport", nomenclature, nothing about this is "motorsport". Massively fast and impressive, but not motorsport. Throw "competition" in as well and it gets even more self depreciating to the brand. 

Or maybe im just jealous that I cant afford one, well not for at least 3 years, at which point they will have depreciated faster than the brands ethos ? 

Ethos doesn't put money on the table for that trust fund baby and their multimillion dollar yacht. 

on the other hand, I long for affordable yet professional coachbuilt cars. I should get into a Mitsuoka. 

3 hours ago, M3AN said:

New ones, they're easily forgotten and are all merely depreciating lumps of metal and silicon (edit: albeit fun for a time).

How do you know that? 

Does your crystal ball say so?

I think before things go fully electric, the latest M offerings will too be memorable and appreciated.

22 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

CSL has deliberately NOT been used on these models due to the heritage that nomenclature has with BMW.

Coupe, sports, light-weight ? 

More like they deliberately didn’t want to use CSL because there’s nothing light weight about a 2 tonne missile.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

How do you know that? 

We all know that. It's already a reality. Just look at E46 M3 vs E9x for example, E39 M5 vs E60 etc.

Appeal wise, newer M's are more like AMG's, older M's are more like Porsches. I'd bet most enthusiasts would take a Porsche over an AMG.

Edited by M3AN

5 hours ago, M3AN said:

I don't find it confusing at all.

No enthusiast wants to buy a Mx which is effectively obsolete in 2 years. But upgrading every 2 years does appeal to some, it's just an entirely different market.

M cars of olde will be remembered forever for their class defining characteristics. New ones, they're easily forgotten and are all merely depreciating lumps of metal and silicon (edit: albeit fun for a time).

Markets change, consumers change so companies need to change to keep up otherwise they will be left behind so you can't really compare today's cars to the old. They may not have class defining characteristics as you put it but they are class leading. 

Enthusiasts buy for a number of reasons but I don't think depreciation factors into the purchase otherwise no one would buy a brand new car. They buy generally with the heart and not the wallet. 

31 minutes ago, M3AN said:

We all know that. It's already a reality. Just look at E46 M3 vs E9x for example, E39 M5 vs E60 etc.

Appeal wise, newer M's are more like AMG's, older M's are more like Porsches. I'd bet most enthusiasts would take a Porsche over an AMG.

The E9X and E60 are approaching the bottom of the curve now and in 5 years they will head up much like the rest of the M cars. 

They may not appeal to you but to many of the kids these days they do appeal and they are the ones who will buying them in 20 years

• Like 1

Well, part of me wants you to be right about the curve, it would be great for BMW and enthusiasts. I'm not confident though and it's not because I don't like them, I do.

As you say, time will tell, let's hope I'm wrong about the AMG comparison.

• Like 1

This forum is just full of old-fashioned "purists "

Too big/heavy/ugly/AMG/[insert more here]

M760Li was the fastest accelerating production BMW of all time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1