Sign in to follow this  
trj1965

Hanging out for my first BMW

Not quite first, our Daughter had a 318Ti which really gave me the bug for BMW’s. Have been looking for some time now at a very nice 2008 330i in the South Island with low KMs, NZ new and a very good price. What gives me pause is its been on TM for over 12mths and hasn’t sold. Have only seen it online. Looks like a real peach and I cant believe its still for sale. Just not quite in the position to push the button on this one. Sadly it doesn’t have heated seats but its non i-Drive and has non wood veneer interior. The only issue I am aware of to take precautions with is the water pump which I could happily get new for around $650 ex UK. They have so many plus points; No GDi, very reliable transmission (as far as I am aware), not too many electronic items to go bad (Re: Volvo V70 T6 which was another on the wish list) and naturally aspirated. Seems like the perfect package also with 270hp.  Also have a great BMW mechanic who knows them inside out.

Edited by trj1965
  • Like 1

The engines in the 330i’s are pretty bulletproof. Link to the listing?

Would say the 330i is a nice choice, NZ new ones of that era frequently had (dreadful) halogen headlights as standard so something to watch out for. Lowest km option in a car of that age potentially not the best choice either, I'd prefer one with average miles and a lower price especially if suspension / cooling system parts have been replaced.

There is a nice NZ new 330i touring available which may be in budget?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2181980558.htm?rsqid=b40340443c3a45859e2227dc526009fc-002

1 hour ago, BozzaFC said:

The engines in the 330i’s are pretty bulletproof. Link to the listing?

pretty sure its this one https://www.trademe.co.nz/2175974267

imo, the reason it hasnt sold is because its very very overpriced. he would need to sharpen the pencil quite a bit to take my money

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, qube said:

imo, the reason it hasnt sold is because its very very overpriced. he would need to sharpen the pencil quite a bit to take my money

Ouch, yeah, way over priced. Not Motorsport, no cruise, no paddleshift, no comfort access, no light package, no xenon, pretty basic really.

• Like 2

lol - I have no idea what a 330 should cost but if those two guys ^ say 'hell NO' in the space of 60 minutes then I'd look elsewhere.

You have been warned.

• Like 3

"Non turbo with similar output" Yeah because you left the torque figure out of the equation like the bs'ing car salesman you are.

Edited by Eagle

Also built in SA, he did send a FPO some time back for quite a bit less than Buy Now 

Any thoughts on SA built models? 

1 hour ago, balancerider said:

Would say the 330i is a nice choice, NZ new ones of that era frequently had (dreadful) halogen headlights as standard so something to watch out for. Lowest km option in a car of that age potentially not the best choice either, I'd prefer one with average miles and a lower price especially if suspension / cooling system parts have been replaced.

There is a nice NZ new 330i touring available which may be in budget?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2181980558.htm?rsqid=b40340443c3a45859e2227dc526009fc-002

Yes thats a nice wagon, really like the wagons actually 

1 hour ago, qube said:

Thanks.

Yeah, probably hasn't sold because it is a bit on the expensive side. It also lacks a few niceties like heated seats and xenons etc. It does look to be in really nice shape though. Depends what you're looking for in a car. I would aim to pay less than that though. You've got the fact that it's been on the market for 12 months on your side in terms of bargaining :)  

Yeah too much money for low spec. Dont worry about the waterpump, its an easy job and in the grand scheme of things not even particularly pricey (the cost of 2 mid range tyres..) Pretty amazingly reliable for what they do to be fair :D 

Edited by Jacko

Tim, if you wanting a BMW for the driving experience a non M sport E90 is not where I would recommend to start.  I am guessing your budget is 12k? Z4 3.0si roadster or even the coupe would be my recommendation.  Unless, you are really wanting a 4 door.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:36 PM, trj1965 said:

Also built in SA, Any thoughts on SA built models? 

All NZ new 3-Series sedans from that era through to the end of 2018 would be SA built (with the odd exception).

No difference to the Munich assembled versions, you would not be able to tell without checking the VIN information.

The SA factory is a "full" BMW assembly plant, and a lot of components are locally sourced. Not like the CKD (Completely Knocked Down, ie kit assembly factories) that exist in other markets like Thailand, Malaysia, etc.

• Like 1

As others have pointed out, it's priced rather highly for what it is.

For example, this 06 NZ new 330i has an asking price of $10k.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2179838804.htm 
Granted it has a lot more kilometers, but like he said;

On 6/13/2019 at 6:48 PM, balancerider said:

Lowest km option in a car of that age potentially not the best choice either, I'd prefer one with average miles and a lower price especially if suspension / cooling system parts have been replaced.

And for $9k you could consider this 05 import which seems to be M Sport...
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2157869663.htm
If you look into this one, I'd record the VIN and run it through a decoder to check whether it does have sport suspension.

For the same-ish money as the 08 330 you were looking at, you might be tempted by some 335s...

06 M Sport with service history since it was imported https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2180104206.htm?rsqid=eebf1e025d7e488698f6267701fdfb29-011

This 08 M Sport has been on the market for more than 6 months, so it's likely you could get him to $13k or even $12k.  https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1824923484.htm?rsqid=9179d3ae76404168b7356c096c6b1bbe-004

I also wouldn't worry about the interior trim colouring too much; it's fairly cheap to have them wrapped to a colour more suited to you. HTH.

1 hour ago, Dsdv said:

As others have pointed out, it's priced rather highly for what it is.

For example, this 06 NZ new 330i has an asking price of $10k.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2179838804.htm 
Granted it has a lot more kilometers, but like he said;

why would a nz new nice tidy example end up at a trade in warehouse? I highly doubt it has been treated that well but its just a feeling. 10k is HUGE money for a poverty spec e90. these things are headed for 5k territory in the next year.

1 hour ago, Dsdv said:

And for $9k you could consider this 05 import which seems to be M Sport...
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2157869663.htm
If you look into this one, I'd record the VIN and run it through a decoder to check whether it does have sport suspension.

its not msport, only has msport front and rear body kit but nothing else. stock seats, stock interior lining (not black but light grey), stock steering wheel, stock wheels, aftermarket tinted taillights. stay away!!

1 hour ago, Dsdv said:

For the same-ish money as the 08 330 you were looking at, you might be tempted by some 335s...
06 M Sport with service history since it was imported https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2180104206.htm?rsqid=eebf1e025d7e488698f6267701fdfb29-011

This 08 M Sport has been on the market for more than 6 months, so it's likely you could get him to $13k or even $12k.  https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1824923484.htm?rsqid=9179d3ae76404168b7356c096c6b1bbe-004

both of these look decent but you are playing a totally different game going for a twin turbo 335i n54 as opposed to a reliable and rock solid n52 3L 6 cylinder.

I recommend diving into the deep end with your first BMW

My first one was a 1993 540i with 250,000kms, needed a few repairs but was a terrific car, wish I still had it!

That said the older cars were typically more reliable than the newer stuff, and usually easier to fix 

• Like 1

If you want a reliable BMW and not a wallet drainer, stay away from anything N54 powered. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, qube said:

why would a nz new nice tidy example end up at a trade in warehouse? I highly doubt it has been treated that well but its just a feeling. 10k is HUGE money for a poverty spec e90. these things are headed for 5k territory in the next year

As they brought brand new and e90s don't end up on dealers yards. 

It's a decent car and has a very good service history, message me if you want to know more about it

Have both the n54 and n52. N52 is so much fun in the small roadster. Suits the car being naturally aspirated, nice sound too. I’ve replaced every single gasket on it at 65kms.  

But the n54 is so much nicer in the bigger car. I would take it over the N52 just for its character. It feels nicer than a V8 but the economy rocks compared. Reliability, meh, it’s a 10+ year old BMW. They all have their issues. Had the n54 for 5 years and never once had an issue. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, qube said:

why would a nz new nice tidy example end up at a trade in warehouse? I highly doubt it has been treated that well but its just a feeling. 10k is HUGE money for a poverty spec e90. these things are headed for 5k territory in the next year.

its not msport, only has msport front and rear body kit but nothing else. stock seats, stock interior lining (not black but light grey), stock steering wheel, stock wheels, aftermarket tinted taillights. stay away!!

Probably because it's too old for main dealer sales; it may not have been well-serviced (despite being low-kms for year); I've seen a few end up in Christchurch at higher price than they were pitching in Welly/The Tron/Aucks, with some of the repairs done.  Chances are (like a couple of 330i Msports I seriously looked at) it needed diff output seals, a few bushes, a trans service, an Inspection II and some tyres... it's worth about $6-7k in my opinion if it's not needing any work, and nudging $10k is madness.

IMHO, of course! ?

And still, a lot of car for $6-7k. Its stupid what the prices are falling too at the moment, surely they cant get much lower. I paid 12 for my E91 330, UK import Msport and well spec'd 18 months ago :D

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 7:03 PM, KwS said:

If you want a reliable BMW and not a wallet drainer, stay away from anything N54 powered. 

Yeah 335 is not on my radar, we have a GTi Golf and one anxiety generator is enough for me. 

Thanks for all the input, have learned to look for headlight washers to indicate xenon headlamps, the seat warmers are easy enough to spot if the interior pics are good enough. The VIN finders can be helpful as well to list specs but not sure how accurate they are. Getting better at discarding the overpriced underspecced offerings and narrowing the field down. 

• Like 1

First thing to learn is never trust the advert. The dealer or person listing usually knows jack all about the car they are selling claiming msport this mspec that. 

Better to check yourself with carjam and vin decoder

• Like 1