Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

MHD Linear throttle and Torque by gear

I need to control my 335i, it just cant get the power down without the traction control intervening. MHD (V6) has given me a lot more torque and it hits like a sledge hammer and even on a warm day with perfect traction I will get a stuttering takeoff as the tyres try to break free. I know I need an LSD but in the meantime what are peoples experience with the linear throttle and the Limit Power By Gear option. To be fair I tried the linear throttle but switched back before really giving at a fair go.

Linear throttle is a pretty huge difference from the stock maps.

At least on the N55, the MHD maps have tweaked the standard throttle response a bit so it's not as sharp as stock. In earlier versions of the maps before they did that it was pretty twitchy. I don't think the same guy does the N54 maps so perhaps he hasn't done the same.

Stock map - 50% pedal movement is 90% throttle. When you're used to that, linear feels pretty awkward.

I find in regular driving in D mode, it throws me off and I struggle to adjust to the extra pedal input required to make it downshift for an overtake and find I'm crawling in a high gear, then I might overcompensate and it kicks down hard. I should probably get in the habit of downshifting first. 
It makes it feel sluggish in normal driving and I don't know if it's because it messes up the shift points or I'm not naturally hitting the gas hard enough to hit the shiftpoints. Maybe it's also because D mode on the DCT isn't great, feels like it's tuned for grandpa drivers. 

Manual mode on the other hand, it's great, nicer throttle modulation when driving spiritedly. 

I've actually been on the standard pedal map for a while but the last map update sharpened the throttle response, so maybe I'll give linear another shot. With the extra responsiveness I might adjust to it better this time. 

• Like 1

Two of the best things I did in my 335i were linear throttle and boost by gear. Hugely recommend it.

Even with an LSD without them it was a toss of the coin to which way the back end would slide if you took off with a bit of gusto. Linear throttle meant I had much more control over how much throttle I was actually giving the engine at any one time, and boost by gear meant I could run stock boost in first gear to get off the line smoothly, a couple of PSI more in second to start hauling, and then maximum boost in the rest of the gears.

A+ would trade again.

• Like 1