Sign in to follow this  
balancerider

long term storage of car

I'm moving overseas for 12 months and have arranged the car to be stored inside with smart battery tender. Will pump tires up (to ~50psi). Thought I might leave some desiccant sachets inside the car to try to minimise condensation. Planning for oil change immediately before I leave. Car is going to be started / run intermittently while I'm away.

Any other tips?

Also - seems to be conflicting advice as to whether the car should be stored with full or empty tank of diesel? (condensation in tank vs fuel going 'off' / algal contamination)

seek some advice from some place like diesel and turbo you may be able to add some additive re the diesel bug to prevent growth.Is it a conventional garage or ??? Regular running of a heat pump on "dry" or dehumidifier may be a good idea .May be worth trying to get the tyres right of the ground.As long as you can keep the car really dry and even temps i dont think starting it is worth it unless it gets a really good run.evrything(motor,brakes,gearbox and exhaust) needs to get up to temp for a good while other wise i beleive you are doing more harm than good.(my opinion pnly)

• Like 2

I have been away for 3.5 years and have two cars stored in vented containers in Masterton.

They have had no issues with mold etc.  Was a great cheap way to store them.

Make sure when your car is started that they warm it right up to operating temp.  Not just a quick flick to see if it turns over.

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 2

If it’s a dry day get the car taken a drive not just started.

Full fresh tank of diesel would be good for over 12 months.

bleed brakes well when you take it back out.

Watch out for washer fluid, I have had that turn to jelly in storage. Dilute it a bit and fill the bottle.

I keep the windows cracked open to allow it to breathe, and a proper car cover over the top to keep dust out.