Sign in to follow this  
Azukamii

Front bumper support fab Q + rust (MR2)

Hi all, 

A few weeks back I went and picked up my 4th AW11 MR-2. Of the various bits and bobs currently being tracked down, the one that has me totally stumped is a good condition front bumper support bar.

The original bar has a far amount of rot throughout, i'm not sure if it could be restored, or if fabricating a new one would be the best (and cheaper) option. 
I'm wondering if anyone on here may know someone/ be able to do it themselves?
Figure the cost difference of getting a new one made up would be negligible vs bringing in one from overseas.

I'm located in Auckland and would prefer keeping local simply due to how much freight may cost, but am open to any options!
Do not have a time frame in mind as car needs to get the rot removed.
Couple photos of the OE bar attached. Also if anyone has recommendations on rust repair in Auckland that'd be grand! (though i MIGHT have found a guy, so pending)

bar1.thumb.png.d07a25e05fa89ca6bd3300bb6c96ee4e.png

bar2.thumb.png.8ce18fc466038eac2a56d2a03c2ac0a0.png

Wasn't sure if this would be better placed in "Engineering/ Fabrication" but then its not a BMW, so didn't think it'd be appropriate!

If its an mk1b, I believe the part number is 52021-17021 and may still be available. Mk1a are discontinued. 

Looks like it maybe quite a complex part to fabricate, but would be doable with enough time and money. 

Edited by KwS

Give Troy from Peninsula Rust and Panel Repairs a call at 09-428 3802. It's a bit out of the way maybe, but he fixes worse things than that regularly.

1 hour ago, KwS said:

If its an mk1b, I believe the part number is 52021-17021 and may still be available. Mk1a are discontinued. 

Looks like it maybe quite a complex part to fabricate, but would be doable with enough time and money. 

I believe it is! 87 SC model. I think the facelifts started around 86?
I contacted Toyota last week about various spares, unfortunately this particular part has been discontinued!
might be a couple in the UK, have been told Alex at Moonlight Racing would be a good option as he sources stuff from jp.

1 hour ago, Gabe79 said:

Give Troy from Peninsula Rust and Panel Repairs a call at 09-428 3802. It's a bit out of the way maybe, but he fixes worse things than that regularly.

Thank you, i'll give him a bell later on!! :)

I've had the same issue (as all AW11 owners do), and I ended up finding a semi-decent mk1b bumper iron to replace my mk1a.

Have a look at my old thread on the MR2OCNZ forums: https://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11518&p=101964#p101964

If your one can't be fixed, I wish you luck in finding a decent condition one to restore and conserve it. If you haven't already, it might be worth posting around MR2 forums to try and locate one...

have posted in the forums, so far no success!
That's a very thorough write up! my rails have also caved in a little to rust. I know the coolant lines burst in the car and the previous owner just sat it outside instead of trying to resolve the issue, wonder if that perhaps contributed the the rot?

do you still have your adub? be interested to take a look/ have a chat!

4 hours ago, Azukamii said:

do you still have your adub? be interested to take a look/ have a chat!

Unfortunately i've sold it and moved on to buy an E36. ...which I've sold yesterday. 

I'm still keen share my experience though :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Statek said:

Unfortunately i've sold it and moved on to buy an E36. ...which I've sold yesterday. 

I'm still keen share my experience though :)

ohh exciting! what's next on the list?
and yes please, would love to meetup/ discuss these quirky rust-nugs!

50 minutes ago, Azukamii said:

ohh exciting! what's next on the list?
and yes please, would love to meetup/ discuss these quirky rust-nugs!

I'm currently looking for E30 coupe or a wagon as a long term project - but no rush, as I have other priorities for now. 

I'll PM contact details :) 

That can be saved, have you got any photos of the back? I have 2 E21s  and had a Honda city turbo so that doesn't look too bad to me!!

• Haha 3