Sign in to follow this  
shiman

Photos and Details of the Perfect fit wheels and tyres on an E46 330ci Motorsport

I am buying photo 2, a 330ci Motorsport E46. I am wishing in the future to have it look either like photo 1 or 3. I know those are M3s and therefore more aggressive. I want the tyres straight, don’t like camber. Worse case Eibach Springs and Bilstein Struts (loves it on my e30). Would love actual photos and setup details of others who own this exact model even if it don’t look like this. This is not another post of what yours looks like. What I would love to know is with your detailed setup and photo what works or does not work. E.g. ride height, callipers, rubbing, wearing, road noise, before and after from factory, etc. thanks

DF0E443A-0449-4C2A-B5BC-1DBF1F092DB0.jpeg

11A8D482-62C4-4D2C-B27A-FB4555F02EAF.jpeg

7A683833-BF21-4EB6-97AF-B13FE882CE26.jpeg

• Like 1

So you’ve just bought photo 2 from Wellington?

Thats a low-mileage beauty, yeah?  That’ll be collectible soon, as they’re pretty rare in clean in-molested form.

I’d drive it for a couple of months before spending up on your wheel and tyre combos, and lowering it. 

You might get the gen from @Herbmiester and @eliongator as John built up the 330Ci with Ohlins adjustables, trick springs, and beeeeeg antirollbars.  It was sublime in the ride and handling department.

• Like 1

It is beautiful, and pretty rare, in its current form. 

Choice is totally yours to make, but if you’re going for looks, give it a couple months. They may grow on you. And if you’re going for handling, you’ll be surprised what a suspension refresh, bigger ARBs and decent tyres will do for the car. I’m speaking from experience. 

In any case, congrats on the purchase. It sat in my watchlist for a while, looking stunning ?

• Like 1

Thanks Guys that’s the plan to enjoy it for a while. I had another 12 years ago but it was 320i M 4 door, after 7 years it started loosing compression because of my heavy foot I suspect. I am expecting this to be much better. It is my 5th favourite BMW. The first 4 are

1. E9 CSL

2. E30 333i/M3/325iM

3. E28 M5/535i

4. E21

5. E46 CSL/CS/M3/330ci

I love these old BMWs the older the better because of their minimalist looks. I feel the new ones like the F20 and F30 which I have owned and sold are too plastic and too much going on like a Japanese sports car. I feel the clean minimalist, less is more legendary design is over and can only be enjoyed by owning these old minimalist purist vehicles. Besides buying this is recycling ?

Edited by shiman
  • Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 9:59 AM, shiman said:

I am buying photo 2, a 330ci Motorsport E46. I am wishing in the future to have it look either like photo 1 or 3. I know those are M3s and therefore more aggressive. I want the tyres straight, don’t like camber. 

Are you doing this for looks only, or something?  If you go low, you're going to get negative camber, unless you correct it.  If you want zero camber because of looks, am concerned you're going to create a car that doesn't handle.

What are you trying to acheive?

Leave it as-is, she's a beauty.  Please put 1000kms of trouble-free motoring on it first.

Edited by Olaf
spelling
  • Like 2

If you lower it to the point where the top of the tyres are at or fractionally below the guard (back wheels) you will have a small amount of visible camber. Nothing excessive and nothing to worry about. Eibach springs and matching shocks Koni, Bilstein and bushing upgrades will give you a good firm ride. I had a full Ohlins road and track setup on my E46 along with bigger anti roll bars and new bushes. This setup was superb in every respect but Ohlins are pricey. 

4 hours ago, Olaf said:

Are you doing this for looks only, or something?  If you go low, you're going to get negative camber, unless you correct it.  If you want zero camber because of looks, am concerned you're going to create a car that doesn't handle.

What are you trying to acheive?

Leave it as-is, she's a beauty.  Please put 1000kms of trouble-free motoring on it first.

Agreed Olaf, definitely only what it to look good as I think everything else is perfect. Not going to track it or anything. This car is in too good condition plus I treat my car, like I treat people, always leading with love and leaving them better than I find them.

Here is more pics of her. Do we have a place where members post their cars. Would love to see what other 330ci in Silbergrau Metallic look like. I remember with my old one back in the day sitting for a couple hours polishing these wheels with Mothers. Will do that when she comes and post a pic ?

17F366CC-E8E8-4B86-854B-031FD5EBB6F6.jpeg

241C9C4E-ABC6-489A-956B-80C4A502B9A7.jpeg

EAD13CDA-7A74-42C1-B8E7-DF761EE2F04D.jpeg

C31E80AD-3032-4060-9725-2AAFED1C6D3E.jpeg

1D15072F-5595-4CE1-BEDA-556A3BE34009.jpeg

68F8E999-2857-4177-B0D7-ADB12B3C4955.jpeg

9EF3DAB6-F54D-4156-A1A7-27CE58A56607.jpeg

Edited by shiman
  • Like 4

this was asking quite big money, did you negotiate it a bit?

Are you wanting 17s or 18s? I have tried a few different combos playing with different offsets.

Its a bit tricky to find wheels in the correct offset.

Some guys seem to compromise by getting the wrong offset and then stretching the tyres to fit - for me thats a complete no no as I would never want to compromise handling.

I have a few different size offset wheels that you are welcome to come over and test fit to see what works best before you go out and buy wheels.

• Like 2

E46 non M best fit/offset (imo) would be something along the lines of:

18x8.5 front ET 30 with 235 40 18

18x9-9.5 rear ET 40 with 255 or 265 35 18

this will allow for a flush or near flush fitment without sacrificing tyre size (no stretch) and no rubbing.

If you want to go for a square fitment then you could do the same 18x8.5 front and rear but i would presonally go at least 9" on the back with a 255 rubber minimum width. 

now if you want to do stancelife and go adjustable suspension you could even do 18x8.5 ET 13 with a 215 35 18 tyre on the front and 18x9.5 ET 25 rear with 234 35 18 but thats kind of stupid for a road car.

if you want 19's then keep the same width/offset specs as above but tyre size will be 235 35 19 and 265 30 19.

• Like 1

I have 18x8.5 et 40 fronts, 18x9.5 et 45 rears for my v8 project.

The fronts clear the coilovers by only a couple of mm's, but I dont know if they would foul standard suspension or not.

I'm going to run a small amount of camber and will go for 245 fronts and 265 or 275 rear

Here are some pics to show the clearance on the front. Bear in mind the wheels will sit much higher but the car is on jackstands for these pics.

20190316_184404.thumb.jpg.66c1dc3c03e1c4fbaf14342187420dff.jpg

20190316_182157.thumb.jpg.f8a6443ce498382b6bf7c627d4c4fa1a.jpg

I dont have tyres for these wheels yet, but here I am tested the rear suspension with the coilover fully lowered and using a 17 x 8.5 et 37 with a 255/40 for reference. The 18x9.5 et45 wheels fit on the rear but I haven't got a pic on the car. The rear guards have been mildly rolled.

20170914_153447.thumb.jpg.3ea65febf67c019ed14a1b329356b63a.jpg

3 hours ago, zero said:

I have 18x8.5 et 40 fronts, 18x9.5 et 45 rears for my v8 project.

The fronts clear the coilovers by only a couple of mm's, but I dont know if they would foul standard suspension or not.

I'm going to run a small amount of camber and will go for 245 fronts and 265 or 275 rear

A little, you get what you pay for and this car has had severe proactive service. It was the best on Trademe at that time

7 hours ago, qube said:

E46 non M best fit/offset (imo) would be something along the lines of:

18x8.5 front ET 30 with 235 40 18

18x9-9.5 rear ET 40 with 255 or 265 35 18

this will allow for a flush or near flush fitment without sacrificing tyre size (no stretch) and no rubbing.

If you want to go for a square fitment then you could do the same 18x8.5 front and rear but i would presonally go at least 9" on the back with a 255 rubber minimum width. 

now if you want to do stancelife and go adjustable suspension you could even do 18x8.5 ET 13 with a 215 35 18 tyre on the front and 18x9.5 ET 25 rear with 234 35 18 but thats kind of stupid for a road car.

if you want 19's then keep the same width/offset specs as above but tyre size will be 235 35 19 and 265 30 19.

Do you have to do anything else for 19” fitment? How is the ride with that setup? Which would be the best tyre for a better ride?

personally i would avoid 19 for our bad roads but its up to you. do you plan to ride stock height or lower? springs or adjustable suspension? it all depends..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, qube said:

^ are the style 194's for sale nathan?

No.

I'm a bit of a wheel whore lol.

I have some black reconditioned style 42 reps I'm selling though.

3 hours ago, shiman said:

Do you have to do anything else for 19” fitment? How is the ride with that setup? Which would be the best tyre for a better ride?

19s are not great on the e46. The ride would be very harsh as the tyres would have a very small profile. The tyres would also be way more expensive.

5 hours ago, zero said:

19s are not great on the e46. The ride would be very harsh as the tyres would have a very small profile. The tyres would also be way more expensive.

agreed I had 19s on a e39 and hated them, the low profile tyres were fine on Auckland motorways but I lived in HB. each pothole felt and sounded like you had hit the rim and rattled your teeth, if you saw one coming you ducked, crunched and waited for impact, it was horrible, even a manhole cover was something you swerved , car was lowered too so that added to the issue. talking to wheel shops the woman driving hubbys v8 commodores can smash a 20" just parking and hitting the kerb.

looks great but just not practical.

Style 194s work brilliantly on e46.  Give you a little more track, no rubbing issues (standard springs), use the e46 225/45R17 and 245/40R17 combo.  And they look great.  Though they're 17's; so if you're looking for that magic number, you won't be happy.

Can't stress enough.  Do put 1000kms on this car before you empty your wallet on wheels/tyres/lows.

Thanks Guys, I think it’s settled, I lived in Botany and the roads back then were fine, now I live out in Clevedon and I think I will stick with the factory and later if I consider custom it would be 18s as it seems 19s will be a nightmare for me as I love the motorsport setup but would not it to be harsher than that.

5 minutes ago, shiman said:

now I live out in Clevedon 

good driving out in that area ?

I was setting updating some software on my CGI computer this evening and while waiting I decided to have a play with the car and see if the oem wheels had a refresh with a different tint what it would be. It took a bit longer to update my computer so while twiddling my thumbs I decided to look at what it would turn out like if I had to wrap it. At the end of it I realised I like picture 1, i.e. the original look. However I do wish those oem rims were 18" They feel a little lost in the wheel well. My brother another BMW enthusiast was suggesting I tint the windows. I have to admit I like the idea of clearly seeing into the car. If memory serves me correct these windows have a UV resistant tint on them.

wheel 0.jpg

wheel 1.jpg

wheel 2.jpg

wheel 4.jpg

wheel 5.jpg

bodywork 1.jpg

bodywork 2.jpg

bodywork 3.jpg

Edited by shiman

I’ve always been a fan of the MV2’s on the E46. They’re 18s, and staggered. Could be a good option for you D15FF6A3-53AD-4F63-98B9-9BE17DAC9CC0.thumb.jpeg.3335f4df0798e591ec6e6a8203584f2d.jpeg