Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

Smoking Tail Lights - Anyone got flagged?

New e91 on the way, and thinking of a small list of things to do to it to give it some love.

I want to slightly smoke the tail lights, but wondering if anyone has got flagged for doing it?

I'm assuming that slightly smoked lights will be ok as they still meet the description?

"Must be substantially red 
Must be bright enough to be visible from 200m in normal darkness 
The stop lamps must also be visible from 100m in normal daylight (smoked lenses generally prevent this)."

Has anyone failed a WOF before after smoking their tail lights?

52 minutes ago, qube said:

yeah i was reading that, 

but are they "technically" legal?

LTNZ does state that nearly any modification can flag them as illegal.

Are you allowed top tint the white part on the non LCI lights red also?

anything on headlights is definitely illegal,

for taillights the red is fine and black is also passable if its not too dark and can be seen.

if it was me I would use tint film over spray if going black so it can be removed.

(my red tint mod was a spray though)

Why reduce the effectiveness of your brake lights? Insurance co will find this a big OUT if you get ended 

• Like 2

Technically any modification to tail/stop lamps is illegal

14. A lamp emits a light that is:

f) is altered, eg due to damage or modification.

• Like 1

Probably get your WOF in south auckland, i live there and daily see VE/VF commodores and BA/FG falcons with full headlight blackout and WOFs.

The tint place near my work had a van with full blackout opaque window tints and much heavier than 35% tinted windscreen. Also had a WOF.

As above, easy enough to get a dodgy WoF, if you really want to. However, the Insurance Assessors are much more clued up should you be involved in an accident, and if it's serious the Accident Investigation team, who will pick it up and then you are in a whole world of pain.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

As above, easy enough to get a dodgy WoF, if you really want to. However, the Insurance Assessors are much more clued up should you be involved in an accident, and if it's serious the Accident Investigation team, who will pick it up and then you are in a whole world of pain.

Good to see my paranoia was not mis-placed in this lol

the semantics with who would and would not stamp it legal is ok, but a potential issue on an insurance claim, not so much 

i think i'll just stick to stock, or maybe keep an eye out for LCI tail lights

Insurance companies are very quick to go for the “illegal modifications” or “undeclared modifications” get outs for paying up on claims. Whether it is related to or caused the accident / claim or not.