Sign in to follow this  
GorGasm

Steal of an E60 M5

Yip that is an amazing price. CIC system too.

These are super cheap now, my brother picked up one for 18k recently

No answers to the important questions though, has any of the preventative maintenance been done?

Seems to mee like "no, not in my ownership" is a reasonable answer to those questions. What more do people want? 

• Like 1

Agreed, seems completely reasonable. 

1 hour ago, aja540i said:

Seems to mee like "no, not in my ownership" is a reasonable answer to those questions. What more do people want? 

"Not in my ownership, nor in the extensive previous service history" would be a better answer... or does it not have a previous service history??

Hence why it’s at the cheaper end of the market. The fact is, if you buy one of these at some point you’re going to have to do some of these maintenance items regardless of previous history.  

Is it really that cheap though? There have been a few on fb and tm for 20-22k

It's still one of those cars that you would want to know has been looked after properly in the past, as any neglect will come to bite you hard, more so than a lot of other cars. 

7 minutes ago, KwS said:

Is it really that cheap though? There have been a few on fb and tm for 20-22k

It's still one of those cars that you would want to know has been looked after properly in the past, as any neglect will come to bite you hard, more so than a lot of other cars. 

Its 20k ono so could be had for less, The car market is a slow at the moment, particularly for mid 2000's BMWs seen e70s selling for 8k with 150km on the clock, e90s for 5k and less

11 hours ago, Gaz said:

These are super cheap now, my brother picked up one for 18k recently

And his had the SMG and I think bearings done as well, will have to check with him

I do find it difficult to believe that you can get one of these for less than a sorted E39 M5 (or E36 M3 or E46 M3 for that matter). Shocking really.

And @ 107k you're probably looking at new brakes, suspension and bushings right? What'll that cost? 8k?

And fuel... lots of fuel.

• Haha 1

nope.  nuh-uh.  no way.  

I dig the e60 M5, there's no denying it.

But this one.

It's white.  And look at that number plate.

1044402134.thumb.jpg.c3be84d3dc47490f1627f0593c6467bb.jpg

Just. No.

Even a personalised plate won't rid the stains.  SMEG, perhaps? ?

• Haha 2

Always a roll of the dice but this looks to be a nice example at an excellent price - and I personally like them in white :)

Not sensible but amazing. Love driving mine ... crazy car!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

looks to be a nice example at an excellent price - and I personally like them in white :)

I like white cars too!  I've owned a couple and willdo again.  

6 hours ago, Frodo88 said:

How much does a bearing job set you back at an indy? The parts are about $1500, if you DIY? 

I spent 7k all up including a few extras, BMW quoted me 5k, I doubt you could DIY it for less than 3k by the time you get timing tools etc, and that's if you don't find any surprises in there.

7 hours ago, M3AN said:

I do find it difficult to believe that you can get one of these for less than a sorted E39 M5 (or E36 M3 or E46 M3 for that matter). Shocking really.

And @ 107k you're probably looking at new brakes, suspension and bushings right? What'll that cost? 8k?

These aren't near the bottom of their depreciation curve yet. E39's definitely on the way back up, bork potential from the V8 probably less as well. I wonder if the fact there seem to be very few Japanese imported E39 M5's (as compared to the majority of E60's being from Japan) is a contributor.

• Like 1

It’s because the E39 M5 is just so much better (totally my opinion of course ?... is there a stirring emoji?)

That V10 is glorious though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting thread.

If I was in the market (which I'm not) for an M car, then this would be in serious contention: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2157038245. High kms yes, but seems no expense spared by PO. Two less doors and impractical but an M6 would be so much fun!

IMO - if you got a V10 M car for under $20K and got at least 12 months of 'maintenance only' (oil/inspection services and fuel) bills then you are ahead. After that just enjoy it and fix things as they happen (cos they will happen eventually as with any car. The risk , as should be accepted, is just higher with these). 

You would be paid in many, many smiles every time you drive it and these will far outweigh any purchase + maintenance costs and headaches. Trust me ?.

I reckon we sometimes get a little too wrapped up in a 'preventative maintence' mindset and forget to actually drive and enjoy our cars (thats the universal 'we' and 'our')  ?.

I sometimes wish I still had one when I do my long trips and get stuck in traffic through the Desert Road haha

Edited by treone
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Autosure Insurance about $1200 for the first year? Is this a good idea?

1 hour ago, Bandit said:

Autosure Insurance about $1200 for the first year? Is this a good idea?

I'd consider it essential, and buy as many years up front as you can, you don't want them to decline renewal too soon.

I'm stunned you can pick these for $20k, that's a hell of a lot of car.

Seller of the 6er seems (real) genuine and probably has receipts, if I were in the market I'd give them a call.

Edited by M3AN

2 hours ago, treone said:

If I was in the market (which I'm not) for an M car, then this would be in serious contention: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2157038245.

This one’s been for sale for ages eh? 

Looking at the photos and the service history, I’d say this would be a better example than most with half the mileage.