Sign in to follow this  
GorGasm

Steal of an E60 M5

That m6 is good buying IMO, obviously a well cared for car, unlike most sub $30k cars of any sort in NZ

I dont think the rod bearing issue is anywhere near as bad as it's made out to be. 

Edited by dirtydoogle

39 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I'd consider it essential, and buy as many years up front as you can, you don't want them to decline renewal too soon.

I'm stunned you can pick these for $20k, that's a hell of a lot of car.

Seller of the 6er seems (real) genuine and probably has receipts, if I were in the market I'd give them a call.

If you look at the Autosure Gold policy table ... looks to me like max vehicle age is 12 years - so might just scrape in to add a policy. Not sure if this file is completely current. Jono.White@mtf.co.nz is a good person to ask, and BMW Car Club members are eligible for preferential pricing too.

image.png.7f20a8dfd9dd24b3adb4ce8137ef1223.png

I'm not sure what the problem with the questions/answers is?  People are asking if things that don't need doing have been done?  The seller responded that they haven't in his ownership, he has only maintained the car, which is totally fair.  I sure as hell am not doing 10 grand worth of work on mine at 100km unless something is dead.  There isn't a great deal of preventative maintenance you can do to be honest, if something wears out or needs replacing then I will do it, I don't call that preventative.

At $20k I think it's cheap for what you are getting, it's one of the best colour combos in my opinion and appears to be in decent condition.  What you do need if you buy one of these is cash flow.  If $20k is a significant sum of money to you, or you can't summon $10k within 24 hours then you can't afford M5 ownership.  It might sound a bit snobbish but that's just the reality as every little part costs over $1000 a piece and there's often multiple of the same part.

With regard to the M6 with 230k, that would be a prime target for rod bearings, even though I agree the problem is probably a little overblown.  I would 100% go with the M5 for the same money, no contest.

And finally vs the E39, apples and oranges.  The E60 is the more capable car and demands you have your big boy pants on if you want to push it.  The E39 has a more analog driving experience.  Both are engaging and exciting to drive and I can respect and enjoy both.

• Like 4

Unfortunately it is well known that if you don't do preventative maintenance on the S85 it will destroy the rod bearings, waiting until they NEED doing means you are up for a new crank as well!! I did mine at 150k and they were truly on their last legs.but for me it was money well spent for peace of mind and potential resale value if I ever sell it, which I won't, because M5 touring!!

?

DSC_0464.thumb.JPG.e4a5fd219376a1e28d9b3182261e9bc6.JPG

Edited by aja540i
Photo added
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1