Sign in to follow this  
captain obvious

E90 330i marketplace at the moment

Hi chaps, I'm currently after a daily runaround and I've kind of set my mind on a 330i auto having not been able to find a 130i manual that isn't rough as. It sucks because I've seen a couple of 130i manuals in blue come up on trademe and not sell before I was looking but they've not been relisted and I cant reach out to the owner :( 

..anyway back to the 330i

I've done a search on here and picked up bushings and diff seals are worth looking/listening for.

There seems to be alot on the market that are around 9-11k for a reasonable spec (HID/MSport everything, heated seats, cruise).

This one is top of my list at the moment and I'm off to see it at the weekend...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2214530871.htm?rsqid=859803b166f2489cbc98447ab9d95fff-011

I read you can give the transmission a tune to make it more drivable and less lazy, and I'll get under it to look for leaks from the diff/engine/gearbox...other than making sure everything works and nothing is clunking/rattling etc what else do I need to look for?

The above has service history from Japan.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

We can convert this to manual @HELLBM

• Like 1

If you do convert don't get a self adjusting clutch and remove the clutch delay valve. Cant wait to throw mine in the trash were it belongs, utter sh*t. 

If you want a manual 130, hold out for one, jump on the 130 faceballs group. They do come up for sale in nice spec in NZ. 

As someone who owns an auto 330 and a manual 130, they are very different cars despite sharing many parts. 

Edited by Jacko

I wouldnt convert a 330i, I'd just pep the gearbox up a bit. 

The frustrating thing is there are a couple of blue 130i manuals that came up and didnt sell about 6 weeks ago (owners said moving overseas) and I have no way to contact them. It was perfect spec. 9k, blue, msport, 90k km, manual :( 

What is the fb group name?

I'm basically after something between mature and fun from time to time, I have a low km clean Evo 9 for weekend drives so this would be mostly commuting and running around.

23 hours ago, Eagle said:

If you do convert don't get a self adjusting clutch and remove the clutch delay valve. Cant wait to throw mine in the trash were it belongs, utter sh*t. 

What issues are you having with the SAC? Mine (newly installed) is fine, no CDV so can't comment there. I have traced the rev hang I do have to the smallest lip in the world in my throttle body housing

Just has poor inconsistent engagement and feel compare to traditional clutch so much harder to get a smooth shift using the correct clutch slip,  driving slow in stop start is the worst, at speed or shifting at high rpm its ok Flywheel wasn't brand new which probably contributes a little but im certain its the SAC more than anything which isnt anything new. The M20 flywheel and clutch setup in the other car was much better even with the wrong throw out bearing, had no gear rattle either.

On 7/4/2019 at 9:12 AM, captain obvious said:

I wouldnt convert a 330i, I'd just pep the gearbox up a bit. 

The frustrating thing is there are a couple of blue 130i manuals that came up and didnt sell about 6 weeks ago (owners said moving overseas) and I have no way to contact them. It was perfect spec. 9k, blue, msport, 90k km, manual :( 

What is the fb group name?

I'm basically after something between mature and fun from time to time, I have a low km clean Evo 9 for weekend drives so this would be mostly commuting and running around.

BMW 130 owners unite

Have you driven a 330 or 130? 330s are nice cars, and not "slow", but nowhere near as fun as 130, much nicer to drive a reasonable distance in though... horses for courses. 

Thanks for the advice everyone, I bought a 330i in Lemans Blue at the weekend. It arrives Tuesday if the registration etc gets done in swift order :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, captain obvious said:

Thanks for the advice everyone, I bought a 330i in Lemans Blue at the weekend. It arrives Tuesday if the registration etc gets done in swift order :)

result!  pics or it didn't happen! ?

On 7/8/2019 at 9:09 AM, Olaf said:

result!  pics or it didn't happen! ?

Not until given it a wash, its absolutely filthy.

Its my daily but I'm already working on a massive list of stuff to do...

To do...

Radio update (JDM YO!)

Adjust rear passenger door alignment

Paint in a couple of stone chips

Wash, cut & polish wax or ceramic coat.

Headlight restoration

steering wheel trim replacement

Replace a couple of interior plastic panels that are scratched

Change the fluids other than the engine oil (done on purchase) ...so diff, coolant & check brake fluid for contamination

Check brake pads so I know what they've got left in em.

• Like 2