Sign in to follow this  
networkn

Tyres Recommendation for 2015 335D Touring

For the above car, I am running factory supplied tyres. Bridgestone Potenzas Runflats.

I am looking for replacements.

Priority is grip (These have been excellent), then Noise. These ones are crazy noisy, sometimes inside the cabin on rough roads, it's nearly impossible to hear.

Thanks very much

Eagle F1 assy 3s, great all round. 

• Like 1

Depends on your budget but for their price bracket Michellin PS4's are likely the best for your requirements

Have been running RE003's for the last 3 years but looking at reviews of the PS4 I'm pretty sure I'll be giving them a try on the next tyre change. The RE003's have been great tyres with really good grip but it looks like the PS4 do everything the RE003's do but with finesse, a bit more dry grip and quite a bit more wet grip. I'll be interested to follow this thread to see what others think about the PS4.

I went from Assy3s to RE003s recently. 

Assy 3s are WAY quieter and actually feel better on the pointy end than Re003s, not that RE003s are bad just that the F1s felt better, like they are pointing where you want. 

Dry grip, probably very similar, hard to quantify. F1s are also EPIC in the wet, you can lean on them hard without fear as they feel very sure footed and progressive. 

RE003s are also much cheaper. 

I'm also happy with the Goodyear F1's on my M3. I run a staggered setup with 255 A3's on the rear and 225 D5's up front, it works well for me. I thrash it whenever I can and they haven't let go on me in any unexpected fashion so far.

Edit: they are very quite which may explain why I think the Pirellis on my 328 are crazy loud. 

Edited by M3AN

1 hour ago, networkn said:

For the above car, I am running factory supplied tyres. Bridgestone Potenzas Runflats.

I am looking for replacements.

Priority is grip (These have been excellent), then Noise. These ones are crazy noisy, sometimes inside the cabin on rough roads, it's nearly impossible to hear.

Thanks very much

Are you wanting runflats? If so - the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3's are probably best. If not Michelin PS4S

For the record my Goodyear F1 experience is not on runflats... in fact i didn't even know they were available as such!

• Like 1

Running PS4S on c63, pretty happy with them. All the research i did was that they were the best road tire money could buy. The tradeoffs in wet grip with the Trofeo R or cup sport were too much for the small dry grip gain. 

Note PS4S is different than PS4, 

PS4S replaces the super sport whereas PS4 replaces ps3. 

+1 pilot sport 4Ss,  have them on the back of the M5, can't fault them.

Edited by aja540i

Have the PS4 on the M5. Couldn’t get the PS4S in that size. Might be different now. They’re excellent. Great price too 

I think PS4S only come in 19 and above from memory?  Something like that anyway.

• Like 1

I’ve got the PS4 on my car. They completely changed the driving experience. Way more grip and better turn in. Highly recommend. 

Pricing isn’t that bad either

As far as I can tell, PS4S aren't available in NZ as run flats? Beurepaires is trying to sell me PS3Z?

From the research I have done, pretty much the world over the F1 A2's and A3's rate highly. Can't get RFT in A3's apparently. A2's are also the cheapest, which isn't a priority, but a nice bonus. 

Thanks for the recommendations. 

Edited by networkn

4 minutes ago, networkn said:

As far as I can tell, PS4S aren't available in NZ as run flats? Beurepaires is trying to sell me PS3Z?

Everyone hates RFT because they have such sh*t ride. 

I was told that technically to get a WOF you must have a spare if you don't have RFT? (Some cars came from the factory with no spare and no RFT though?)

Regardless, unless it's your fairer other doing long distances, most would recommend going for normal tyres and getting an inflator kit. (The OEM BMW one is like $150). 

If you can spring the cash, go for PSS or PS4s. 

If you're keeping it tight, I was happy with RE003 - or the Eagles everyone is saying above. 

If you drive it hard though, you won't regret the Michelins. Best 'mod' for the money.

Post pics of the car! Rare model !

I absolutely hated my runflats, swapped to normal Dunlops and could not be happier. Have a BMW pump kit sitting in the boot, so far has only been used to pump up all sorts of balls :D

It's not as night and day as some people suggest the Michelin is to other premium tyres. I've used them before, absolutely top tier but others do compare. Just saying.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, M3AN said:

It's not as night and day as some people suggest the Michelin is to other premium tyres. I've used them before, absolutely top tier but others do compare. Just saying.

Indeed. Went from F1 AS2 to PS4. The PS4 has noticeably more grip in the dry, while the AS2 has better grip and control in the rain.

Not a huge difference, I've noticed this just from testing the limits and having fun pushing the car in quiet places. In regular driving I never hit the limits with either tyre, rain or dry. 

In NZ, that just about puts them in a tie IMO. The difference either way is small though, so you can't really go wrong either way. You can't escape having to deal with both conditions here, so neither tyre really wins out overall. 

PS4S would offer even more grip in the dry, possibly sacrificing wet performance slightly more. For a weekend car where you want maximum grip for fun times, it may be worth going for this one. But for a daily... I wouldn't spend extra for it, it'll be a waste having it wear out on slow boring commutes :)

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:56 PM, networkn said:

I know what you mean about the noise from the Potenzas, the coarse chip (or should that be cheap chip) that is getting more and more prevalent on North Island roads is very noisy to drive over.

That said to compare with the M cars on the Michelins I would say that the noise from the Michelins is WORSE on the same stretch of road than the Potenzas. Now, some of that could be due to a slightly lower profile in some situations - but not always.

Grip wise I have very rarely got to the limits of the Potenza, and only on track for the Michelin. So yes, you would get a bit more grip right at the limit, but I would suggest there may not be much of an improvement in noise, if any. Any one got a car with the right size Michelins on it for a back to back test?

@E30 325i Rag-Top In the end I settled on the F1 A2's because there was a significant jump to most of the others, non RFT's aren't an option and reviews and recommendations seem to indicate they were reasonable good. Hopefully better on the coarse chip than the potenzas (Which I do really rate for grip and feel usually). I am hoping I don't end up hating them, but I am really only less than a year out from replacing the 335D with a M340i xDrive or C43 AMG Estate. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, m325i said:

Everyone hates RFT because they have such sh*t ride. 

I was told that technically to get a WOF you must have a spare if you don't have RFT? (Some cars came from the factory with no spare and no RFT though?)

Regardless, unless it's your fairer other doing long distances, most would recommend going for normal tyres and getting an inflator kit. (The OEM BMW one is like $150). 

If you can spring the cash, go for PSS or PS4s. 

If you're keeping it tight, I was happy with RE003 - or the Eagles everyone is saying above. 

If you drive it hard though, you won't regret the Michelins. Best 'mod' for the money.

Post pics of the car! Rare model !

You don't have to have a spare tyre to get a WOF, but if you have one it has to have legal tread depth and be secured. M5 has a can of goo from the factory and no runflats.

I believe there are also requirements for not mixing rft and non rft on the same axle, but not 100% sure.

Pretty much. You don't need a spare for a Wof but if you have one on board it has the be in a secured in separate compartment, tread doesn't matter but the only low tread ones ive seen were clearly make that way on purpose. Cannot use different tyre construction type or tread pattern on same axle

You can’t mix RFT and non-runflat on whole car NOT just per axle. It’s different to tread pattern and construction, check the VIRM.

Yeah missed it but i dont know who would given it defeats of both options.

Edited by Eagle

Have had both the Goodyear and PS4, both excellent tyres but the PS4 wins. Currently running PS4s on my 335d and they are perfect for the car.

Edited by ashmill