Sign in to follow this  
rxsumo

FS 1972 BMW 3.0S (E3)

1972 BMW 3.0S - manual.

I'd thought I'd see if there is any interest in the car here before firing onto other car sales sites.

The car hasnt been restored, but had any rust cut out and a bare metal respray back in 2006 by the Surgery in Tawa. The seats were reupholstered in materials closely matching the original textures and colours at the same time.

Car is a good runner - I suspect that the engine had some work prior to us purchasing the car - in January we took it on a camping road trip - Wellington to Coromandel via the East Coast - only issue was perished rubber exhaust hangers that needed to be replaced on route.

Huge amount of spares available with the car including panel cuts from a rust free 2500 we wrecked.

Car is currently on 15 inch E34 rims - but there are a number of 14 inch wheel options within the spares including... virtually unused set of steel wheels, hubcaps and trims, two sets of the correct option alloy wheels and hubcaps, and a genuine set of 1970s Minilite alloys.

Included in the sale is set of BMW Workshop manuals for the E3, Part 2 of the parts manual for the E3, original brochures from the Earl's Court Motor Show that the original owner got prior to purchasing the car, and a pair of Midlock carb balancers for setting up the carbies.

This isnt a car I had intended to sell, but but health has taken a major turn for the worse - and I need to empty my garage

I was hoping to get around $12K for the car, but am open to offers

IMG_3364 (2).JPG

Edited by rxsumo
  • Like 6

Hi Darryl, that is a lovely car, is there a chance there may be more photos of the inside and out? also is it a current runner? 

Heya Darryl, good to see you here! One of my images of your lovely E3 from the Brit and Euro show was in the Autumn issue of DIXI (BMW Car Club NZ quarterly magazine).

Folks, this car is a beaut.  If you’re thinking of an E3, you should certainly move quickly.

• Like 2

Hi there does it have a current wof? Where is the car located? Can you send through more photos? 

_dsc8943_4000_300dpi.thumb.jpg.0cadebf868f11cb6661180485fcb8422.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lord_jagganath said:

Hi Darryl, that is a lovely car, is there a chance there may be more photos of the inside and out? also is it a current runner? 

Once the weather improves down here - I'll get it out of the garage and get some more pikkies. Its WOFed and Rego'd  - so yep its a current runner.

• Like 2

Heres some interior pikkies - I'll do some exterior ones once the weather clears.

The car has the "big toolkit" and its only missing the pick for adjusting the tappets.

The steering wheel is a factory option one that came from a highly spec'ed 3.0Si that we owned - original wheel is included in the spares

Only trim inside the cabin that was retrimmed was the seats - carpets are original.

I replaced the original english spec Panasonic cassette player with an early Alpine unit - the original is in the spares, along with a period OEM spec Blaupunkt .

The car did very little miles in the UK - the original owner brought this solely as an investment whilst on his OE - so the underside has had no exposure to the typical salted roads

The rust in the car was around the chrome trims and the usual E3 rust traps - leading edge of the bonnet was probably the worst.

The car's WoF expires this month - but will be WoFed when sold, and the car is located in Wellington

SAM_0345.JPG

SAM_0346.JPG

SAM_0347.JPG

SAM_0348.JPG

SAM_0349.JPG

SAM_0350.JPG

Edited by rxsumo
  • Like 9

Awesome tool kit. Seeing the tool quantity shrink over the years is a laugh but given you a need a roller cab to work on a modern BMW it makes sense.

4 hours ago, rxsumo said:

I replaced the original english spec Panasonic cassette player with an early Alpine unit - the original is in the spares, along with a period OEM spec Blaupunkt .

I’m interested in the spare period radio for my 1974 2002 Turbo if it’s available separately at all, thanks.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
Massive quote not neede

Wow! @rxsumo I have shared your post here with the BMW Car Club closed Facebook Group as we may have interested members. 

• Like 1

Hi Darryl, 

Hayden here from rotary days. Nice car. Good luck with the sale. 

20 hours ago, Kchap said:

Hi Darryl, can we have your contact details please? Thanks Kathryn

Hi Kathryn

darryl.monk@xtra.co.nz

Cheers

Darryl

Sorry - not so flash photos - but my overnight stay in hospital got delayed - so didnt get the opportunity to get the car out, and the sun was too low once I got home.

I'll try and get some better shots later in the week

SAM_0351.JPG

SAM_0352.JPG

SAM_0353.JPG

SAM_0354.JPG

SAM_0355.JPG

SAM_0356.JPG

• Like 5

Hey Darryl, if I can help with photos, just give me a shout.  I trust your recovery goes well.

Richard

Edited by Olaf

Hi Darryl,

Does the car have current WOF and reg?

Hi all,

Not being a Facebook person, I only learned last night via a random nostalgic visit to the mazda rotary enthusiast club page that unfortunately Darryl passed last August.

RIP big guy...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Another good bugger gone from the world, RIP Darryl indeed.

Had the pleasure of his company, and laid back approach to scrutineering, at Manfeild for a good number of years.

• Like 2