E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

On 7/28/2019 at 7:04 PM, Cale said:

Unbelievable condition: https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/view/content/259834/full/1/259828

I'd probably have saved myself $20k and gone for Jay Kay's E24 635CSi though...

Drool, that's exactly how I am re-upholstering my convertible's interior 

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:51 PM, GetCam said:

Zee had one that needed light restoration that sold a number of months ago for approximately 15-16k, so around $20k wouldn’t seem out of the question. There was only ever 24 brought into New Zealand new as far as I’m aware. 

A few years back there was a 'kinda-census' done on here, of how many of the e30 318is's were known to still exist here or able to be noted as to the 'where-now' status.From memory at the time about 18 were mentioned as coming to NZ through BMW Dealerships; and also from memory 15 came to light then. There could/would have been a few more perhaps imported since too, I expect.

At the time of the 'census' I had a couple and bought an engine and gearbox from one that was being given a 325i transplant. I sold one about 20 years ago when I needed some money to buy an e30 M3 and have kept one with the engine/gearbox and it is still in use with 175,000 kms clocked up. I know a couple were crashed and doubt they were ever repaired.

My 'guestimate' of a bakers dozen  of e30 318is's still remain in NZ?

My favourite BMW - the BMW e30 318is!

A quick check of the full info from the end of 2018 shows what looks like 14 of the NZ New cars still registered (including rego on hold) and what looks to be about 8 imports under various different descriptions of 318iS / 318i S / 318i5, etc that fit the criteria of an E30 model. Still a very rare and under-rated car.

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Still a very rare and under-rated car.

I think they're awesome. M3 junior. A pity (in my opinion) that BMW didn't make a lot more of them.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:48 PM, gjm said:

I think they're awesome. M3 junior. A pity (in my opinion) that BMW didn't make a lot more of them.

In the late '80's the e30 318is was BMW's response, in particular for the VW GTI and other twin cams pouring into the US. They were to cover the gap prior to the e36 m42 318is being launched.Quite a few e30 318is's were released into Europe too. NZ were given a handful as Jon has mentioned. 3 years ago I spent a few months in the UK looked at buying one to use during that stay thinking I could buy one for 1-2k pounds as before but even the basket cases were double that and a good one nearer 10k pounds.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:23 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

A quick check of the full info from the end of 2018 shows what looks like 14 of the NZ New cars still registered (including rego on hold) and what looks to be about 8 imports under various different descriptions of 318iS / 318i S / 318i5, etc that fit the criteria of an E30 model. Still a very rare and under-rated car.

Thanks for that Jon, good to verify there is a good 'quorum' of them still around. I once owned an e28 520i Alpina.

Interesting glimpse into the past at the prices of E30s. Car in question is a pov spec, manual 316i, bronzit facelift coupe that had 80,000kms on the clock 20190826_140359.thumb.jpg.25f7a693523b21e5c3d2ec2d653e38c9.jpg

Screenshot_20190826-142458_Chrome.thumb.jpg.27c274ed21177ba9ba74142ccdbe18a6.jpg

Edited by Cammsport
Added inflation
  • Like 1

I'm seriously thinking of getting out of my F61 Motorsport and getting a E30 Couple manual and holding on to it for ever, I don't need to do many miles a year as have plenty of motorbikes. Interested in possible swaps.

had a quick look on trademe to see if there are any tidy e30 coupes for sale.

there is none except for one that is listed for $13k which is wildly overpriced

4 hours ago, qube said:

had a quick look on trademe to see if there are any tidy e30 coupes for sale.

there is none except for one that is listed for $13k which is wildly overpriced

$13k might be reasonable at the moment if it ticked alot of boxes.

There’s a couple of black E30 Coupes and one white one on there at the moment, all reasonably priced at $110k+ ?

They are M3s though (but still over priced).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

There’s a couple of black E30 Coupes and one white one on there at the moment, all reasonably priced at $110k+ ?

They are M3s though (but still over priced).

Yeah, an asking price is a 'dreamers/wishing' price and a sale price is ' the willing buyer and willing seller mutually agreeing  on a price'.

How do we get to what a reasonable price might be though?

Seems like trying to diagnose a rare medical condition, the diagnosis is likely to between a biopsy and an autopsy I expect.

Or more to the point is it, 'if I have 'no money in the bank' versus ' having lots of money in the bank'  I can buy the dream/wish car as opposed to not?

Sales of several e30  M3's, I have had knowledge relayed to me, would suggest needing $70-90k in your bank to buy one. There have been a couple sold less than that but would have required $20-30k to be spent to bring them to a 'good condition' again I believe.

You can get M3s for much better value overseas, even adding in flights to view and shipping plus tax.

The one at Dutton’s looks well over priced $140k with awful rims and boy racer steering wheel. Odd that the expansion tank looks brand new but the paint on the rocker cover (such an obvious point) has not been fixed..? Weird.ECC73727-6653-47D6-841E-8E24E2BAB9D2.png

6 hours ago, gjm said:

1 hour ago, Allanw said:

Their "0" key appears broken....

Certainly looks way OTT.
That said, they can go for up to $1k here. In perfect condition, of course.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:38 PM, Blackie said:

Everything at Duttons is overpriced. $10k+ for a Morris Marina there 

Apparently they think that the E30 M3 is in "showroom condition", and "collector quality", hmm. My definitions of both are a bit different on both counts. And that's just from the photos, not even looking at it in person.

On 8/8/2019 at 1:23 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

there's one in Welly that Andy knows, UK import, painted with bed-liner.  It's somewhat feral, but is a beautiful, functional thing!  ?

The unixnerd (up in Scotland) has been saying for nearly 20 years that the e30 318iS is a wonderful thing.  Seems people are starting to listen, even scruffy rusty ones are turning up on e30 Zone for over 3500 sterling.

I figured they were too hard to find here, being so scarce to start with, so my little 316i is undergoing a slow and steady transformation into a 316iS and ultimately a 318iS. 

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Apparently they think that the E30 M3 is in "showroom condition"

That very much depends on your definition of a showroom... ?

On 8/26/2019 at 2:15 PM, Cammsport said:

Screenshot_20190826-142458_Chrome.thumb.jpg.27c274ed21177ba9ba74142ccdbe18a6.jpg

I went looking, after reading your post.  Very interesting!  https://www.rbnz.govt.nz/monetary-policy/inflation-calculator 

Made me feel better about our dwelling, having purchased in 1997 for what seemed like a king's ransom at the time.

10 minutes ago, C-130 Hercules said:

That very much depends on your definition of a showroom... ?

Exactly, if that is showroom condition then what would they call your Meister...? Off the chart.

And if that's $145k, then yours is where....