E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

2 hours ago, gjm said:

14" Basket weaves needing a refurb - $500 (although fitted with good condition, but very-cheap-to-buy tyres).

15" basket weaves - $2k.

The world has gone quite, quite mad.

I got my 15x8 BBS RG003's for $400.  $2k for some shitty weaves.  Nope.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gjm said:

14" Basket weaves needing a refurb - $500 (although fitted with good condition, but very-cheap-to-buy tyres).

15" basket weaves - $2k.

The world has gone quite, quite mad.

Graham.  A set of rough 14" baskets is $300-500.  if you need straightening, add another two-to-four hundred.  Need waffles?  USD125 each.  Got waffles but need badges?  USD50 for a set.  Now think about refinishing.  A day's labour to prep by hand.  Now your paint materials cost - $110-150, as you're using quality materials.  now another half day of your time to paint them.   Now you want to put tyres on?  $450-600.

15" baskets - two sets sold recently at around a grand.

There is no money in refurbishing wheels if you are looking to sell one unless they are one of a kind. I picked up some 14inch weaves for $160 with no centres. I wouldn't bother getting centres from USA, just as cheap if not cheaper at the dealer

To pay $500 for some 14inch weaves, you would hope they are mint

• Like 2

On 12/3/2019 at 5:31 PM, Gaz said:

There is no money in refurbishing wheels if you are looking to sell one unless they are one of a kind.

This is the sad truth now. People got cheap and wheels got expensive. Also the supply of decent used wheels to refurb dried up

On 12/3/2019 at 5:31 PM, Gaz said:

To pay $500 for some 14inch weaves, you would hope they are mint

and this is the crux of the thread.  Some people are *hoping* for mint wheels for $500.  The cost of refurbishing wheels on top of the current market rate for a set, takes the price well above $500.  Eventually, the market will meet $800-900 for a set of 14 inch weaves, because the supply is low, demand increasing, and people prefer not to sell at a loss having put money in to bring them up to scratch.

I'd happily refurb my steelies and hubcaps with great paint and new badges.  Nobody'll pay $200-250 for em.  So they'll go out patinated... or go to the scrappers.

There seems to be an assumption that money spent on refurbishing wheels should able to be recovered. Like any modification imho that's not guaranteed.

• Like 1

When the price on some new wheels is so low, this then makes the prices of the "used" wheels come down as well. Why would you pay $500 for a ratty set of 14" weaves when you can buy a shiny new set of 15" Chinese replica wheels for $700 payable at only $5 a week for the next fifteen years? Who cares about the fact they are not like for like, and the old weaves will still be useable long after the Chinese rubbish has fallen apart on the NZ roads.

Personally I think 14" weaves look very average on an E30 after all these years, that combined with the massive sidewalls of the tyres has the ratio all wrong. I guess I have been influenced by all the new stuff rollin' on 22"s with 30 profile rubber. That view seems to be shared by many as there is very little demand for the smaller wheels, and the 15" version is very sought after. Hence the market value of each type, and as a knock-on effect the cost of the centres to go with them.

• Like 1

15" and 16" is the sweet spot on E30's for me.  17" on a race car looks the best though.  Like the DTM E30's.  Mmmmmm.

5 hours ago, Driftit said:

15" and 16" is the sweet spot on E30's for me.  17" on a race car looks the best though.  Like the DTM E30's.  Mmmmmm.

15 for a daily, 16 for the 'special' car. 

And yes - 17s on track. 

• Like 1

So this popped up on TradeMe today, looked quite tidy from the first picture on the feed, and the asking price caught my eye, $13,000NZ. Should be good for that price thought me..

E30 SE.PNG

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2438726726.htm

Pros - It's an E30, it's factory manual, it's a nice colour, it's got 15" weaves WITH centre caps. It's had some major maintenance jobs done in the recent past.

Cons - it's a 320i not a 325i, drivers seat ripped and mis-matched to other seats, odometer in miles (190,000+ kms), Uk Import (can I get a "rust" in the house?)

Will be interesting to see how long it stays on TM at that price in that condition.

That one’s been on TM for months at the same price. Think it might have been discussed on here before somewhere 

Yeah it's been on and off trademe, front what I remember someone said that the photos hide a number of blemishes

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2019 at 6:18 PM, gjm said:

15 for a daily, 16 for the 'special' car. 

And yes - 17s on track. 

the e30 bibles all note that 17's are - essentially - completely unecessary on an e30.

• Confused 1

I'm not sure where these bibles are, or who writes them, but I think in this instance they are incorrect.

The last of the DTM E30 M3s (the greatest E30 of all time) ran 18"s, there are a number of E30 M3 road cars (mainly in the US and Europe) that are running 18's and look awesome. And possibly the coolest looking E30 in NZ, Hybrids Tech1 is running 18" BBS LMs which are absolutely spot on in terms of size and fitment.

• Like 2

_DSC9855_1600_300dpi.thumb.jpg.5b85c3113e36e37b5b69fbc3b3afca44.jpg

DTM circuits are a little different to niu zild roads, though.

12 hours ago, Blackie said:

Looks a little jacked to me, personal opinion, just saying.

I think you got my point, its all personal opinion

you were making a point?!

18 hours ago, C-130 Hercules said:

On road I would agree. That 16s are probably the limit. Handling gets a bit too harsh after that. 

What ‘s ride and handling got to do with anything, it’s all about being super low and mega stanced and hella flush isn’t it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

What ‘s ride and handling got to do with anything, it’s all about being super low and mega stanced and hella flush isn’t it?

Yeah yah - skuxx as.. 

Edited by C-130 Hercules

?

• Haha 1