E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

2 hours ago, Cammsport said:

Woweeee. A PFL 318i coupe with 180,000kms for $14000. Looks like the seller is getting flamed in the questions box for trying to flip it. Would love to know what he/she purchased it for. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2462265293

On 9/30/2019 at 6:09 PM, ctho said:

$9,000 auto 318i... Good condition yes but come on https://trademe.nz/motors/cars/bmw/318i/listing/2336920473

This is the one here, don't know what it sold for but thought it looked familiar. Was over priced at $9k and someone thought they could turn a profit. Sadly the classified is no longer available. 

image.gif

Edited by Gaz

Haha.  I remember saying how this was a base model shitter a while back.

Nothing about it is desirable at all.

Color. Interior and Interior color.  318.  Sunroof.  PFL.  Non Motorsport.  Non collectible KM's.  Terrible wheels/hubcaps.  Cracked dash.  Dodgy electronics.  Wind up windows.  No AC.

Poverty Pack.

Also failed it's last two warrants.

Edited by Driftit

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

That one says auto ?

Ah... maybe not then... 

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2492683060

Looks like a disaster for 7k...

Yup, that has been seriously abused and mucked about with. List of problems is laughable for a $3k car let alone 7k!!

58 minutes ago, ctho said:

Now THAT is seriously nice. Looks well looked after and in good nick. Luckily it’s in Wanaka so I can’t be tempted!

2 hours ago, Blackie said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2492683060

Looks like a disaster for 7k...

39 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Yup, that has been seriously abused and mucked about with. List of problems is laughable for a $3k car let alone 7k!!

Needs to be dirt cheap, or break it for spares. Way overpriced as-is.

24 minutes ago, APT said:

@Driftit your old one

Yeah that's it.  Guy hasn't owned it long.

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Now THAT is seriously nice. Looks well looked after and in good nick. Luckily it’s in Wanaka so I can’t be tempted!

You could have had it for a steal 4 years ago Jon.  I couldn't move it back then.

Isn't it amazing how many people want them now that they are going up in value.  But they were worth nothing 10 years ago.  I purchased that off Shelly for $5K.  Chucked on some $400 BBS wheels nobody wanted.  Cut some rust out.  Rebuilt the diff and changed the oil.  And thrashed the living sh*t out of it.  Now for sale for $12K more.

Edited by Driftit

11 hours ago, Driftit said:

You could have had it for a steal 4 years ago Jon.  I couldn't move it back then.

Wow is that your old car Dan, looks better in the pictures than I remember - but could be different in real life. 

Life is a bitch in that the right car is never there at the right time... cash was all in the racercar 4 years ago.

11 hours ago, Driftit said:

Isn't it amazing how many people want them now that they are going up in value.  But they were worth nothing 10 years ago. 

Cut some rust out.  Rebuilt the diff and changed the oil.  And thrashed the living sh*t out of it.  Now for sale for $12K more.

Always wanted a 325i Sport, had to decide between buying the vert, a 325i sport and a slightly rough M3 back in the day... 

And my comment about “well looked after” may need to be reviewed!! 

55 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Wow is that your old car Dan, looks better in the pictures than I remember - but could be different in real life. 

Life is a bitch in that the right car is never there at the right time... cash was all in the racercar 4 years ago.

Always wanted a 325i Sport, had to decide between buying the vert, a 325i sport and a slightly rough M3 back in the day... 

Me too. I almost bought that 325i MTECH1 but then the E28 came along. 

I paid $16k for my MTECH1 in 2018.  Was looked after for 14 years by the previous owner with full history with Bm workshop.  NZ new as well. Will I make any money on it in the future? Who cares, to me they are the next best looking E30 after the M3. 

Edited by Contrails

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

It's still a good one.  And could be a primo example with minimal work.

Well looked after E30's have still had the sh*t thrashed out of them.  Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.  They were designed to be thrashed.  That is also why we love them.

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 2

Just saw a set of ACS Type 1 alloys, 15x7", 4x100 for sale in Oz.

$1000.

Oh - and they need refurbishing.

Low Kms, great condition and lots of history... but still not a $200k M3.

Although EAG in the states seem to ask those sort of prices and still sell cars.

Hi everyone, my Dad is the original and only owner of a 1991 E30 320i factory auto in deep red (slightly darker than the tomato red).  NZ new, all original, paint and interior are in excellent condition, has a valid WoF, low Kms (less than 150K).  The only blemish is recent issues with the seal of the sunroof which may require replacement, or just repair.  What is a car like that worth on the open market these days?  He loves it, and it is securely stored and only taken out for a drive from time to time, but I suspect he is severely underestimating it's value.  .  It is essentially the car in the attached picture, but with the original mags.  Thanks in advance

Capture.JPG

Original E30s in good condition are becoming much harder to find, lots of them have gone to the big breakers in the sky, or been messed around with by previous owners. So from that point of view your Dad's car is a fairly rare beast this days and also pretty desirable for an enthusiast.

The drivetrain is not the most desirable, the 320i is neither one thing or the other in terms of performance v economy and the automatic is not the greatest and so manuals get a hefty premium in the prices.

On the other hand, the NZ New part and one owner (hopefully with lots of service history and maintenance records) with a reasonably low mileage will all be points to attract better money.

Very hard to put a dollar value on it, more photos would be a help, of interior and exterior, showing any options which can be desirable - wheels, seats, etc.

Do you want a value for insurance, or is your Dad looking to sell it? If he is in no hurry to sell then that would help, as there are those out there that would pay good money for an original, good condition example but it may take a while to find them in the current market.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GNJ said:

Hi everyone, my Dad is the original and only owner of a 1991 E30 320i factory auto in deep red (slightly darker than the tomato red).  NZ new, all original, paint and interior are in excellent condition, has a valid WoF, low Kms (less than 150K).  The only blemish is recent issues with the seal of the sunroof which may require replacement, or just repair.  What is a car like that worth on the open market these days?  He loves it, and it is securely stored and only taken out for a drive from time to time, but I suspect he is severely underestimating it's value.  .  It is essentially the car in the attached picture, but with the original mags.  Thanks in advance

Capture.JPG

I would estimate somewhere around 6k+ depending on condition. You'd really need to provide some photos to get a better idea. It's a 4 door auto 320i which are usually not high up in terms of desireability. Red isn't the most desireable paint code either but there will be someone out there who loves it. Is the interior cloth? Are they sport seats? Are there cracks on the dash? Full service history? Are all the electronics functioning correctly, these are the things that will make it worth more than 6k.  

Great base for an E30 Series car.  Keep it in the family and go racing with your old man.