Sign in to follow this  
Dom.

Is E90 Suspension Interchangeable?

Hey guys,

I'm looking at putting OEM M Sport suspension back on my 335i. When I bought it the previous owner had put on Monroe shocks and Dobi springs, but the car sits too low for me.

The previous owner included the 4 original M Sport shocks (I plan on getting them tested) with the car and they only have around 40,000kms on them. I've found some used Sport springs but I don't think they're off a 335.

So my question is whether there is any issue with putting MSport springs from an E90 which isn't a 335 on the car? Are they identical from factory or should I keep looking for some off a 335?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Dom. said:

Hey guys,

I'm looking at putting OEM M Sport suspension back on my 335i. When I bought it the previous owner had put on Monroe shocks and Dobi springs, but the car sits too low for me.

The previous owner included the 4 original M Sport shocks (I plan on getting them tested) with the car and they only have around 40,000kms on them. I've found some used Sport springs but I don't think they're off a 335.

So my question is whether there is any issue with putting MSport springs from an E90 which isn't a 335 on the car? Are they identical from factory or should I keep looking for some off a 335?

Thanks

Answering my own question in case it helps anyone else:

Continental says that every model has different springs, so ideally you would use springs from a car of the same model & spec. 

Pretty standard affair when it comes to BMW and other manufacturers. Don't know specifically about E9X but you can generally use any springs without issue as long as they are from the chassis and have same cylinder count (pretty much what aftermarket manufactures do)

• Like 1

realoem.com is your friend

I wouldnt bother putting in old shocks (40k and 12 years old?) . Replacements, at OEM or better spec, arent expensive (fcpeuro etc) 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Jacko said:

realoem.com is your friend

I wouldnt bother putting in old shocks (40k and 12 years old?) . Replacements, at OEM or better spec, arent expensive (fcpeuro etc) 

Hadn't seen that site, thanks for that. They are 12 years old.

Any suggestion of what ones I should look into without breaking the bank?

Is there any point in keeping the current Monroe shocks (1 year old) and just changing the springs, or is that unlikely to help ride quality?

I have no experience with monroes, so cant say sorry. 

My 330 is running Bilstein B4 touring shocks, and its noticeably less harsh and crashy than old but shagged OEM shocks on factory msport springs. They were $200ish NZ a corner delivered. 

Edited by Jacko

If they are your typical Monroes like the Reflex then they have always been sh*t on any car in my experience., they don't even last long and have poor ride quality and handling.

B4's or factory Sachs M sport are really your only decent option before the prices ramp up considerably. Cant hurt to get the old ones dyno tested if its cheap enough, i couldn't say they would automatically be stuff given we dont know their history. New ones will always be better but ones mans bank is could be another mans loose change.

• Like 1