Sign in to follow this  
bradgalbraith

E36 M3 (OEM + project)

Hi all,

Recently picked up a 1994 NZ New E36 M3 from Christchurch and drove it back up to Auckland. I wasn't specifically looking for one as I had been building an E36 328i for the track but when it comes down to it the 328i will never be as good as an M3. The S50 is an amazing engine and I've missed my old M3 (and the ones before that..)  ever since I sold it/them. Being a 1994 the car started life as a PFL 3.0 M3 but in circa 2012, it underwent a transformation which includes the updated and superior S50B32, 6 speed 420G, steering rack, arms, brakes, cluster and interior all from a donor with 90,000km. From what I can see, the only things that remain PFL include a medium case diff, climate control, steering wheel and colour (Avus blue). I still haven't worked out what the car is in my mind- a frankenstein M3? 'M3 evo'? ultimate 'PFL M3'? I want to say its an evo but I know that's not strictly correct so I guess its just an M3. 

List of things that I've done and would like to do:

Motor
-Rebuild vanos unit (Seals, rattle kit etc)
-Change spark plugs.
-Mishimoto radiator
-10W-40 oil change.
-Carbon fiber intake plenum (Dreaming a little..)
-VAC secondary air pump delete kit. (No VAC plate yet)
-VAC underdrive pulley kit.
-Clean up ICV, PCV and throttle bodies. 
-Replace perished vacuum lines. Everything checked out after close inspection

Drivetrain
-Fluid change on gearbox
-Single mass flywheel and clutch kit (one which doesn't chatter at idle)
-Replace shifter bushes
-Fluid change on diff
-Repaint diff
-Braided clutch line
-Gearbox mounts

Brakes
-Rebuild calipers (Back right sticks slightly)
-Replace rotors 
-Replace pads
-Fluid change

Suspension/ chassis
-Powerflex LCA's
-Powerflex RTABs
-Powerflex camber arms
-X brace
-Front and rear strut braces 
-Shock tower reinforcement plates
-Coilovers?

Cosmetic/Misc.
-Fog lights
-GT front splitter
-Cut and polish
-Replace window rubbers
-OMP steering wheel

Here are some pics anyway. So far the only real thing I've done is wash it and take the hideous wheels off. The engine bay needs a lot of loving. Currently borrowing some DS1s from. @atlantiskiwi

20190706_163814.jpg

20190706_163821.jpg

20190706_163837.jpg

20190706_163843.jpg

20190706_163916.jpg

20190706_172925.jpg

20190706_172939.jpg

20190706_173002.jpg

20190706_173009.jpg

Edited by bradgalbraith
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I was going to ask, how many M3's is that now Brad? ?

Yes, Avus is beautiful... was available as an Individual option on the Evo as well. The front grill+support and the side markers are PFL also but a number of Evo's are PFL anyway (mine is but since mostly updated). You could also get that horrible steering wheel as late as 1999!

Seats look mint, I'm jealous already. They actually look like mine, Lotus White, do you know the specific colour?

Front fogs also look like mine at the moment! ?

You need to get that feather duster out! ?

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Good points! I missed out on a few things. I had no idea you could get that steering wheel as an option on a 1999 car.. its hideous. The interior is in great condition but will be even better with a bit of a clean and leather conditioner. As to be expected the vanos needs to be done so I'm sure I'll be in touch to borrow that cam bridge and pin again. Interesting that Avus was an individual option on the Evo. Estoril would be my pick any day of the week. Cool to know there would be other M3 Evos in the same spec from factory.  As for the interior, not sure that its Lotus white.. thought it was 'Dove Grey'.

nice car , i know the guy who built it up and also the old owner of the donar car etc 

ps. clean that engine bay please :)

I've gotten in touch with Tim and I'm sure I'll have a few more questions for him. Stoked to have so many receipts. Sounds like a real shame about that donor car.. what colour was it? The engine bay will receive a thorough clean for sure. The previous owner didn't care much for cleaning it unfortunately. 

cant remember the colour of the donar car , may have been black ?? guy was a old time mate of my dads , he owned it from new , and then though he would do a bit of a hill climb stage in it out in pukekohe area with the puke car club   and rolled it , tim probably has pics etc 

Got onto Beisan systems and Schmeidmann today and ordered all the necessary parts to rebuild the vanos as its in a pretty bad way. On several occasions the car has started hunting at idle and stalled when downshifting. Definitely a loss of power too so it'll be a big improvement afterwards. I'm thinking about doing it myself again but slightly nervous looking at the installation of the new diaphragm springs.. 

Birthday treats have arrived! Also managed to find the flashdrive which contains all of the photos of the cars history and tells a good story (Just over 200 photos). Very stoked to have the whole swap documented thanks to Tim.

IMG_8303.jpg

2012-11-04_12-45-21_703.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

211190131_full.jpg

67477957_493908961175696_3067457748653309952_n.jpg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, qube said:

better keep this one..

I've been told under no circumstances am I allowed to sell it ?

The rollover in the black one looks like an interesting story!

Edited by M3AN
sp

4 hours ago, M3AN said:

The rollover in the black on looks like an interesting story!

Yeah, ouch!

On 8/15/2019 at 4:11 PM, M3AN said:

The rollover in the black one looks like an interesting story!

I've been told that the owner decided to take the previously mint 90,000km evo to a hill climb event.. the pictures explain what happened next

I decided to go with some staggered M contours (style 23). They look pretty good in my opinion. Will take some better photos at some point.

20190827_090125.jpg

IMG_20190827_132947_210.jpg

• Like 5

The vanos had been getting progressively worse over the past few weeks so I had to do something about it quickly. I considered doing the job as I had done it previously but decided against it as I don't have the time to do it myself. Kayne Barrie did a wonderful job of rebuilding the unit doing both the seals and rattle kit and it's now running pretty mint. Not sure why but my unit (like some others) was filled with orange silicone.. I've read that this was BMW's approved method of keeping the solenoids from popping out at the time? Anyways, all running smooth now!

20190912_092819.jpg

Resized_20190914_093841_4530.jpeg

Resized_20190914_112924_4570.jpeg

• Like 3

Car looks good Brad. I'm pretty sure the owner after me didn't treat it as I had. Damn I loved the wheels that were on it. Take the contours off though, not right, not right at all??

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, gtstarped said:

Car looks good Brad. I'm pretty sure the owner after me didn't treat it as I had. Damn I loved the wheels that were on it. Take the contours off though, not right, not right at all??

No, unfortunately he didn't. He only did about 5000km in it though. I still need to give the engine bay a thorough clean. Lets agreed to disagree haha. I was not a fan of the Breytons if I'm honest.. The Contours may get replaced with some style 24s or DS2s at some stage, not sure yet. Wanting to go for an 'OEM +' kind of look.

Mine also had the orange silicon fix. Some dry joints in the loom meaning two of the solenoids weren't working.

Mine too.

Somebody told me that in NZ (not sure about other countries) dealers injected it at an Inspection II as a preventative measure (to stop the covers blowing off once the solenoid seals failed). There was apparently no customer notification (how arrogant of any company, to do something to somebody's property and then elect not to tell them).

So, I suppose the good news is that it was being serviced properly by the owner at the time.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Took the car for a drive yesterday and much to my annoyance, the intermittent stalling and erratic idle issue is still there.. will try take it for a scan next week. ICV/ CPS? Might whip the plenum off and have a look around at all the vacuum lines too.

Yea get a proper scan.

Check for vaccuum leaks.

Clean out the ICV, throttle body, and maf as thats free and should be done anyway.

Remove, clean and test the throttle position sensor (TPS) also. Mine gave me all sorts of crazy engine symptoms until I tracked it down.

You need a range of ~3 ohms between min and max throttle on both sets of pins (centre+left, centre+right) as you actuate the sensor by hand. It should be a smooth increase (one side) and decrease (the other side). Range should be from about 1.5 ohms to 4.5 ohms but the ~3 ohm delta is the important part.

• Like 3