Sign in to follow this  
Jardfish

1994 e36 318i

Okay so i have recently just purchased a 1994 e36 sedan 318i, and as you all know these engines are extremely underpowered so have started looking into swapping the engine for something with more 'grunt'.

Have 3 options:

- M50b25

-M52b28

-M54b30

What i need to know is if my manual trandmission will bolt directly to these engines (believe its a getrag 240) and if i need to modify anything to help these engines fit in the engine bay.

Cheers

All those engines will fit in quite easily. The G240  bell housing had different shapes depending on the year I think but yours should be fine. My 240 bolted up to my M52 nicely. People say they're a weaker box, but I have no complaints. It's put up with some death. 

Pretty sure it'll be a G250 box, not a 240. I thought the 240 boxes only came in the E30's. If it is a G250 box it'll bolt straight up no worries, and you can get the clutch upgraded with more clamping force, so the 4 cyl clutch and flywheel will work. If you do this you'll need to use the 4 cyl starter motor too. Front section of the driveshaft should work as well, mated to a 6cyl rear section.

There is a bit of work to be done, you'll need the complete engine loom to suit. Check out this thread by @adz 

His own build doing just that, M52B28 and manual conversion. There will be heaps of others on here that have done it as well and will doubtless have a heap of good info for you.

Edited by Mad_Max

All motors, looms and ews deleted DME`s

- M50b25

-M52b28

-M54b30

Available At Hellbm

I will put my car on the hoist on monday and check the tag on the gbox, from your experience which engine would be best suited for a track/drift build? 

Currently own a 330i (m54b30) e46 touring and have previously owned a 325i e36 (m50b25) both automatic unfortunately. I like the power behind the m54 but i like the 'pepe'ness of the m50 more. Have not driven a m52 to feel the power of them.

Wanting to keep this build as cheap as possible but also not going to take any shortcuts as id rather spend more time/money to have a better final product

The M52 is likely best all round option and is probably the cheapest and easiest to find. The M50 is certainly the strongest engine with a nice top end . The M54 is more complex and more work on install, has more problems and is harder to work on compared with the others. It's a nice daily driver engine, but main benefits are mostly lost on a track car unless you are going to modify it internally.

4 hours ago, Eagle said:

The M52 is likely best all round option and is probably the cheapest and easiest to find. The M50 is certainly the strongest engine with a nice top end . The M54 is more complex and more work on install, has more problems and is harder to work on compared with the others. It's a nice daily driver engine, but main benefits are mostly lost on a track car unless you are going to modify it internally.

I'd beg to differ, as the design is the same for both. Just a question of if @Jardfish is boosting it or not. If he is, I'd say the M50BX block for major boost and HP, for sure stronger. If not, go the M52BX, far strong enough to handle 500 odd HP even when FI, and way more common. Agreed about the M54BX though, lots more electronics to sort out and not really worth the extra effort.

1 hour ago, Cammsport said:

G240 came on early 4 cyl E36s too

Yes agreed, this one being a 94 is far more likely to be a G220 or G250. 

It will be a getrag 220 and yes all the m5x motors will fit. You will need to unbolt the box and move it back and install a 6 cylinder shifter though.