Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Cheap LSD

I have watched this a few times now but not sure what I think yet. The video was on a 188mm diff and I have a 210mm in my 2007 335i so possibly more surface area for the friction disks. Any way have a watch and lets discuss.  :) 

BTW he does a review in a later video and its pretty positive.

Edited by Herbmiester
  • Like 1

Same design as the old Phantom Grip, except for the addition of the friction plates. $200-$300 US for it? I bought one from offshore for $25 that is a very similar design, without the friction plates. I haven't installed it yet as have been thinking (and discussing with a mate who used to rebuild drum brakes and clutches) about putting a thin, organic compound on it for better grip, and a sacrificial surface.

Will it work? May see some benefits on loose surfaces, but I really doubt the springs will do enough to work on a sealed surface to work the same as a proper LSD. Will there be wear on the drive flange shafts? I'd just about bet there will be, how bad it will be, and how long it takes to cause damage, are the unknown. This set up though, I don't like the fact this guy is talking about using an angle grinder to clearance the spider gears and the flange shafts...... that's just asking for trouble if you don't get them flat.

But that's just my opinion, it may change when I get around to installing my cheap version and can evaluate it myself...........

I read a bit about the phantom grip LSD a few years back and while this is certainly similar the friction plates and ground down spider gears would seem to offer much greater bearing surface. 

He's at pains in a couple of them (1 & 3?) to explain that it doesn't work like a Phantom Grip, I won't try to translate because I have no idea. 

I was beside myself watching him wrestle that diff in and out without taking the 10 mins beforehand to drop the exhaust. ?

• Like 1

The breakaway torque on them is unbelievably low. Completely useless. 

The only "cheap" lsd was the old OBX units but they stopped making them for bmws, could modify them to work nicely (Honda guys still do)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

The breakaway torque on them is unbelievably low. Completely useless. 

The only "cheap" lsd was the old OBX units but they stopped making them for bmws, could modify them to work nicely (Honda guys still do)

Do you know what the breakawy value is? I think he mentioned 25% lockup but I coudnt see the breakaway value. 

Last test I saw was around 45nm. So about as useful as dragging your foot on the ground 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seen the Wavetrac LSD units down at $700 USD at the big annual sale days. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, andrewm said:

Seen the Wavetrac LSD units down at $700 USD at the big annual sale days. 

Yes that or a cheap M Factory diff would be my first choice.

Unlike everyone else, i actually run one of these Racingdiffs progressive LSD's  on my track car and i can tell you it works. I can't compare it to a factory LSD as I've never driven one,  but certainly going from an open center, to a welded diff, to the above progressive LSD, it defintely works.

I'll try to do a breakaway torque test of my diff over the coming weeks and will report back with the results.

For reference, I'm from Aus and drive a 93 E36 325i (almost finished my turbo build). You can check out some of my racing with the welded diff and LSD on my youtube channel too: https://www.youtube.com/user/dominator293

Edited by dom293
  • Like 4