Sign in to follow this  
Tony Tsui

RECOMMANDATIONS IN WELLINGTON

I'm wanting to bring my 335i to a garage in Wellington to get the catless downpipes installed.

Trying to shave a lil bit on labour here so would be great if I could bring it to someone who's got experience on installing them.

DSC04007.jpg

Excellent, a mod to belch toluene - a carcingen - into the atmosphere, share it with your family, your neighbours, your friends; whether they asked for it or not!  The catalytic converter is there for a reason.  

You can find horsepower without butchering your emissions control system.  Try the road less travelled.

Edited by Olaf
spelling
  • Haha 2

Don't be a pussy. 

Rip out the cats, they're a choke on the system and probably aren't doing a lot after so many years. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Shhh, the gubment will force us all to drive leafs with that sort of carry-on. Think of the children in the cobalt mines of the Congo! 

• Like 3

I would like to see our leaders - regardless of which party or coalition is in power - to simply introduce emmissions testing as part of the WoF regime, and legislation to prevent disabling emmissions control systems for street cars.  

If the cats really are restrictive, source a high-performance cat.  Those in the first world with sensible emissions controls in place, are still able to chase the joy of high performance combustion engines without disregard for their fellow citizens.

We can stay redneck, and third world... though eventually we'll need to grow up.  We could even do it before we're forced to.

• Like 4

Removal, or modification, of any emissions equipment on a vehicle SHOULD result in a WoF fail under current rules.

Unfortunately there are so many poor and/or easily influenced inspectors these things don’t get picked up.

Hopefully all the current reviews by the NZTA will improve the implementation of the rules, with tighter controls to come in future.

• Like 1

This is one of the better thread derailments in recent memory :D 

To the OP, stop driving a turbo six. Take the train. But only if its got good occupancy, is locally assembled, the driver is paid a living wage and has good conditions... and make sure its not one of them filthy diesels.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

The heavy oils from tyres concern me. That and brake dust. It all ends up on our roads and is washed into our soils, rivers and oceans causing various  cancers. Even electric cars and cycles are not immune. Stay home.

What worries me is how much soot was in the London tube system... Yet its all electric. 

Brake dust? sh*t is everywhere, even in my nose when I blew it. 

On 7/21/2019 at 12:41 PM, Blackie said:

So, anyone got a recommendation for the guy? ?

Already provided.  Don’t remove your cats! ?

PS:  OP wanted to save money on labour.  

Edited by Olaf
Original requirement
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Jacko said:

This is one of the better thread derailments in recent memory :D 

To the OP, stop driving a turbo six. Take the train. But only if its got good occupancy, is locally assembled, the driver is paid a living wage and has good conditions... and make sure its not one of them filthy diesels.

That’s stretching it a bit far, surely.  I’m not advancing the full green-loony agenda; just that we don’t need to cut out essential emissions control components in pursuit of more power.  

As we all know, Turbo Six PETROL motors do pretty well on emissions/consumption scales. ?

Sheesh, let the guy install his catless downpipes if he wants to.

You guys sound like the green activist mafia lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

As we all know, Turbo Six PETROL motors do pretty well on emissions/consumption scales. ?

Why only petrol?

19 minutes ago, balancerider said:

Why only petrol?

Because diesels are looking a bit sh*t when we don’t just focus on co2, and look at No2 and particulates, and consider short trip running, eh.

I don’t see you recommending a cut-price workshop or qualifying if the OP is planning on supplying his own eBay special parts?

22 minutes ago, Olaf said:

I don’t see you recommending a cut-price workshop or qualifying if the OP is planning on supplying his own eBay special parts?

I have no good recommendations for the OP, so I kept quiet about it. 

6 hours ago, Olaf said:

Because diesels are looking a bit sh*t when we don’t just focus on co2, and look at No2 and particulates, and consider short trip running, eh.

and thats what we were told...buying a diesel was supposed to be a good idea in the Co2 output stakes.

• Like 1

I dont know what i just read here lol, i hope everyone came out a winner in this thread ?

I just brought an old diesel for gravel road driving. I'm pretty sure it has killed 37 Dolphins worth of wildlife on its own. I'll pay some more tax to create a balance.. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, 325_driver said:

I dont know what i just read here lol, i hope everyone came out a winner in this thread ?

Pretty sure there were no winners in most of the thread, so have tidied it up a bit. Please keep it civil.

• Thanks 1