Sign in to follow this  
duluth

E46 330ci transmission issues

Just got my car back from the mechanics today, Page European, and they said my transmission is cooked. Should I get the transmission repaired/rebuilt or opt to buy a used transmission with 24000kms for $500 and get someone to put it in. If i were to try the second option where could i get such a swap done? Wellington based. Thanks in advance.

Rebuild could be expensive but depends on what has actually failed and how far you rebuild it. A good second hand unit with new fluid\filter and probably a rebuilt torque converter is what id do.

Jon @ Auto38 is recommended by many Wellington members here.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Rebuild could be expensive but depends on what has actually failed and how far you rebuild it. A good second hand unit with new fluid\filter and probably a rebuilt torque converter is what id do.

Jon @ Auto38 is recommended by many Wellington members here.

Cheers, is swapping out the transmission, my most likely course of action, something Jon at Auto38 would be able to do ?

Yes, straight forward and a fairly quick job on a hoist. While everything is off its usually a good idea to do rear engine seal, transmission seals and driveshaft parts if they need doing or are on their way out, saves money down the line if you are keeping the car for awhile.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 7:07 PM, Eagle said:

Yes, straight forward and a fairly quick job on a hoist. While everything is off its usually a good idea to do rear engine seal, transmission seals and driveshaft parts if they need doing or are on their way out, saves money down the line if you are keeping the car for awhile.

Was quoted 8-10 hours for the job, does this seem about right ?

Depends on what they are doing exactly?. Purely transmission removal and replacement should be approx 4-5 hr job.