M3AN

1 Series - Which Model/Year

Which year and model do I need to start with when looking for a 1 series with a proper screen (w/touch?), NZ nav and Android auto integration? Not interested in Apple integration. Do any come with HUD's?

Also, what 1 series should/must be avoided? Has to be low maintenance, does not need to be 300bhp.

Am considering a new/another daily and everything from BMW "above" the 1 series is simply too large for me.

I'm only about 25% serious on the idea as the beater still does the job but I've jut secured a new role with mo' money and dreams are free right?

Sadly I dont think any BMW has come with Android auto, new one only have apple from what I can gather.

• Like 1

Touch screen is only available on idrive6 so you are looking at a LCI F20 or wait for the new one

• Like 1

2006 :) , Belsee china head unit runs android 8 (9 now), and android auto if you want the cut down version. 370 odd US$ and is P&P with all the normal canbus controls. 

66381071_10156015861772693_3596058666765123584_o.jpg

• Like 1

Is that yours Chris? Heater controls relocated? I don't have a problem with a retrofit as long as it looks well integrated.

It does seem the 130i is the pricing sweetspot.

3 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Is that yours Chris? Heater controls relocated? I don't have a problem with a retrofit as long as it looks well integrated.

It does seem the 130i is the pricing sweetspot.

Yehp, includes the fascia for the climate control and manual control options. I had to remove some flashing from the inside of the new fascia with sandpaper, aircon button was sticking, but thats it. It fits lci, so I swapped my lower dash from pre-lci to lci. The normal options buttons section at the bottom gets deleted, so things like PDC and heated seats are controlled through the headunit. It looks and feels like stock, just a big android screen. 

• Like 1

Get one with the ccc flip up screen system. Install the Avin unit. 

https://avinusa.com/10-25-bmw-1-series-e81-e82-e87-e88-multimedia-navigation-system.html

Needs to have a flip up or you are cutting the dash. The in dash units look a bit out of place imo (no offence Jacko). 

Mines a 2007 130i as a daily and we love it. @GorGasm owned it before me and also loved it. Great bang for buck.

• Like 2

Yep, if you can get good 130i (like my old one ;)) then they are great value for the money.  If it was for me to drive personally then I would 100% go for a manual one as it would relieve the boredom of driving it.

Oil leaks, rough running, and general condition will say a lot and really that's all you can check.  If that's in order then a lot of things that will cost you money are not going to show up until they fail, as per any BMW European car.

With that said, the 130i is probably one of the simpler, more reliable of the BMW stable.

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 1

Yup, the bang for buck is in the 130i model at the moment, lots of good cars to be had pretty cheap. Depending on your budget and possible modifications down the track a 135i Coupe could be an option, or the later F20 M135i, but there is a big jump in price for those. Pretty sure the HUD has not been fitted ex-factory in the 1 Series so far and is new to the F40 generation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

Get one with the ccc flip up screen system. Install the Avin unit. 

https://avinusa.com/10-25-bmw-1-series-e81-e82-e87-e88-multimedia-navigation-system.html

Needs to have a flip up or you are cutting the dash. The in dash units look a bit out of place imo (no offence Jacko). 

Mines a 2007 130i as a daily and we love it. @GorGasm owned it before me and also loved it. Great bang for buck.

It'd be a weird world where people get offended by headunit aesthetics :D I looked at the avin (at the time it ran anrdroid 4, when the standard was 7..), but I think it looks stuck on, same as the factory option ccc, it looks like an afterthought to me (heaps of other cars do it too)

So to answer, get a 130, headunit is irrelevant :D

Edited by Jacko

I am interested in the newer 135i though.  Kerry down in Wellington recently picked one up that has had some work done to it.
Seems to think it is quicker than his E92 M3.

The M135i is a great car and when tickled would be easily faster than an M3.  I was looking at one when I bought my M5 but decided to go with the dangerous option.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

editing my post after re-reading the OP.

if you want a maintenance free daily driver, my number one recommendation would be the F20 4cyl 116i (10-15k for base model to full msport version with reasonable kms). You can test mine out at the next meet if you like.

Having owned the E87 130i and F20 M135i, both being fantastic cars, they are definitely not the easiest/cheapest to maintain and things do/will break and cost a fair bit for spare parts. The 4cyl on the other hand is much cheaper to run fuel wise and spare parts wise and nothing generally to go wrong. Different story if you are looking at the older E87 4cyls - avoid these at all costs.

Edited by qube
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Contrails said:

I am with Kyu, F20 116i Msport is a Driver's daily driver. 

The other option would be a 220i coupe Msport. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2263006307

Damn that is a nice looking car! But it’s a lot of money for a 4pot at the end of the day. 

The new facelift f20s have started dropping in price to the 20k mark also but the value is in the first gen 2012-2014 ones sub 15k!

E87 shares nearly everything with the E90. Parts are cheap. Very cheap in the BMW world.

1 hour ago, qube said:

Damn that is a nice looking car! But it’s a lot of money for a 4pot at the end of the day. 

The new facelift f20s have started dropping in price to the 20k mark also but the value is in the first gen 2012-2014 ones sub 15k!

Yep. I am glad I sold mine for 24k this time last year. But I am very tempted by the M220i. But man they drop in value too much. That's almost E46 M3 money! 

M235i or nothing... or M2comp...:ph34r:

• Like 1

🤣 my budget would be a net ~10k... to spend much more on a point-to-point... well that seems pointless to me. 😉

And I'd get an auto... because Auckland. 🙄

If I want to go for a proper drive I'll take the M3 out. 

Edited by M3AN

You need the car I got. Few of them around. Definitely get the Motorsport even for just the seats. 

^E87 130i is a fantastic car no doubt but for the Auckland suburban bumpy roads and traffic jams, I honestly dont think its necessary to have the 3L engine/harsh ride for a daily commuter. Something comfortable, easy to drive but still essentially a BMW with modern options like keyless entry comfort access, bluetooth connectivity from factory etc are much more preferable. 

Different story if that is your only/main car for everything because then you would want some fun factory but seeing as OP has the M3 which is essentially a better/older 3L bmw, i think the F20 is the more appropriate direction. Of course, pays to drive both and see how one thinks about the difference because it is quite night and day.

I think your^ 130i experience is probably slightly skewed towards a positive one because you bought a very well maintained one from a forum member for a bargain price. If you look on TM, they are still around the 8-10k mark with 150+ kms and at this age, things will start to break and need replacing, even if its just basic stuff like waterpump thermostat, hoses/pipes, bushes suspension parts, etc.

You're are correct that I got a great car.  @GorGasm has been a friend for quite a long time.  And I trust all that he does on his cars.  So it was a very easy decision for me.  I had never even been in the car before I purchased it from over in the US.

Might be hard to find something like that on the open market.  Also why I said he needs the car I got.

However with the smaller motors I start to question why would you want a BMW.  You have removed the best part of a BMW.  All the tech etc can be found in many different brands at that price range.  And sometimes the connectivity in other brands is cheaper and easier.  When you are talking econo cars between 15k to 20K you have a very big market with many brands.  BMW may not be the best option.  Does the F20 share much of it's gear and platform with the F30?  When things do go wrong are they as cheap to fix as the E87/E90?

Also.  With the type of driver I am.  I would not want anything but the 3ltr in the E87.  I also do most of my commute on open roads with some fun over the hill to Wellington.  A smaller motor would not cut it for me.  An Auckland traffic crawler could be a different story.

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 3

If you buy an auto 130, you'll be driving along constantly thinking - "Damn this would be fun with a manual".  So what ya want is a full beans manual 130i, park it up next to the M3, and then get a Prius to sit in traffic with :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Driftit said:

However with the smaller motors I start to question why would you want a BMW.  You have removed the best part of a BMW.  All the tech etc can be found in many different brands at that price range.  And sometimes the connectivity in other brands is cheaper and easier.  When you are talking econo cars between 15k to 20K you have a very big market with many brands.  BMW may not be the best option.  Does the F20 share much of it's gear and platform with the F30?  When things do go wrong are they as cheap to fix as the E87/E90?

Also.  With the type of driver I am.  I would not want anything but the 3ltr in the E87.  I also do most of my commute on open roads with some fun over the hill to Wellington.  A smaller motor would not cut it for me.  An Auckland traffic crawler could be a different story.

I kind of agree with you on this to a certain extent. I also think that the best BMW is generally in the 3L 6pot variant (apart from of course the M3V8 and a few others). But when we are talking about 10-15k economy cars, if you take a look at the quality of the suzuki swifts, the toyota corollas, the kias the hyundais the mazdas etc, the 116i F20 holds its own quite well, especially if its sport/msport. the "feel" is still very much a BMW and although its not as powerful as a 3L, the 4pot with a turbo does really well all round. It might not be "better" than a new jappa but its very comparable and when we are talking about a BMW owner who has an E36 M3 and is looking for a BMW daily, then it just makes sense.

I personally think that the F20 is miles more reliable than the E87/E90 because we are comparing the newer N13 engine vs the older N52 engine (i would never ever consider the E87 116i/118i/120i or E90 320i with the N46 etc. The F20 and F30 is essentially the same but that is not the factor that makes the parts cheap. In NZ atm, there is an abundance of parts cars E90 due to huge influx of imports over the years. The same is now happening with the F20's as they become the new "budget" option as it starts to crawl under the 10k mark.

Like Jacko said, if you buy an auto 130i, you might be sitting wishing you had the 6sp manual, but then you are back where you started (E36 M3) pretty much... for the OP anyway! 

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

If you buy an auto 130, you'll be driving along constantly thinking - "Damn this would be fun with a manual".  So what ya want is a full beans manual 130i, park it up next to the M3, and then get a Prius to sit in traffic with :) 

Unpopular opinion : I drove a manual M135i and the auto M140i before buying the latter, and I'd take the silky ZF automatic over a BMW slushbox any day of the week. If you want to manually control the gear shifts the paddle shifters are both convenient and nearly instantaneous, without sacrificing the daily commutability.

There's a reason the manual is going the way of the dodo, and it's not all because people are becoming increasingly hopeless drivers :)

Edited by BlackrazorNZ