M3AN

1 Series - Which Model/Year

I'm finding this discussion both very interesting and very informative, cheers.

TBH I've come a long way in the 3 years since owning the beater and have come to accept that for point-to-point and city motorway trips, an auto is the answer (for me at least). I hate them with a passion but now realise they really do have their place. I have no problem cruising around in the 328 and that's got a Jatco for crying out loud! ūü§£

The effortlessness of a straight six NA BMW engine appeals to me greatly, you don't really need to worry about where you are in the power band unlike a 4-pot turbo or diesel. Having said that I've not given proper consideration to Fxx's and the benefits/advancements they carry so will spend some time on that... but even so I'm yet to be convinced that BMW know how to build a modern, reliable FI engine.

I'm still in the very low margins of  going down this path so have time to learn.

Oh, and it can't be white. I have no problem with white cars, I just don't want one. 99% of them seem to be white!

• Like 1

Funny, I would like an E36 in white. 

• Like 2

I'm interested in the newer F20 motors now. Might look into them a bit more. Whilst doing so I found a video on the new B58. Posted it in the general area. Quite cool. 

I'm going to agree with the build quality opinion. I would rather have a BMW over the equivalent Swift. The options are always there too. Hopefully someone ticked the full list. 

Auto I'm not too worried about. It's nearly always in the right gear for the remutaka Hill. Nearly. But it has paddles and changes pretty damn quick. 

Edited by Driftit

Any idea how many 1 series coupes (before the 2 series) were sold in NZ? I seem to see very few around but I do like the style.

Also, do any 1 series after the 2007/8 LCI still come with hydraulic steering?

5 hours ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

Unpopular opinion : I drove a manual M135i and the auto M140i before buying the latter, and I'd take the silky ZF automatic over a BMW slushbox any day of the week. If you want to manually control the gear shifts the paddle shifters are both convenient and nearly instantaneous, without sacrificing the daily commutability.

There's a reason the manual is going the way of the dodo, and it's not all because people are becoming increasingly hopeless drivers :)

M135i is a different car, different driving style and experience.  The higher the power level the more blurred the lines become and auto/dct/smg starts to make sense.  At the pointy end of the market cars tend to aim for Uber capability and a blinding DCT or auto suits that.  

The 130i being a fair bit less powerful is much more rewarding to wring out with a manual, it's still good as an auto but better as manual.

Auto has it's place for sure but if you are going out specifically for the pleasure of driving you can't go past a manual.

An example, if an E46 M3 came as an auto, would it be anywhere near as good as the manual?  Heck even the E9x M3 is better as a manual.

• Like 3

Plus lots of other smaller benefits of a manual has that aren't always apparent till require them or use them, some that come to mind - push\pull starting, easily towed, no shifter\brake interlock, easier and cheaper to service, smaller\frees up space, stronger engine braking, ability to coast slow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

Any idea how many 1 series coupes (before the 2 series) were sold in NZ? I seem to see very few around but I do like the style.

Also, do any 1 series after the 2007/8 LCI still come with hydraulic steering?

R u talking about the E82? The numbers r going to be huge. They r flooded in this market. especially the 135i coupe. There are also some 120i coupes and 125i coupes but nowhere near as common. 

Re hyd steering, my one was 2010 lci and i am pretty damn sure it had hydraulic steering because it feels nothing like the steering in the f20 which is the electronic. I reckon electronic steering is better if small engine daily f20, i like it. I didnt like it however on my m135, it was too light and not enough feedback on hard driving in the twisties. 

Driftit - the new b series motors r amazing, b58 in the m140i and supras etc but also the b48 is very good in the new lci f20. Got the 2L one in my mini :P 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eagle said:

...no shifter\brake interlock...

Or shifter/ignition interlock... that sh*t drives me spare (both of them)!

If you don't know how to drive a car, don't drive a car!

Edit: at least we don't have the push the clutch in to start the car like the yanks do.

Edited by M3AN

3 hours ago, M3AN said:

Or shifter/ignition interlock... that sh*t drives me spare (both of them)!

If you don't know how to drive a car, don't drive a car!

Edit: at least we don't have the push the clutch in to start the car like the yanks do.

wrong,i had to push the clutch in on the 120d manual to start it, even in neutral

• Sad 1

Yeah the 2x E87 manuals ive driven had the same "feature", can't recall if they were imports though. BMW certainly started putting in many built for idiot features in the '00+ era stuff, they don't seem to squawk like the a lot of the Japanese stuff but all the completely useless gongs\chimes are something id have to disable to avoid damaging the car.

• Like 1

Yeah, no clutch, no start (nz new). It may be able to coded out, never really bothered me. Allows you to turn ACC on without starting car too :)

3 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Yeah, no clutch, no start (nz new). It may be able to coded out, never really bothered me. Allows you to turn ACC on without starting car too :)

used to annoy me ,surely they could have made it so if in neutral you could crank it up.mine was nz new i was second owner

Colour me amazed, it's a real shame it's even necessary.

• Thanks 1

Get PA soft or NCS etc and you should be able to easily stop it. The only warning noise i have enabled is for head lights just in case i leave them on.

Why, in 2019, can headlights even still be left on? This is a problem that should have been solved in the '50's.

Key out of the car, headlights turn off automatically on a timer. Keys in the car, do what you like with your headlights.

What am I missing?

30 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Why, in 2019, can headlights even still be left on? This is a problem that should have been solved in the '50's.

Key out of the car, headlights turn off automatically on a timer. Keys in the car, do what you like with your headlights.

What am I missing?

Mine do exactly what you say, I just leave them on. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, M3AN said:

What am I missing?

E39 main beams do turn off with the key like but park lights still remain like many BMW's, maybe they do time out like the newer stuff or go off after awhile once its been locked, ive never tested it or tried to set anything. You could probably leave the park lights on for quite a while if your battery is good and not undersized, 

you could eave the headlights on on the e34.No warning at all.I recall that the headlights went out but the parl lights remained on; I left them on all day once but the battery from hell in the boot was untroubled

13 hours ago, M3AN said:

What am I missing?

New BMWs are like that, lock the car/turn it off, lights turn off

*well anything F series onwards I believe

Edited by Gaz

16 minutes ago, Gaz said:

New BMWs are like that, lock the car/turn it off, lights turn off

*well anything F series onwards I believe

Both my NZ e87 and UK e91 do it without coding¬†ūü§Ē¬†¬†Maybe its a japanese market thing that they dont for some reason?

Maybe it has something to do with the "follow me home" function?

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1

Maybe, i'm not sure when they started doing it, anything coming out now all does it. You only have a reverse gong in Japanese cars

I have never touched the headlights switch on my E87.  They just do their own thing.  And unlike the many many people in New Zealand whom apparently can see in the dark and don't switch on their lights, my headlights come on when it is dark.

Everything else I just "Programmed" as I needed it or found out it could do it.

• Haha 1

I'm not buying yet but in terms of options, what's something like this missing?

I'm already wanting non-LCI because of the steering, and flip-up console (easier replacement). Apparently LCI taillights and door cards are a straight swap if I wanted them in the future.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2241369967.htm

Carjam:  https://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=JTF33

L807A National version japan
P337A M Sports package
S1CAA Selection of COP relevant vehicles
S205A Automatic transmission
S249A Multifunction f steering wheel
S2MGA BMW alloy wheel, M double spoke 207
S313A Fold-in outside mirror
S321A Label
S339A Shadow-Line
S354A Green windscreen, green shade band