Sign in to follow this  
Mad_Max

Looking for a Touring

My current daily driver Primevil wagon is currently dying a long, painfully slow death, and is starting to develop too many issues to make it worth fixing, so I'm on the hunt for a replacement.

I've decided a wagon is definitely a handy thing to have, and have been looking at a couple of examples on TradeMe that I will probably end up checking out. Below is a list of preferences I'd like but this is not set in stone - I will consider looking at anything not on the list.

• Prefer a 3 series but will look at 5 series as well.
  • Prefer 6 cyl, 2.5l minimum, 2.8l or 3l would be ideal.
  • Prefer manual (yeah that I can't see happening ??) but am being realistic and prepared for an auto - not a deal breaker.
  • Prefer with a towbar (not hard to fit one later if needed) - not a deal breaker.
  • Prefer south island but can travel for the right deal.
  • Ideally prefer something under $3.5k at this stage, especially if I have to travel for it but may consider more for the right wagon.
  • Not too fussed on k's or "perfect condition" as the thing will get used heavily (currently doing a lot of travel).

I have seen the listing from @rxsumo for his touring, which looks to be a reasonable example, and while I'd love a V8, it's just not practical for me around town. And given the towing I do, a 4 banger won't quite cut it. 

So what's out there? Just the TradeMe examples?

9 minutes ago, lord_jagganath said:

there is a e39 '97 528i available in auckland on facebook, sub 3k. ctz438

Thanks for the tip, have you got any more info on it? I'm not on FB these days, only messenger. But might be worth checking out as a comparison to the TradeMe listings.

got a cheap 95 black e34 540i touring coming in soon , with towbar  less than $3k 

5 minutes ago, BM WORLD said:

got a cheap 95 black e34 540i touring coming in soon , with towbar  less than $3k 

Now that I would definitely be interested in checking out even if it is a V8. When could you get me more info Brent? I was eyeing up an E34 down here for ages, then it disappeared...... Would love to get more information as soon as you can do it.

1 minute ago, Mad_Max said:

Now that I would definitely be interested in checking out even if it is a V8. When could you get me more info Brent? I was eyeing up an E34 down here for ages, then it disappeared...... Would love to get more information as soon as you can do it.

ok hopefully pick it up next week , let you know , 

• Like 1

I wouldnt dismiss the E39 540i - there isnt much difference in fuel economy between the 528i and the 540i (around town in the touring is currently showing 21mpg) - and its significantly better than the E34 535i sedans (manual and auto(around 17mpg around town) , and 540i sedan (auto) (around 15mpg around town) that we have owned prior to the E39s.

On a trip we were seeing around 32mpg at a constant 100kmh in both the 528i and the 540i - whereas none of the E34s got over 26mpg - the worst being the 535i manual

Only thing you need to be wary of in the E39 540i - is the timing chain tensioner issues, which you dont have in the E34 engines.

1 hour ago, BM WORLD said:

Brilliant, thanks heaps.

1 hour ago, rxsumo said:

I wouldnt dismiss the E39 540i - there isnt much difference in fuel economy between the 528i and the 540i (around town in the touring is currently showing 21mpg) - and its significantly better than the E34 535i sedans (manual and auto(around 17mpg around town) , and 540i sedan (auto) (around 15mpg around town) that we have owned prior to the E39s.

On a trip we were seeing around 32mpg at a constant 100kmh in both the 528i and the 540i - whereas none of the E34s got over 26mpg - the worst being the 535i manual

Only thing you need to be wary of in the E39 540i - is the timing chain tensioner issues, which you dont have in the E34 engines.

Owning an E39 535i sedan, yes open road fuel economy is pretty good, better than the Primevil is,  there's no argument there. Personally though, I prefer the styling of the E34's, never really liked the front end on the E39's. Very nice cars to drive and ride in, agreed. But just not to my liking for the styling. 

Having said that, I haven't completely ruled out getting a 535i/540i if it's the right deal, only just started looking really and seeing what options are around.

Fold down sedan seats are very useful in a E39 sedan, one of the reasons i kept mine.

Fuel economy depends on your traffic situation, but my experience driving them around Waikato, the 540i's average 2-3L more than the 528i\530i per 100km. I agree the E34 535i has terrible economy but all the other advantages outweigh that for me.

E34 is probably the way to go if you want to keep costs down with decent reliability. I like E39's but they far more expense to get back to good mechanical condition when worn.

7 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Fold down sedan seats are very useful in a E39 sedan, one of the reasons i kept mine.

Fuel economy depends on your traffic situation, but my experience driving them around Waikato, the 540i's average 2-3L more than the 528i\530i per 100km. I agree the E34 535i has terrible economy but all the other advantages outweigh that for me.

E34 is probably the way to go if you want to keep costs down with decent reliability. I like E39's but they far more expense to get back to good mechanical condition when worn.

Yes agreed, plus the advantage of a 525I and a 530I parts cars are leading me towards the E34 lol. 2-3L over 100km isn't a huge amount and wouldn't kill any deal at the end of the day. 

There was an e36 328i touring with tow bar for sale for ages in Taranaki, $3750ono.

Seems to have disappeared off both FB and TM, so might be too late.

Our E46 320d could well be available... OK, 4 cylinders and automatic, but it'll do the around town bit very economically.
Well within budget. :)
Needs a WoF as it's not been used for a while. One of those 'I'll get around to it things' but until it's needed, it's not happened.

2 hours ago, Palazzo said:

There was an e36 328i touring with tow bar for sale for ages in Taranaki, $3750ono.

Seems to have disappeared off both FB and TM, so might be too late.

Damn, always too late on the scene....... that would've been worth checking out.

41 minutes ago, gjm said:

Our E46 320d could well be available... OK, 4 cylinders and automatic, but it'll do the around town bit very economically.
Well within budget. :)
Needs a WoF as it's not been used for a while. One of those 'I'll get around to it things' but until it's needed, it's not happened.

And someone throws a wildcard into the mix ????. It's an option I am kinda considering too, can you pm me some more info? Any known issues with it? Is it likely to need much for a WoF? Heard about the swirl flaps and turbo issues which may have been blown out of proportion, but I'd definitely have a look and think about it as an option thanks Graham.

1 hour ago, Mad_Max said:

I'd definitely have a look and think about it as an option thanks Graham.

graham's cars are in good nick, don't think you'll go wrong getting it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lord_jagganath said:

graham's cars are in good nick, don't think you'll go wrong getting it.

Yeah I'm just a little nervous about towing with a 4cyl diesel, it's a lot of strain on the motor. Though it is one I will definitely consider and worth checking out as a possibility, it would be a better pick in my eyes than an E39.

5 hours ago, Mad_Max said:

Yeah I'm just a little nervous about towing with a 4cyl diesel, it's a lot of strain on the motor. Though it is one I will definitely consider and worth checking out as a possibility, it would be a better pick in my eyes than an E39.

How much weight? Can’t be that much if a 3 series is a consideration. You’ll find that any decent weight will be just as much strain on the torque less N/A bmw 2.5-3.0 straight sixes as well.

Consider the weight some small capacity diesels are pulling, the most common one would be the Mercedes 2.1 four cylinder which in the largest Sprinter has a GCM up around 7.5 tonne, in use all over the world. 

Look to Oz where it is currently caravan season and all the double cab utes are pulling big vans all over the country no doubt breaching the max combined weight at 6 tonne. 

look at the torque figures for a 320d and even a a e39 540.320d would fill both roles imho

On 8/15/2019 at 3:50 PM, rxsumo said:

are your 540's both autos darryl?

20 hours ago, coop said:

How much weight? Can’t be that much if a 3 series is a consideration. You’ll find that any decent weight will be just as much strain on the torque less N/A bmw 2.5-3.0 straight sixes as well.

Look to Oz where it is currently caravan season and all the double cab utes are pulling big vans all over the country no doubt breaching the max combined weight at 6 tonne. 

Couldn't give an exact weight as I don't know the weight of the trailer, but it is used for vehicles. I do have access to an old 70 series Landcruiser for towing heavy loads such as these if needed, hence why a 3 series can be considered, I'm just thinking of the odd occasion where I'm stuck and have to use that vehicle to tow something that heavy.

FYI Aus has no weight restrictions like that when it comes to towing, it's all whatever the manufacturers specify. Only NZ has a "blanket rule" weight restriction.

7 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

look at the torque figures for a 320d and even a a e39 540.320d would fill both roles imho

Yes @gjm's E46 is one of the two I am considering right now for those reasons, the E39's though is a personal preference, I'd like to see what alternatives there are other than an E39.

9 hours ago, Mad_Max said:

Couldn't give an exact weight as I don't know the weight of the trailer, but it is used for vehicles. I do have access to an old 70 series Landcruiser for towing heavy loads such as these if needed, hence why a 3 series can be considered, I'm just thinking of the odd occasion where I'm stuck and have to use that vehicle to tow something that heavy.

FYI Aus has no weight restrictions like that when it comes to towing, it's all whatever the manufacturers specify. Only NZ has a "blanket rule" weight restriction.

Yes @gjm's E46 is one of the two I am considering right now for those reasons, the E39's though is a personal preference, I'd like to see what alternatives there are other than an E39.

What is the weight of a car trailer, most tandems are 6-800kg. Add a car and that is no doubt breaching the abilities of a 3 series and pushing an E39 to it limits. 

You can pick up E53 diesels pretty cheap now. 

Re weight limits for Aus, yes, I was quoting most double cab utes GCM as stated by manufacturer. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coop said:

What is the weight of a car trailer, most tandems are 6-800kg. Add a car and that is no doubt breaching the abilities of a 3 series and pushing an E39 to it limits. 

You can pick up E53 diesels pretty cheap now. 

Yes agreed completely, it is rare that I would need to tow that sort of weight and usually use the Landcruiser to do those missions.

Hmmm haven't seen any on TardeMe that are within my price range at the moment, it is another option too........

On 8/15/2019 at 3:24 PM, BM WORLD said:

Hi Brent, just wondering if you've heard anything yet?

There's been a few pop up on TardeMe but none are really catching my eye. Graham's one seems well looked after so it's an option being considered. I saw the E30 Touring in the For Sale section, it would've been perfect but it's out of my price range unfortunately. So the search continues.....

19 minutes ago, Mad_Max said:

Hi Brent, just wondering if you've heard anything yet?

There's been a few pop up on TardeMe but none are really catching my eye. Graham's one seems well looked after so it's an option being considered. I saw the E30 Touring in the For Sale section, it would've been perfect but it's out of my price range unfortunately. So the search continues.....

sorry just been too busy top go pick it up , hopefully soon

Had a look at a diesel X5 as well, while it would be better for towing it's just not really my cup of tea..... So the search is still on. There's a reasonable E39 528i on TardeMe that may be worth checking out at some stage, though its been on there for a while now......

Which one? The one Christchurch looks the best if its just a sensor fault. Its had at least had some work done also.