Sign in to follow this  
Mad_Max

Looking for a Touring

This one here yeah sensor should be easy enough to sort out, still not totally sold on an E39, though I spotted this one today. Am still hoping @BM WORLD has some luck with the E34 as well.

• Like 1

@Mad_Max the blue one is my old one. Its not a bad car, me and Paul have wasted a fair amount of money on it. I'd prob just want to check he got the A/C sorted. It has a prefacelift steering wheel because I swapped it into my current E39.

Has it had a frontal? It has the pre-facelift wheel and maybe lights, can’t really tell?
petrolhead4 (69 69 positive feedback) 10:31 pm, Mon 22 Jul
A. Not that I’m aware of, has had the steering wheel changed due to the airbag factory recall last year. Cheers 12:44 am, Tue 23 Jul

Hmm ok, they just change the airbag, or they’d change the whole wheel.
petrolhead4 (69 69 positive feedback) 11:11 am, Tue 23 Jul

Odd*

petrolhead4 (69 69 positive feedback) 11:11 am, Tue 23 Jul

hahahaha

Hahaha yeah I saw that.....

4 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

@Mad_Max the blue one is my old one. Its not a bad car, me and Paul have wasted a fair amount of money on it. I'd prob just want to check he got the A/C sorted. It has a prefacelift steering wheel because I swapped it into my current E39.

Yeah that's a much more likely story than the above lol. It does look nice and tidy, especially in that colour too. I'm not too fussed on AC given most of my time is in jSouthland, a heater is more important down this way lol. It's in the pile of "being considered" at the moment, along with Graham's. 

So possibly 3 potentials so far, all a bit different in their own way......

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:55 PM, Mad_Max said:

Couldn't give an exact weight as I don't know the weight of the trailer, but it is used for vehicles. I do have access to an old 70 series Landcruiser for towing heavy loads such as these if needed, hence why a 3 series can be considered, I'm just thinking of the odd occasion where I'm stuck and have to use that vehicle to tow something that heavy.

FYI Aus has no weight restrictions like that when it comes to towing, it's all whatever the manufacturers specify. Only NZ has a "blanket rule" weight restriction.

Don't under-estimate the towing capacity of the E46, I have towed a tandem-axle + E30 race car @1100kg+ + spare wheels and tools up and down the country many times with mine, without any issues. At a fair lick as well.

If you dig very deeply into the NZ rules around towing the "tow rating" on any vehicle is only a recommendation, NOT a legal limit. The only requirement is to be able to stop safely within a certain distance from 50km/h. Which my 330d would do well within the required distance, even loaded up with all the gubbins mentioned above. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Don't under-estimate the towing capacity of the E46, I have towed a tandem-axle + E30 race car @1100kg+ + spare wheels and tools up and down the country many times with mine, without any issues. At a fair lick as well.

If you dig very deeply into the NZ rules around towing the "tow rating" on any vehicle is only a recommendation, NOT a legal limit. The only requirement is to be able to stop safely within a certain distance from 50km/h. Which my 330d would do well within the required distance, even loaded up with all the gubbins mentioned above. 

Yeah I definitely haven't ruled out a 3 series, or a diesel. It'll all come down to what work the E34 wagon @BM WORLD mentioned would need immediately as I've got 2 E34 parts cars (525i and a 530i) sitting there. Personal preference for the body styling would be for the E34, but I haven't ruled anything out just yet - it's early days really.

Good to hear of other's experiences towing with the 3 series platforms though, input like that is always welcome.

You'd want the SLS setup is working properly, so many ive driven had shot accumulators ($350 ea local when i looked years ago and cannot be imported as you normal would). Still prefer it over air setup though.

16 hours ago, Eagle said:

You'd want the SLS setup is working properly, so many ive driven had shot accumulators ($350 ea local when i looked years ago and cannot be imported as you normal would). Still prefer it over air setup though.

Agreed, the vehicle will be getting a good checking over and most likely a fair bit of work put into it over time depending on what's critical.

Hmmmm so I've just heard of an E34 540i M-Sport here in Invercargill....... think he's gonna want way too much for that. Any news on the Touring yet @BM WORLD?

• Like 1

So I've been offered an E46 325i manual Touring from a member on here, which is tempting as well........ decisions, decisions lol. Just need to figure out this elusive E34 and decide hahaha.

• Like 1

Sadly, Graham has just informed me his Touring is a non starter now, taking that out of the running....... 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Mad_Max said:

Sadly, Graham has just informed me his Touring is a non starter now, taking that out of the running....... 

Aye. It's a very sad situation.

The 320d at my old landlord's place. I asked him to look it over - it won't start. Turns over without any issue whatsoever, but just does that - turns over. doesn't fire. It's been standing for some time but fresh diesel isn't changing anything.

As it stands it's probably worth little more than parts, and I'm not in a position to break it and achieve any value from it. It's a very sad way to part with a car that we've looked after so well for so long, but practicalities are that this may be the only solution.  :( 

On 9/3/2019 at 6:51 AM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Legal limit on a Class 1 is 6000kg, which shouldn’t concern people using a car to tow, but it could effect those with SUVs and utes pulling big loads. Too bad the CVIU doesn’t target some of these like they do to heavy transport. 

It would be too hard for authorities to place a legal limit on tow weights considering all cars are different. 

But if you were using your E46 to tow another 1400kg E46 on a 700kg trailer and ended up down a bank or veering across the road into oncoming traffic, chances are you’d be denied insurance and face relevant charges for breaching the manufacturers stated GCM. 

At at the end of the day a smaller, lighter car with a narrower track and shorter wheel base will not be as safe as towing at the upper limit as what a larger car will be (3 series v 5 series etc). It may be fine 99% of the time but when the shtf through no fault of your own and you get a sway on the larger mass and dimensions of the 5 series may just save you arse where the 3 will be crossed up in the ditch.

Agreed completely @coop, while it's rare at the moment that I'd need to tow a car, there are other tow vehicles much more suited to doing that that would be used if I get a 3 series. Hence why all that is being considered and thought of before any purchases made.

What's legal and what's common sense seem to be a couple of different things these days

Got the e34 540i touring 

call if keen

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BM WORLD said:

call if keen

Definitely. When's the best time to call?

22 hours ago, Mad_Max said:

Definitely. When's the best time to call?

day time early evening 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

day time early evening 

Will call late this afternoon/early evening, thanks Brent

17 minutes ago, Mad_Max said:

Will call late this afternoon/early evening, thanks Brent

might be sold by then 

Unfortunately the E34 that I was hanging to see (and most interested in) has been sold to someone else before I got a chance....

So the hunt is still on if anyone knows any others popping up for sale.