Sign in to follow this  
shuey

Gull 98

Does Mobil 98 have ethanol? (I heard it was the same blend as Gull?)

I've been running Gull and Mobil for 70,000km with no issue.

On 8/20/2019 at 5:08 PM, 325_driver said:

My father was the operations manager for Gull Petroleum, and he was the chemical engineer for all of their fuels, including ethanol blends, force 10 etc - I can ask him for a detailed explanation if you all want lol? What do we want to find out about the fuel? I'll dig into it and report back. 

From my memory when he was designing it, i heard it was actually supposedly superior for newer cars both in performance and better on the engines, it was only some of the older motors that might have had issues with the dryer combustion from the ethanol content.

i want to know where their(gull) diesel comes from and if it amy different in spec than the diesel i would buy from Z or bp. Where oes their diesel come from.Where does Mobil diesel come from?.I beleive Waitomo fuel is Mobil too.

1 hour ago, kiwi535 said:

i want to know where their(gull) diesel comes from and if it amy different in spec than the diesel i would buy from Z or bp. Where oes their diesel come from.Where does Mobil diesel come from?.I beleive Waitomo fuel is Mobil too.

From what I have learnt, Gull buys on the open market - whatever sells at the right price at the time. BP refines their own product and guarantees its octane rating. With Gull, sometime you can get lucky and get good quality, sometimes a bit average. 

18 minutes ago, C-130 Hercules said:

From what I have learnt, Gull buys on the open market - whatever sells at the right price at the time. BP refines their own product and guarantees its octane rating. With Gull, sometime you can get lucky and get good quality, sometimes a bit average. 

Sounds just like the local brothels down here...........

Edited by Mad_Max
  • Haha 1

@kiwi535  their fuel components come from Singapore

Fun fact - not sure if anyone remembered the Diesel crisis a decade or so about, Gull was the only brand which wasn't contaminated from the sulfur content, i remember there being Bank Run type queues at the stations during the time until the other fuel companies could redo all their Diesel

Things may have changed where they buy from with Caltex purchasing them, but i wouldn't imagine so because they have very specific mixing rules, i.e. the import the components in separately, and mix it into the different fuel grades at terminals New Zealand at Mount Maunganui Hewletts Road,

They make huge savings on Tax brackets, because there are different tax levies if your importing a Fuel Grade, or an un-mixed component which they mix locally to produce the end product at the pump, that's why they are able to always under cut fuel prices, they are at a huge cost advantage to produce.

Gull Bio Diesel gets its components from recycling/refining left over by-products from the dairy industry, by memory they are the only company to implement this process, the other companies have to manufacture the required components for it.

Other companies in NZ get their fuel from Marsden Point

and some from overseas

Not sure who gets what from where, but Gull definitely gets it components ex-singapore and produces the fuel products locally.

Edited by 325_driver
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Driftit said:

My race car has been sitting stored with E10 in its tank for 4 years.

Planned to drain and replace all fluids.  But I wonder if it will be ok.

Get it out now. Check all lines before using car in anger. Alternatively take it for a ride on guy fawkes 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/20/2019 at 7:46 PM, andrewm said:

Gull 98 is Gull 95 with ~10% ethanol.

~80% gasoline, ~10% ethanol, ~4% Toluene, ~3% Benzene and ~3% proprietary 'performance additives'

Yes you can run it all day long. The issues with ethanol on modern engines isn't generally that it corrodes anything, its that it has ~30% less energy than gasoline for a specific volume and has a different ideal air fuel ratio - in high ethanol percentages the ECU is unable to adjust fueling to compensate risking detonation.

So, you say yes I can run it all day long and then you pretty much say no I shouldn’t towards the end of your post.  ??????

On 8/20/2019 at 9:17 PM, Neal said:

Ran Mobil 98 in. Car and bike for a few years.

Didnt ride the bike much and had in the tank too long. Tried to start bike ( Ducati 748r) no go.

left it for a few months more and then got dealer to pick up.

basically fuel lines had turned to a snot / marshmallow substance, fuel pump fckd , sender stuffed. Basically $1400 in parts.

i won’t use ethanol blends again. 

Are you saying Mobil is an ethanol blend?

20 minutes ago, shuey said:

So, you say yes I can run it all day long and then you pretty much say no I shouldn’t towards the end of your post.  ??????

You can run 10%, it isnt high ethanol %. Stock fueling can adjust for 10% but 30%+ is a problem on many cars without a specific tune.

20 minutes ago, andrewm said:

You can run 10%, it isnt high ethanol %. Stock fueling can adjust for 10% but 30%+ is a problem on many cars without a specific tune.

So can I run Gull 98 or not?  Not interested in the science.  Just want to know if I can use the stuff I can buy down the road or if I need to keep buying Mobil or BP out of Auckland.  Cheers.

1 hour ago, shuey said:

Are you saying Mobil is an ethanol blend?

The local Mobil did advertise the 98 as a  ethanol blend. Was written on the pump. I think they sell both but I no longer use the brand..

i did try running my e46 m3 on it. It seem to engine knock more than normal 98 so I stopped using it. That was before I discovered the issue with the bike.

ive since learnt that Ducati still recommend that you don’t use it on bikes. It was causing the plastic fuel tanks to bulge and swell.

BMW saying ok to use after certain dates but I’ve lost trust in it. 

The good thing for myself was my bike no longer started which I thought was just stale fuel. I might have ended up with high pressure fuel being sprayed over my lower body and engine exhaust headers. Could have got very nasty quickly.

3 hours ago, shuey said:

So can I run Gull 98 or not?  Not interested in the science.  Just want to know if I can use the stuff I can buy down the road or if I need to keep buying Mobil or BP out of Auckland.  Cheers.

You can run it.

Cheers Andrew.

16 hours ago, Neal said:

The local Mobil did advertise the 98 as a  ethanol blend. Was written on the pump. I think they sell both but I no longer use the brand..

i did try running my e46 m3 on it. It seem to engine knock more than normal 98 so I stopped using it. That was before I discovered the issue with the bike.

ive since learnt that Ducati still recommend that you don’t use it on bikes. It was causing the plastic fuel tanks to bulge and swell.

BMW saying ok to use after certain dates but I’ve lost trust in it. 

The good thing for myself was my bike no longer started which I thought was just stale fuel. I might have ended up with high pressure fuel being sprayed over my lower body and engine exhaust headers. Could have got very nasty quickly.

Normal 98?

8 hours ago, shuey said:

Normal 98?

No , was 98 blend. The station concerned went back to selling 96

So team I have the definitive answer from a very capable technician who I know well and know I can trust.  Yes if the car is driven daily.  No if it is not.  Thanks for all your input.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, qube said:

^ can you elaborate on that

What’s there to elaborate on?  If you drive the car every day, then use Gull 98.  If you don’t, and I don’t, then use Gull 98 at your peril.  The ethanol coagulates and causes grief to engine components and parts.  

• Like 2

How long before the gull 98 coagulates?

Didn’t ask.  Don’t daily my car every day so that was it for me.

• Like 1

Thought I ask my question here as reasonably on topic. Bought a Diesel last year and have been wondering.

Would there be similar quality differences with Diesel? Is there a 'higher' standard that BP would work towards, compared to Gull for example? I.e. less contaminants for example. 

Also, where does Pak'n'Save fuel come from? G. A. S fuel is supplied by BP I belive...?

Z Energy.