Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

FIXED - More oil leaking! Did I just blow another CCV?

e90 n52b25

Ok, so I thought it was fixed, no more rough idles, no more engine codes, and well it seemed  to be running fine

I noticed the Idle was starting to sound a bit rough, albeit intermittently, 

I recently took it for a big round trip to the snow, got back and checked down the side of the block under the intake plenum, and sure enough over a 600km drive, i would say i can see atleast 100ml of fresh oil built up 

hoping for some insight if someone else has experienced similar issues like

a) how likely is it to blow a 2nd CCV (it wasn't OEM) & are there other factors that can lead to this

b) what else could be causing oil to puddle out on the head (where the headgasket lip is) and run over onto the block.

An engine code recently popped up, p1415, which looks to be vaccum leak related? Can a vaccum leak cause the CCV not to work properly and it pump it back into the intake?

The electronic dipstick hasn't moved from max, yet

Cheers

Edited by 325_driver

Is it overfull ? 

@Jacko When the oil warning light came on to put in +1l, i put in exactly +1l

the electronic dip stick says its on the full mark (not over it)

@Driftit Hey i saw a comment from you about the CCV saying something about "a leak stopping it from working"

What did you mean?

Only reason why i'm asking is because, there's more oil in the same place (puddled in the head grooves and running down onto the block), and im convinced its oil seeping through the intake again, its not coming from rocker cover or anywhere else, and it's highly unlikely that another CCV has failed.

is there something that can stop a CCV from operating as it should, i.e. the oil that should be going down to the sump, ends up going back into the intake.

Edited by 325_driver

Ok update, found the oil leak,

hoping this helps some one else in the future.

This is funny

So when the CCV was leaking, the oil was going through the intake, leaking through the seals and trailing down the head, creating puddles and then overflowing past the head gasket onto the block, i could see the oil dripping sort of on the bottom of the intake flange.

To confirm - Both the original OEM CCV was starting to fail and the new non OEM CCV also started to fail

3rd time lucky - after taking it for a 20km drive after installing the new OEM CCV, oil was depositing in the exact same places, in the exact same way, and made me go? Did I just blow another CCV, maybe, but unlikely. It was atleast 50ml of oil, just from that short drive, and i didn't think it was possible to have all of that just coming from a CCV, unless it was sucking it up from the sump.

I thought, it couldnt be the rocker cover gasket, as that was just done recently before i purchased it, but took off the covers anyway just to have a better look.

So i saw oil puddled in the rocker cover, but it was above the gasket, so i had no idea how it could have got there, but it atleast gave me another clue

Enter the Oil Pressure Switch, I noticed, oil was oozing out the plug where the connector meets, and that oil was pumping through the wiring heat shield, and then running all along over the rocker cover, which then waterfalls down the intake, head, and block.

The loom had basically become an oil line.

So to anyone else going on a mad hunt for the source of oil leaks, take the connector off the oil

pressure swtich, see if thats the culprit first.

To think i was just about to burn this car to the ground from all the frustration

Edited by 325_driver
  • Haha 1

Thats a new one :D 

Wonder if its been overfilled or something in the past, leading it to blow all the foofs out. 

Edit - that same loom goes around to one of the vanos solenoids...

Edited by Jacko

@Jacko the only reason why it was coming out round that location, was because there was a gap in the loom / heat shield round cylinder 2, so all that oil pumping through the sensor, was pouring out over the rocker cover and then coming down the intake side.

Lol you reckon all that oil could have something to do with my vanos code haha? like clogging up at the connector.

It's hard to explain how much oil is pumping through this hole in the sensor! It would work out at 1l every 500km  at this rate!

Edited by 325_driver