Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Craig Lord - Auckland Mayoral Candidate

Without getting political and way off topic, if you're in Auckland and vote, Craig Lord is after your support.

Not the usual B-grade politcian, but an engineer and motorsport commentator, so is struggling to get his face out there as doesn't fit the conventional mould for a politician. 

Sane ideas, has some credibility, and likes playing with cars. Check him out (his first public speech is on faceballs, made Goff and JT look like amateurs) 

https://www.craiglord.nz/

https://www.facebook.com/CraigLordMayor2019/

Mods - Please delete if not allowed, Im in no way affiliated with Craig, just many of his ideas and views likely fit in with many on this forum, and he needs a hand to get shed done ;) 

Its a wasted vote, as the Mayoralty is a two horse race.

A vote for him splits the JT vote, so helps Goff get another term.

If you want Goff just vote for Goff. If you dont want Goff, then dont split the vote and vote for JT.

• Like 1

Its only a two horse race if the media only show two horses, spreading his name, getting people talking about him and forcing the media to pick up on it is how it gets changed. I dont know anyone who actually wants Goff or Tamihere, but they dont know there is actually a third option (well there are 21 of them, but the rest are all just waving flags for various causes)

Craig Lords got enough sanity behind him, and can absolutely kill it in making public addresses (Goff and JT got boos and jeers, CL was getting rounds of applause from Greypower!), to get a large amount of people to back him, he just needs to get his face out there and to do it without a massive marketing budget. 

Edited by Jacko

Local govt has got to be one of the most hopeless talent pools out there. 

Hardly surprising when you look at what the average Auckland councillor is paid. Why would you bother?

1 hour ago, NZ BMW said:

Hardly surprising when you look at what the average Auckland councillor is paid. Why would you bother?

I suspect they get paid above the median. Not bad for a job that consists of meetings and zero effective accountability.

Local government in NZ is a waste of time, period.

• Like 1

Mayor makes 300k a year or so, and its not set by the council, its a stupid amount of money especially considering the results and stupidity that previous mayors babble while getting that pay cheque!

Craigs addressed the payrate a few times, has no power to change it, but intends to be very philanthropic :)

Go check out his ideas, particularly around things like motorsport (western springs) and public groups, and his approach to fixing the ACC in a similar way to how you would fix a broken machine, before you throw him in with the other "independents" who are waving banners for causes.  He really does have a chance of getting in, if his profile is raised in the media. 

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

Mayor makes 300k a year or so, and its not set by the council, its a stupid amount of money especially considering the results and stupidity that previous mayors babble while getting that pay cheque!

Craigs addressed the payrate a few times, has no power to change it, but intends to be very philanthropic :)

Go check out his ideas, particularly around things like motorsport (western springs) and public groups, and his approach to fixing the ACC in a similar way to how you would fix a broken machine, before you throw him in with the other "independents" who are waving banners for causes.  He really does have a chance of getting in, if his profile is raised in the media. 

$300k per year and that wouldn't include corrupt back handers from private businesses and organisations. 

Take Wellingtons mayor and how the recent sale of Shelly Bay to prominent rogue property developer came about, Wellingtons un used and un wanted cycleways popping up grossly opposed by local residents, associate minister of transport letter to Lester regarding 'get Wellington moving' and her refusal to make details public while her husbands company of urban transport planning picks up untendered Govt contracts regarding transport 'solutions' that fit in with their unrealistic but idealistic anti motorist agenda. 

Yeah the pope would have more chance of being a Muslim than the possibility of no dodgy back room deals and corruption by those who are suppose to represent/are being paid by the rate payer and tax payer. 

There needs to be a time limit that these trough feeders can bludge off the rate & tax payers. Goff has been sucking off the tax payers tit for nearly all of his working life starting back in the 1960s. Time to kick these self serving bludgers out the door and make them get a job in the real world!

Edited by coop
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, huff3r said:

Could try building a wall?

And make Hamilton pay for it? Keep all of them out..

• Haha 2

Just now, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

And make Hamilton pay for it? Keep all of them out..

They'd probably give you a solid 7 wire fence. Just wait til I move South of the Bombays first, I'd rather be stuck out of than stuck in Auckland!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, coop said:

$300k per year and that wouldn't include corrupt back handers from private businesses and organisations. 

Take Wellingtons mayor and how the recent sale of Shelly Bay to prominent rogue property developer came about, Wellingtons un used and un wanted cycleways popping up grossly opposed by local residents, associate minister of transport letter to Lester regarding 'get Wellington moving' and her refusal to make details public while her husbands company of urban transport planning picks up untendered Govt contracts regarding transport 'solutions' that fit in with their unrealistic but idealistic anti motorist agenda. 

Yeah the pope would have more chance of being a Muslim than the possibility of no dodgy back room deals and corruption by those who are suppose to represent/are being paid by the rate payer and tax payer. 

There needs to be a time limit that these trough feeders can bludge off the rate & tax payers. Goff has been sucking off the tax payers tit for nearly all of his working life starting back in the 1960s. Time to kick these self serving bludgers out the door and make them get a job in the real world!

nicely put

1 hour ago, huff3r said:

They'd probably give you a solid 7 wire fence. Just wait til I move South of the Bombays first, I'd rather be stuck out of than stuck in Auckland!

just when we thought "Ponsonby Paul" had stuck, you could become "Palmy Paul" again?

13 minutes ago, Olaf said:

just when we thought "Ponsonby Paul" had stuck, you could become "Palmy Paul" again?

Oh I'm not going back to Palmy! Probably. Never say never ?

1 minute ago, huff3r said:

Oh I'm not going back to Palmy! Probably. Never say never ?

well yes, you're correct.  There I am generalising, Ohakea is sort of near to Palmy, eh. ?

19 hours ago, Jacko said:

Its only a two horse race if the media only show two horses, spreading his name, getting people talking about him and forcing the media to pick up on it is how it gets changed. I dont know anyone who actually wants Goff or Tamihere, but they dont know there is actually a third option (well there are 21 of them, but the rest are all just waving flags for various causes)

Craig Lords got enough sanity behind him, and can absolutely kill it in making public addresses (Goff and JT got boos and jeers, CL was getting rounds of applause from Greypower!), to get a large amount of people to back him, he just needs to get his face out there and to do it without a massive marketing budget. 

That theory doesn't work as CL wont win the mayoralty - he can only help Goffs chances.

Voting CL helps Goff win by splitting the JT vote.

So again, you only have two choices Goff or JT.

Its like voting for a new party in the general election thinking they can beat both National and Labour and run the country.

The saddest thing is I suspect there are more people who don't want PG or JT (collectively) than do. But the significant number of Mayoral candidates will dilute the voting sufficiently that one or other is most likely to win.

CL has made some excellent points, but he's certainly struggling to get the media representation that the big 2 receive. Talking to someone who was visiting Hawke's Bay from Auckland, they'd not heard of him. Whether he'd be a better prospect is another matter.

• Like 1

Hence spreading his name around, his social media presence is already skyrocketing, its nearly quadrupled in a week. 

I think he needs to go do more public debates with the other candidates, as that will get him some real world attention as he is a waaaay better public speaker than JT or Goff. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, C-130 Hercules said:

He came home 3rd...

Pretty good outing considering he had 1/8th the marketing budget, He's already said he will be standing again next time, heres hoping he can get more traction next time around. Its pretty amazing how the media affect who sees what, the whole things so slimey. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jacko said:

Pretty good outing considering he had 1/8th the marketing budget, He's already said he will be standing again next time, heres hoping he can get more traction next time around. Its pretty amazing how the media affect who sees what, the whole things so slimey. 

You’re not wrong. 

So it’s not hard to see why there is such a low voter turn out. Less than one third of eligible voters, voted in Auckland. A two horse race with such piss poor trough dweller options is the perfect way to keep voters away. Most voters are I guess apathetic, while a lot are probably refusing to vote out of disgust and a feeling of hopelessness. 

And there is a saying if if you don’t vote, you can’t complain. 

Well that is a crock of sh*t. 

If I pay for example $4k per year in rates, and or $30k per year in income tax, I have every right to complain whether I’ve voted or not. 

local body elections need to be reformed.

Even if a mayoral candidate was voted in by 100% voter take up , they are just a figure head with 1 vote on the board. and no power

what's needed in my opinion is a party/group/Team, kinda like the general elections without the MMP factor with the power to sack/fire those that are making poor decisions .

The bureaucrats that sit in the background for years glad-handing their way up the corporation ladder should have to under go KPI's ( the bigger the paycheque the tougher the kpi's )  every 2years or get sacked.

And because its basically a publicly owned company/corporation, how and where the money was spent should be freely available on their website in a easy to understand format. every cent.

At the moment they set a budget and go about spending our money.

eg. parks get a big slice of the pie, millions. but is doesn't breakdown how that money was spent. its just in the budget.

• Like 1

Can't quickly address all details, but some Councils do offer the kind of transparency you describe. 

And individual accountability is covered but perhaps, again, only by some Councils. 

For less co-operative councils, there are LGOIMA requests. And the public can attend any council meeting. 

5 hours ago, gjm said:

Can't quickly address all details, but some Councils do offer the kind of transparency you describe. 

And individual accountability is covered but perhaps, again, only by some Councils. 

For less co-operative councils, there are LGOIMA requests. And the public can attend any council meeting. 

Excepting the meetings when they want to push through something controversial in a hurry... Those ones are closed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Excepting the meetings when they want to push through something controversial in a hurry... Those ones are closed.

exactly, I don't know about other council's but Auckland has a lot of "closed door meetings" .

• Like 1