Sign in to follow this  
coffeemachine

UK Import vs NZ new

Hi there,

really enjoying reading some of the posts here, seems to be a very active forum.  I am looking to purchase a UK Imported BMW, its pretty low Km, basically brand new, much cheaper than NZ new.  I understand that BMW provide a 2 year warranty on new cars.  Does anyone here have experience with purchasing UK imports?  

I have heard of a few horror stories around part not available, warranty not covering repairs, salt/corrosion issues, etc.  Any guidance or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.  Really like this car.  Thanks in advance!   

Just a quick starting point, even if it is low kid it is not brand new, the car will have been registered in U.K. and will be classed as a used import. The 2 year factory warranty starts at date of first registration, so clock will have been ticking from the U.K. reg date, probably quite a few months by the time you get it here and on the road.

FWIW a NZ new BMW model comes with a five year warranty, plus three years servicing inclusive.

Lots of things to consider, what often seems like a considerable saving is not always the case.

Which particular model are you looking at getting, are you buying it or getting it through a broker?

I've been happy with my UK imported F31 335d Xdrive - mainly brought it in as the NZ operation didn't offer anything better than a 330d tourer at the time (and they were selling for 30k more than I bought mine for). If the car is near new the odds of significant salt exposure (-> corrosion) are minimal. 

The warranty has improved on the NZ new ones since I bought mine which is quite a nice selling point. The service is a bit of a red herring IMO as you'll get one oil/filter change and one brake fluid change in 3 years unless you're doing mega KM, so total value $4-500.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Forget the new car warranty, it'll be more hassle than it's worth, get mechanical insurance instead and factor that into the cost. Check for rust behind the wheel well liners, if there's none then the rest is up to you.

15 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Just a quick starting point, even if it is low kid it is not brand new, the car will have been registered in U.K. and will be classed as a used import. The 2 year factory warranty starts at date of first registration, so clock will have been ticking from the U.K. reg date, probably quite a few months by the time you get it here and on the road.

FWIW a NZ new BMW model comes with a five year warranty, plus three years servicing inclusive.

Lots of things to consider, what often seems like a considerable saving is not always the case.

Which particular model are you looking at getting, are you buying it or getting it through a broker?

Thanks for the reply and the info on when the warranty starts.  I just have found one on trade me and another one via a dealer.  I am looking at a 2019 X5.  The difference between what the NZ dealer wants and a UK import is quite significant.

I am also looking at some older 3rd generation X5 cars that are NZ new.  They are about the same price as a UK imported 4th Gen X5.  Its a hard call to make.  

I did not think of going to a broker direct, is that a better idea, if looking at getting a UK import?  

14 hours ago, M3AN said:

Forget the new car warranty, it'll be more hassle than it's worth, get mechanical insurance instead and factor that into the cost. Check for rust behind the wheel well liners, if there's none then the rest is up to you.

thanks for the reply.  Any recommendations on who to use for the mechanical warranty?  I was going to go to Turners as they offer the Autosure product. 

14 hours ago, balancerider said:

I've been happy with my UK imported F31 335d Xdrive - mainly brought it in as the NZ operation didn't offer anything better than a 330d tourer at the time (and they were selling for 30k more than I bought mine for). If the car is near new the odds of significant salt exposure (-> corrosion) are minimal. 

The warranty has improved on the NZ new ones since I bought mine which is quite a nice selling point. The service is a bit of a red herring IMO as you'll get one oil/filter change and one brake fluid change in 3 years unless you're doing mega KM, so total value $4-500.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Hi there, who imported you 335d for you?  How old was it when you go it?  There are quite a few comments in the forums about salt and corrosion.  I am looking a quite new models so I guess salt wont be a huge issue esp if you purchase one that was sold in the UK summer.  

11 minutes ago, coffeemachine said:

Hi there, who imported you 335d for you?  How old was it when you go it?  There are quite a few comments in the forums about salt and corrosion.  I am looking a quite new models so I guess salt wont be a huge issue esp if you purchase one that was sold in the UK summer.  

I used European Car Imports (highly recommended, will be able to get the exact spec you want) - purchased November 2017 (it's a 2016) I'd certainly be surprised if there was significant corrosion on a 2019 model but worth getting an inspection prior to purchase if you're concerned. 

My impression is the 'all UK imports have rust' story is about as reliable as 'all Jap imports are in bad condition with wound back odometers' - I've seen plenty of rough NZ new cars and mint imports so caveat emptor.

• Like 2

UK cars tend to be cheaper because the standard options list is smaller than on NZ new cars so make sure you are comparing apples with apples. EG have seen X5M50d without heads up display, G30s without front facing cameras etc

• Like 1

6 hours ago, balancerider said:

I used European Car Imports (highly recommended, will be able to get the exact spec you want) - purchased November 2017 (it's a 2016) I'd certainly be surprised if there was significant corrosion on a 2019 model but worth getting an inspection prior to purchase if you're concerned. 

My impression is the 'all UK imports have rust' story is about as reliable as 'all Jap imports are in bad condition with wound back odometers' - I've seen plenty of rough NZ new cars and mint imports so caveat emptor.

Hi, just contacted European Cars, and they have given me some options.  Gaz is the post above is correct, the spec list is very small.  I have managed to find a few well spec'ed options.  Waiting to see what the price is.  Sally came back pretty quick, off to a good start!  

5 hours ago, Gaz said:

UK cars tend to be cheaper because the standard options list is smaller than on NZ new cars so make sure you are comparing apples with apples. EG have seen X5M50d without heads up display, G30s without front facing cameras etc

Hi Gaz, totally.  Been looking at a few new vehicles and yes, you have to be careful as the spec list can be quite low on most of them.  Looking out for better spec'ed options.  

4 hours ago, coffeemachine said:

Hi, just contacted European Cars, and they have given me some options.  Gaz is the post above is correct, the spec list is very small.  I have managed to find a few well spec'ed options.  Waiting to see what the price is.  Sally came back pretty quick, off to a good start!  

Nice one. Yep the spec can be lower, though there are some dealer and ex-lease cars which are fully stacked as well. 

manuals are more common in the UK too though the spec on them can be pretty low.

Manuals are only really on the older models now, most of the new stuff comes as auto only from factory, either steptronic, or sports steptronic, with a few varieties thrown in for good measure. It is only really the smaller base models (which there is no point to import) or the hi-performance M stuff that can be made as manuals.

Always worth using a broker unless you have someone on the ground at the other end to check the car out for you. That way there is someone to come back to if things don't work out as planned, there are quire a few people in NZ that have imported cars (from UK and Japan) personally, and it has gone horribly wrong for them. From cars that can't be complied, through to my current favourite - the "new" car that turned up with a different passenger seat to the rest of the interior.

dunno about that but on the odd occasion i have used the UK BMW deaer "configurator" to build a car and manuals are (were) available.

Are you saying that i could NOT get a manual if i actually ordered it,(depending on model) here in NZ?I realise that there would not be a manual in stock in NZ,

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

That is correct many models do not have a manual transmission available to order, for example the only model of the new 3 Series offered in NZ that can be a manual are the 320i and 320d. The 330i, 330e and M340i are all auto only from factory.

Here is an update.  Been working with Sally from European Car Imports, have found her very professional.  X5 has been ordered, it was registered in April, will be put on the ship in the coming days/weeks.  Licences in UK cut over in September I believe so the previous plate cars dropped in price which has really helped (as such a stupid thing, this is beyond me, but helps my wallet!).  Will have avoided salt roads as well. 

Thanks to everyone who posted on this topic.  I found your comments all very helpful and thanks to balancerider for the intro to Sally.  

• Like 1

Salt roads... love the internet wisdom and myths.

6 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Salt roads... love the internet wisdom and myths.

Agreed. It's the shitty climate and lack of indoor parking that destroys UK cars, not the salt on the roads.

But any car that's lived a life in the UK needs to be thoroughly checked for rust, it's simple risk mitigation. 

On 8/19/2019 at 2:18 PM, balancerider said:

Hi, got the car this week, Sally from European Car imports was really great, and I had a very good experience.  Thanks for the pointer.  I can highly recommend their service and professionalism.  If anyone is looking to import a vehicle from the UK, do get intouch with Sally.  Loving the new car as well!

• Like 2

Good car, some nice options on there, the Individual Leather is good, and the Sky Lounge is not often ordered.

Shame it doesn't have the 3rd row of seats or a factory tow bar - they are the two most sought after options in NZ so that will hurt your RV some sale time, but not as much as registering it in December as a used import.

Did they manage to get your connect drive services working for you?

How much cheaper than the local one? You can not give exact numbers, at least approximately.