Sign in to follow this  
blake12

XHP tune

Couldn't find anything on here regarding the XHP tune when I searched, was looking for members opinions. 
So thought I would post mine. 

I tuned stage 2 on Tuesday, and for me personally, this is possibly the best "mod" I have made to the car.
Im on MHD1+, catted dp's etc. - and while the extra power is nice, it's not that usable all the time. 
The xhp tune however makes every aspect of driving the car better. Drive mode is sooo much smoother now.
Gone are the sometimes jolty changes with the car is cold. Every change is smoother and the shift points are better for me. I'll definitely be using less gass. 

Swapping to manual and the speed in changes is amazing! The car pulls off from a stop so surely now, no more sluggish feeling.
No more dropping to 1st by itself as im mid roundabout and making a racket. 
Throttle blipping on downshifts is glorious. 

No point in this post other to say, if you've been driving a e90 for a while and are really accustomed to it's nature, you'll notice a massive improvement with this flash. 

Edited by blake12
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I got the stage 3 tune on my M135i and it does indeed make a good improvement. Shifts are so much faster in sport+ mode.

I am about to add an XHP tune to my 07 335i but not sure whether to go stage 2 or stage 3. What is the main advantage of stage 3 over stage 2?

On 10/17/2019 at 7:40 AM, Herbmiester said:

I am about to add an XHP tune to my 07 335i but not sure whether to go stage 2 or stage 3. What is the main advantage of stage 3 over stage 2?

- Stage 3 shifts are approx. 25% faster (according to their website)

- Paddle response is faster (my 07 335i shifts almost as fast as my brother's F10 M5 DCT), HUGE improvement over stock

- The torque limit before the TCU forces an upshift is raised in each gear

- In M mode the car will never upshift on its own even when approaching/hitting redline. This could either be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the driver. I like it as in first gear with MHD the optimal shift point (if trying to go fast) is in the high 6k range while redline is at 7k.

- Automatic rev-matches on downshifts in S and M mode, sounds great and feels smoother when slowing down quickly

That being said, in D mode the stage 3 tune is not aggressive in the slightest. Feels very smooth and is perfect for daily driving. If I were you I would just flash straight to stage 3, which also seems to be the consensus on other forums from my research.

Edited by Dom.
  • Like 1

Dom

Thanks for that, I was pretty settled on stage 3 but couldn't find enough info on the daily driving experience in D. I like the throttle blipping for dons shifts form a purely boyish perspective. The no upshift in manual is also excellent and it seems funny but my old BF XR6 with a ZF transmission had that stock and it was very useful for press on driving. I might however have to retrofit paddles. 

• Like 1

I found stage 3 in my E91 was far too aggressive and harsh when shifting in anything but D mode. Sure, it was damn quick, but it got tiring after a bit. I went down to stage 2 and liked it much better, and didnt lose that much shift speed.