Sign in to follow this  
Frenzy

Balance between DD and FBO Fun

Hi Everyone, 

Brand noob here - sorry if this has been answered a billion times i did a search and although found stacks of knowledge, but I wanted to see if i can put it in some sort of order (at least in my mind);

Im toying with the idea if a 335i - but before i got stuck in wanted to get some thoughts from you guys;

I wanted to strike a balance between a fun, quick-ish car that will provide the back in your seat feel, whilst able to use it as a every day driver and where to stop to achieve this.

My shopping list looks like (Brand agnostic for some of these)  

- Dual Cones 

- Catless downpipes 

- FMIC

- JB4 (Looking at about 14psi??) 

Does this look about right for my purpose - or am i setting myself up for a few days a week of maintenance.

Thanks for the help and happy to clarify more if needed

FBO?

If you need so much more power than the 300hp these come from factory with, budget for an LSD.

• Like 2

Have you driven a 335i yet? You might be surprised by how fast they are bone stock

• Like 1

335i. Best daily I’ve ever had. Nice long wheel base when cruising (not as choppy as a 135i). Amazing fuel economy (for the performance). Looks great (imho). 

7 hours ago, BozzaFC said:

Have you driven a 335i yet? You might be surprised by how fast they are bone stock

They aren't fast stock.

• Sad 1

FMIC and MHD Tune 370hp and over 500 nm. Trans tune via XHP, M3 control arms and LSD. Daily driver rocketship.

• Like 1

If a 335i isn’t fast stock then there’s no hope for my poor old 530i ?

Perhaps if I owned a V10 M5 that would place me back within the realm of reality of fast cars ??

It's all relative, an E60 M5 ain't that fast either if that helps.  

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

certainly seemed fast when I drove one.

5 hours ago, Eagle said:

Yeah the M5 is only fast at the top end, once you are in the zone it's good.  Anything below 4000 rpm is pretty tame.  

My E55 was fast, everywhere, all the time.  500hp and 800NM though.

Fast doesn't mean fun either, especially as a daily.  There's limited opportunity for me to ring my cars out on our roads which is sad :(.  

335i with basic bolt ons and a tune should be plenty to have fun with.

20 hours ago, GorGasm said:

They aren't fast stock.

Yikes. Maybe I got the Herbie version?

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2019 at 11:34 PM, Herbmiester said:

FMIC and MHD Tune 370hp and over 500 nm. Trans tune via XHP, M3 control arms and LSD. Daily driver rocketship.

Thanks.  Appreciate the feedback everyone. Great community here.  

On 8/23/2019 at 3:31 PM, BozzaFC said:

I am coming from an amg - a45 so will was  not overwhelmed by the speed of a 335.  Before everyone asks wtf!!  I really like the idea of a project car, something I can build and run, and prefer the look and feel of the 335 over the a45. I was figuring I can probably do a lot to the 335 with the money I can hopefully make when I sell it.  

7 hours ago, Frenzy said:

I am coming from an amg - a45 so will was  not overwhelmed by the speed of a 335.  Before everyone asks wtf!!  I really like the idea of a project car, something I can build and run, and prefer the look and feel of the 335 over the a45.

You are clearly of discerning taste.  The A45 is akin to the current mad hot-hatch Honda, both of which look like they’ve been taken to by a teenage art student with scissors, cardboard, and Colour-matched duct tape.  This is a very worthwhile journey you are embarking on. ?

Given that Mercedes demographic are the younger crowd these days, i guess they gotta do that type of thing. 

8 hours ago, Frenzy said:

I am coming from an amg - a45 so will was  not overwhelmed by the speed of a 335.  Before everyone asks wtf!!  I really like the idea of a project car, something I can build and run, and prefer the look and feel of the 335 over the a45. I was figuring I can probably do a lot to the 335 with the money I can hopefully make when I sell it.  

Yes A45 very quick car. 335's main issue is getting off the line. So the 0-100 time are never as good as a sorted 4wd car. Once you get into more serious mods like MHD Stage 2 the top end shove gets decent. I ran stage 2 for a laugh but as I still had cats in I didn't persist. A 335i is as cheap as 13k now so you can throw a bit at it to get 400 plus HP and still not have a lot invested. There are certainly faster cars out there but many cost a lot more for similar performance and handling. I do agree that once you have driven a few fast cars the 335i no longer overwhelms, but we dont have any autobahns and a tuned 335l would go very well with some space. 

No need for JB4 since MHD if you just looking at 350-400whp
You'll need a charge pipe btw, the plastic one explodes when you up the boost - not expensive 

The dual cone intakes are pointless unless you want the induction sound. Pretty sure there's no gains unless your doing single turbo 500+ hp kinda builds. 
If anything all it means is your sucking in hot air

Edited by blake12

As mentioned earlier get a n LSD. I have driven a 335i with one and its the best thing to buy after you have done an FMIC, charge pipe and MHD tune.