Sign in to follow this  
NZ BMW

Anyone used GardX before? Worth it?

There is a thread here from 2008 but I figured things may (or may not) have moved on in 11 years.

I have a new to me car coming from Auckland City BMW and they recommended GardX for around a grand. I’ll be honest, I’m somewhat a skeptic when it comes to these types of coatings but more and more people seem to be using them. I believe OCD is using a different brand, being ceramic which is priced at a similar level. 

Are these thing things really just for people who never wash their cars or are they good? Anyone actually had it applied by a dealer? The cost includes interior protection which I must admit does appeal to me to preserve the leather. 

Look forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts!

I tend to see it as another unnecessary snake oil type product for those with too much money. I'm sure others will swear by it.

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

I tend to see it as another unnecessary snake oil type product for those with too much money. I'm sure others will swear by it.

I'm probably in that boat too. It's not that I don't believe it might work, it's just that I think anything that it can do is in the margins and the cost has always seemed exorbitant to me.

It would be good to be proved wrong with something other than a distributor's YouTube video.

Family member got scammed by this. No better than a quality wax / sealant IMO. 

Ceramic coasting work and last much better. You can DIY, it's not difficult. 

• Like 1

I spent a little time during Super Cars quali to look further into this stuff.

TLDR; you're paying for the labour so do your own sums

The most interesting thing I found is that most manufacturers actually support such products although few (if any) will acknowledge that they're "necessary". The cynic in me sees this as a profit and margin game.

There are no standards for these products and all sorts of unproven claims are made in the industry. The range of consumer experiences seems to be from "made no difference, rip off" through to "amazing product" but, despite long-term warranties and guaranties (which seem impossible to claim on) there is no obvious proof that these products hang around on your actual paint for any length of time.

An interesting industry article, it's all about selling more cars and making more margin: https://www.am-online.com/news/2013/8/8/paint-protection-can-put-a-gloss-on-car-dealer-profits/33328/

The products themselves sell to the dealer network for between NZ$30 and NZ$60 per vehicle, and some are charging $900 to apply it. You're paying an insignificant amount for the product and probably significantly over-paying for labour.

I thought 'that can't be right' then found this... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Polish-Wax-Best-Instant-Shine-Zonyl-GardX-Paintwork-Sealant-2-Stage-125ml/192221606759

Is it worth $900? Well, only if it takes more than 25 hours to apply... and that's not going to happen right?

My thinking is that if the customer is not one to regularly wash their car well then it probably works. I usually have a coat of wax on the vehicle so I’ll stick with that and decline it. That and if you have to “maintain” with the GardX anyway, what’s the point? 

I think although the $900 is not too bad of you think about the time it will save you over say two years (assuming it does everything it should) if you’re not someone who lovingly washes and waxes their car. Let’s face it, most people have no interest in that. 

Edited by NZ BMW