Sign in to follow this  
amdaman

E39 Radio Cutting Out

Hi, I've got the awful screen type radio in my E39 and recently when going over a bump the radio will cut out (screen stays on) and will come back on a few moments later.  From what I suspect this is probably the amp (8371025).  

Question:  If i get a replacement amp from a breakers will it just work or do I need to faff around with coding?  Second question is if I upgrade to an android style unit later on will can I keep the existing arrangement with the amp?  I'm not into ICE but like the basics.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Amp should be plug and play provided its the correct type. Android units connect to the existing factory setup. If you got 'screen type radio' then you would need to buy the extended radio wiring harness, you would then have to run this from the new head unit to the boot to connect into the radio module (which controls the amp, speakers, radio)

On 8/26/2019 at 9:16 AM, Eagle said:

Amp should be plug and play provided its the correct type. Android units connect to the existing factory setup. If you got 'screen type radio' then you would need to buy the extended radio wiring harness, you would then have to run this from the new head unit to the boot to connect into the radio module (which controls the amp, speakers, radio)

Hey Eagle - I changed the amp yesterday and it still cuts out, although the orange light stays on now rather than goes off.  I'm guessing it's the actual unit in the dash which is the 16:9 screen (no nav).

I've got an android unit coming but what did you mean about the radio harness - does this not just all plug into the back at the dash?  I couldn't see a radio module when I was replacing the amp, only a phone module, amp and CD changer.  I don't have a DSP amp either.  Will I still need to get that harness?

Cheers.

Yeah could possibly be the module im not sure.

Others can probably confirm the location etc as i haven't played around much with E39 audio, i would think its below or behind the amp etc, possibly hidden behind the carpet. I don't think having no nav would change the location but you can remove the screen easy enough and check for the plug. Yes if you dont have the 17 pin plug in the dash then you will need to run the extended harness.

I would first check the battery is secure - had this once where weird things happened over bumps and it turned out the battery clamp was not installed. 

Then cables behind dash unit and follow for loose wires. 

Perhaps also rear passenger signal booster? Or antenna  booster, something like that behind pillar cover. Both e39 ive owned the plugs worked their way out but i cant remember what issue it gave me. 

Problem is many of these are so brittle that removing the cover breaks the clips. 

Cheers - If i take the plugs out of the amp and plug it all back in then the unit will work properly again until the next bump, there's definitely something odd going on.  I'll start checking wires when I take the H/U out when it arrives. 

Does the heater fan stop working at the same time ??

the climate control fan?  That seems good - i know because it was freezing this morning and the heater was keeping me warm ha!

That rules out the auxiliary power supply from ignition switch then