Sign in to follow this  
andrewm

LSB m6

Carbon ceramic brakes - "will last lifetime of vehicle".

Get them to guarantee that in writing because it's the most stupid street car option imaginable when replacement costs are north of $8k.

And I bet they're about as "lifetime" as BMW fluids.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Get them to guarantee that in writing because it's the most stupid street car option imaginable when replacement costs are north of $8k.

Depends how the car is used. A few track days annihilate CCM but normal/spirited road driving you'll hardly even have to change pads.

7 hours ago, M3AN said:

I imagine they vary but I read a tech paper on audi rs6 ceramics that were expected to last 3x longer than steel equivalents.

Definitely not a cost saving but I imagine 200,000km on a road car shouldnt be a problem. 

Prices coming down though, I see some of the merc discs are down to only 2500 US each lol.

I didn't realise they lasted quite that long, I thought they were twice maybe... the track outlook would concern me though.

I could be wrong but if/when replacement was needed you could always put in "standard" M6 brakes, right? 

1 hour ago, Camu said:

I could be wrong but if/when replacement was needed you could always put in "standard" M6 brakes, right? 

Caliper and rotor sizing usually different. 

May be able to get aftermarket brackets and steel rotors to fit though. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, M3AN said:

it's the most stupid street car option imaginable when replacement costs are north of $8k.

It's not just the replacement costs, they are not very nice to drive on the road from my experience (may have improved over time, but..) they are noisy, and usually cold with poor brake feel.

But then, none of that is important, as it's all about the wank factor, and standing at Kyu's once a month and saying "yeah, but then I've got the ceramic brake option..."

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

You also need a doctors skills to install them or even taking a wheel on /off the vehicle. Make sure your insurance is up to date.

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Haha 1

And apparently you need to take extra care when washing your wheels to keep the cleaning fluids off the rotors... f' that.

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

And apparently you need to take extra care when washing your wheels to keep the cleaning fluids off the rotors... f' that.

But of course, the detailer you pay to keep your brand new M6 spec’d with csb’s knows that...

• Like 1

True, very true.

If one can afford such brakes, cleaning a car is surely below one's pay grade.

I'm thinking of buying a whole BMW that costs less than these brakes, I must be in the wrong industry!

Edited by M3AN

27 minutes ago, M3AN said:

True, very true.

If one can afford such brakes, cleaning a car is surely below one's pay grade.

I'm thinking of buying a whole BMW that costs less than these brakes, I must be in the wrong industry!

Silence, serf! 

In all seriousness, for the price it’s a pretty cool special weekend car. Although probably wouldn’t hold its value like a Lambo or Ferrari?

Huh, i dont understand, isnt this why we buy Euro's? so we have unusually complicated and difficult items to repair?

Your regular jackoff has never experienced the daily excitement of driving a high mileage m62 on original chain guides and original fan clutch, of playing whackamole plugging the leaks on an m43 and Ill wager 'jatco' wont even illicit a reaction.

I think it would be very toyota of you to not purchase ceramic brakes given the opportunity. 

2 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

Silence, serf! 

In all seriousness, for the price it’s a pretty cool special weekend car. Although probably wouldn’t hold its value like a Lambo or Ferrari?

?

I do agree that for ~$85k you get a lot of car but there's so many 'special editions' of M cars these days it's impossible to know what any of them might be worth.

It used to be that the M was the special edition (by and large).

5 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Speaking of 6 series.  It's no M6 but I really like this one: 

If only it had an M paket. 

Just pick it up in 2 years for half the price, similar mileage and add it on

9 hours ago, m325i said:

^ Well it is reminiscent of a Maserati 

Which bit?

its a coupe?

• Haha 1

Haha the 650i is undoubtedly a better car than my Mas, but for some reason I own a Mas and not a 650i ;)

On 8/26/2019 at 3:21 PM, M3AN said:

We salute you. ?

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 11:05 AM, andrewm said:

Someone please buy this and keep it safe for a year or two so i can buy it. I know plenty wont like this colour on this car but I do. 

LSB

ceramic brakes

extended leather

drool

https://trademe.nz/motors/cars/bmw/m6/listing/2283571935

I like it.  If I win lotto this weekend, I'll have it.  I like the look of it.  And it looks slightly less menacing than a the equivalent M5.