Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

What is it worth

I hate these threads as much as the next person but have a customers car here we have been getting roadworthy after being parked up for a number of years as they are planning on selling it. I can't say i've seen one for sale in NZ before so thought I'd reach out and see what people think. 

Car in question is a 91 850i in manual. Import (JAPAN) with 69km on the clock. We have carried out replacement of all fluids, fixed a couple of leaks and roadworthy again. Body is in reasonable condition, would benefit from a cut and polish and some minor repairs to the front bumper

Any ideas? And anyone keen on the car?

Edited by Gaz
Japan not singapore

Does anyone know the guy whom owns a number of these including that Rep M8.
He might be interested in it.  Being a manual.

I know the guy you mean Dan, and I’m pretty sure he has had to sell some of his collection.

6 hours ago, Gaz said:

Tell them it's worth bugger all and I'll buy it ????. No idea on market prices for them to be honest but always on the lookout for something different.......

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I know the guy you mean Dan, and I’m pretty sure he has had to sell some of his collection.

Ah he did the old own and run a race car thing didn't he. 

7 hours ago, Gaz said:

I hate these threads as much as the next person but have a customers car here we have been getting roadworthy after being parked up for a number of years as they are planning on selling it. I can't say i've seen one for sale in NZ before so thought I'd reach out and see what people think. 

Car in question is a 91 850i in manual. Import (singapore) with 69km on the clock. We have carried out replacement of all fluids, fixed a couple of leaks and roadworthy again. Body is in reasonable condition, would benefit from a cut and polish and some minor repairs to the front bumper

Could be interested.. of course depends on $$...

Pm me some details if you like..

@treone could this be you?  It's not a V8, but it is manual...

@Olaf very tempting! A manual v12 would be cool ?.

value is interesting - it would appeal to a specific buyer, someone who knows the e31 well and who really wants one. Being a manual is a bonus though.

comparing to the two similar ones on TM, both have been sitting for months/over a year at $25k for very long time. Then theres the last e31 v8 that has also been listed for a while at $65k buy now. But i think its the colour on this one haha

For me positives are - manual, kms, rarity  negatives - singapore import, been sitting for a length of time

so i suppose it comes down to “it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it” 

my 2c on value

Actually Japanese import in 2000 not Singapore as previously stated

Daily driver.
Gotta be.
I drive a 1989 5 litre V8 Mercedes every day - a 50km round trip of twisty rural roads, and decent highways.

What's that? A BMW V12 wouldn't survive...? ;)

Seriously - this needs to be driven.

• Like 1

Spoke with the owner and she is happy for me to share. Cluster actually in miles, so it has 69,000 miles which lead me to do some further digging. Vehicle was delivered to a dealer in the UK before somehow getting to Japan and then coming here in 2000. Vehicle has done very few kms since being here, she down say why her husband didn't drive it but liked it and wanted to keep it. 

Vehicle has some light scratches from being in the garage which she may look at getting sorted but she's in no rush to sell and happy to wait for the right buyer

20190902_163008.thumb.jpg.7b2649562f536f6945281e71635a0d7b.jpg

20190902_162950(0).thumb.jpg.e2a470dd95390da4ac363b02c9f4410d.jpg20190902_162903.thumb.jpg.ca0fd40e0c8ebd16588016c7cc507b3d.jpg20190902_162913.thumb.jpg.c0aa10c4c5c238f6a2b8bcc607db5f52.jpg20190902_162920.thumb.jpg.fb307fd9f68e43a4c168bcdfac7147de.jpg

• Like 2

Using the standard Facebook "miles to k's conversion" most use, that's something like 689,342k's, so very high mileage...... I'll give her $100 (again Facebook conversion rates ??).

Na seriously think I just about made a mess in my pants at those pics, looks like it's in great, honest condition for it's age and should fetch a worthy price, I couldn't even ballpark what it should go for but hope she gets reasonable offers for it.

• Haha 1

No idea what it's worth but that 'cockpit' is to die for, f**k touchscreens, give me banks of buttons and dials.

• Like 4

Remember these were my dream car when I was about 6 years old living in the UK, there was a crimson one in the carpark at Dad's work.

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

Be bold and put up the price so we can all get back to our day jobs...

Thanks for your input but in case you missed it, its not my car and I'm just trying to help a widow sell her husbands 850 which would be only 1 of a few in NZ. The whole purpose of this thread is to work out a value for her hence why it's in the discussion section and not the for sale section. I'll let you get back to your day job

• Like 4

Just a thought, as we are all obviously struggling a bit to put a realistic ball park value on it, would it be worth spending the money to get it professionally appraised? Might give a fairer indication, as there's a couple on TardeMe varying from $18k to $40k, both autos, one has done 100k more than the other, both look to be in similar condition......

A registered valuation would also help give some justification to a selling price at the time, rather than "public opinion".

it's pretty damned cool, @Gaz.

Though not as rare as manual 840i's, this is a relatively unique car - BMW only made 98 examples with a 6-speed manual versus around 1,000 in automatic for the 850i (in rhd). Try getting another manual E31 in NZ  -especially a 850i - slim pickings.

Mauritius blue - nice colour too. Low miles for a car nigh on 30 years old.

Shame it doesn't have the M-tech body kit, or have 17" style 5's or throwing stars like the latter E31's.

Personally, I see E31 prices all over the place- quite hard to price. The 850i's with inter-galactic travel that have been poorly maintained - are deemed boat anchors by many, and can be a hard to sell at $10k. A nice one on the other hand with solid provenance, history, and reasonable mileage could be a $15-30k car.

If this car has the history and has been maintained - I see it from $20-$25k.

Once again, on a global perspective, nice 8's are on the rise - not just the 840ci sports and fabled 850csi's.

As usual, the NZ market is conservative, and does not necessarily follow international trends. However, this is a rare car and deserves to go to a good home.

Edited by ssbmw
  • Like 4

it's amazing to think that this could have shared a showroom floor with e30's eh?! ?

• Like 1

Crazy times,  those early 90's. The economy was still feeling the effects of the sharemarket crash - and the car industry wilted. Higher- end BMW's suffered. 7 series sales slowed down. The M635csi's anecdotally were being discounted from $190,000 to $130,000 (the cost of standard 635csi's) and the last one left a showroom was a 87' that sold in 1990. The E31 then arrived!

The 8 series was marketed heavily as this uber-sophisticated, technologically advanced coupe. Initial sales were OK because of the hype and unique looks - however the 850i's struggled to sell big numbers in the long run. As you say, a few would have shared a showroom with the last of the E30's. The colour I saw most frequently was Calypso red!