Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

What is it worth

2 hours ago, ssbmw said:

Crazy times,  those early 90's. The economy was still feeling the effects of the sharemarket crash - and the car industry wilted. Higher- end BMW's suffered. 7 series sales slowed down. The M635csi's anecdotally were being discounted from $190,000 to $130,000 (the cost of standard 635csi's) and the last one left a showroom was a 87' that sold in 1990. The E31 then arrived!

The 8 series was marketed heavily as this uber-sophisticated, technologically advanced coupe. Initial sales were OK because of the hype and unique looks - however the 850i's struggled to sell big numbers in the long run. As you say, a few would have shared a showroom with the last of the E30's. The colour I saw most frequently was Calypso red! 

What could have been. 

Maybe Group A racing and homologated road cars could have carried on into the 1990s, forcing manufacturers to push the boundaries. 

Weren’t BMW developing a V16 in response to Mercedes M120 V12 from 1991. 

Or was it Mercedes developing a V16 in response to the E32 750i, with the recession forcing them to go to a more modest V12. I can’t remember. 

As for the 850i value. 

Put it on $1 reserve and let the market decide. That IMO will determine its true worth in NZ. 

Mercedes considered a W18 in response to BMW's experimental V16. The M120 was the response for M70 which was BMW response to top the M119 5.5L V8.

I think the M120 has held up very well unlike the M70\M73

I have the impression that the m70 is "temperamental." is it really or is is it just a little it different in that it is sorta two engines?

Looks like a nice original car. If it were me, I'd try and acquire a head unit that they used in later E31's and E36's - really looks good with that console.

Image result for bmw e31 rd professional radio

• Like 1