Sign in to follow this  
kdalton

E36 manual conversion 325i

I’m based in Wellington, 

after a manual conversion kit to suite my 325i e36.

Yes it'll all fit and work no worries, I've done the swap from a 318i to a 328i. The only thing you may have a small issue with is clutch slip, the 4cyl clutches while fine for normal driving, don't like being dumped at high revs and will slip. You can put another flywheel/clutch combo in or get the clutch rebuilt and uprated to give more clamping force to fix this. It's most likely a Getrag 220 box that won't stand constant abuse but will last if driven right.

Everything else you'll need will swap straight over from a parts car pedals will go straight in. Hole is already in the firewall for the clutch master cylinder, it's sealed with a rubber grommet. Should be a tube at the back of the master cylinder, just snip the end off it for the fluid reservoir. Mounts for the shifter linkage and clutch lines should also be in place already. Driveshaft you only need the front section, but probably just as easy to swap the whole thing. Two wires to connect under the centre console to make the reverse light switch work as well, I can't remember what pins on what connector they are.

There's plenty of guides and advice around to do the job well, just search or ask if you get stuck. 

8 hours ago, Mad_Max said:

Yes it'll all fit and work no worries, I've done the swap from a 318i to a 328i. The only thing you may have a small issue with is clutch slip, the 4cyl clutches while fine for normal driving, don't like being dumped at high revs and will slip. You can put another flywheel/clutch combo in or get the clutch rebuilt and uprated to give more clamping force to fix this. It's most likely a Getrag 220 box that won't stand constant abuse but will last if driven right.

Everything else you'll need will swap straight over from a parts car pedals will go straight in. Hole is already in the firewall for the clutch master cylinder, it's sealed with a rubber grommet. Should be a tube at the back of the master cylinder, just snip the end off it for the fluid reservoir. Mounts for the shifter linkage and clutch lines should also be in place already. Driveshaft you only need the front section, but probably just as easy to swap the whole thing. Two wires to connect under the centre console to make the reverse light switch work as well, I can't remember what pins on what connector they are.

There's plenty of guides and advice around to do the job well, just search or ask if you get stuck. 

Good to know. Thanks.

I have one in Wellington I've been keeping for a rainy day. Out of a proper E36 too (not Ti) so has the correct shifter boot. Will PM you now.