Sign in to follow this  
gjm

New GST import stuff

I had thought there was still duty on some auto parts but happy to accept there is not. Part of the problem is that if it's >$1000 and inspected it'll attract a fee regardless of whether duty is payable. :(

10 hours ago, M3AN said:

That will almost certainly trigger a different process (>$1000) and we'd face duty on top of the GST.

Customs must have been crestfallen when the government introduced this during the Christmas rush, dumb move and probably why many packages will get through at the moment.

As well as paying GST on the duty fees, which is again a tax on top of a tax - illegal.

Yes definitely a dick move by the powers that be to introduce it at this time of year......

7 hours ago, hqstu said:

There hasn't been any duty on auto parts for years as far as I understand things.

There may well be import fees of various types for goods over $1000, but duty is all but history

Not true. Customs "duty" is only charged if the calculated "duty" charge is going to be $60 or more, based on the claimed "invoice total". If its under the $60 mark they don't bother trying to charge the duty as it will cost them more than they will collect. 

It doesn't matter what it is that's imported or where its from, its the value of the items that determines if duty is to be collected.

6 hours ago, e30ftw said:

A friend of mine last month split his order over two to avoid GST, but FedEx ended up picking up on it and he had to fork out once they landed. Seems like they don't care about anything less than $400 at the moment.

Yes that seems to be about the magic number for duty, what the government wants though is to collect GST on absolutely everything coming from overseas - a task they might now be realising is going to be as easy as wiping an elephants bumhole with a piece of confetti......

1 hour ago, Mad_Max said:

at the government wants though is to collect GST on absolutely everything coming from overseas - a task they might now be realising is going to be as easy as wiping an elephants bumhole with a piece of confetti......

UK have been doing this for decades. Anything over £17 attracts duty, which is collected by Royal Mail at point of delivery. 

10 hours ago, Mad_Max said:

Not true. Customs "duty" is only charged if the calculated "duty" charge is going to be $60 or more, based on the claimed "invoice total". If its under the $60 mark they don't bother trying to charge the duty as it will cost them more than they will collect. 

It doesn't matter what it is that's imported or where its from, its the value of the items that determines if duty is to be collected.

Now I'm confused, could you please tell me what "duty" is then please, how it is shown on an invoice from say DHL or Fedex, and how it differs from either GST or the import/biosecurity fees?  I have never seen a line item stating "duty" or "tariff"?  I understood the trigger for GST being charged was if the GST take would exceed $60.  That was prior to 1 Dec of course.

I was under the impression that over seas companies would only collect GST if they did more than $60k business in NZ, same as any other business in NZ. 

5 hours ago, richard said:

more than $60k business in NZ

That's true - with my "shareholding" in FCP - they'd easily accomplish that :)

• Haha 2

I'm a little bit confused after reading this thread. If you ship to myUS do you pay gst when it lands in NZ before they clear it through customs. Or was the law attempting to get the 3rd parties to collect on behalf before it arrives in nz.

Just paid youshop a crap tonne and trying to find other options as their volumetric shipping rate is just fckn nuts. Just paid em $109! (140 inc gst lol) 

3 hours ago, 325_driver said:

I'm a little bit confused after reading this thread. If you ship to myUS do you pay gst when it lands in NZ before they clear it through customs. Or was the law attempting to get the 3rd parties to collect on behalf before it arrives in nz.

There's two questions there and the answer is "yes" to both.

If you ship to myUS you are shipping to a US address, no GST is payable but you will pay local US sales taxes if they apply. myUS will then ship to a NZ address and are expected to collect GST on the value of the package they received (including shipping) plus the cost of shipping it to NZ. In that case myUS is the 3rd party (as far as NZ IRD is concerned).

However, if the seller sends it directly to NZ, and they do over $60k per annum business with people in NZ, the NZ IRD expects them to collect GST on the cost of the goods plus shipping and subsequently pay that to NZ IRD. To do this they have to register for GST in NZ and the question is, how many will volunteer to do that.

Loophole: if you get a GST receipt for the goods from the seller you can't get charged for GST again, regardless of whether the seller collects or pays any GST at all. It will however make the seller a bad actor in the eyes of the IRD and they (or rather Customs as their proxy) may attempt to bounce (return to sender) all packages received by them if they can identify them.

So basically if I ship to myUS I may or may not be charged gst by them. (In theory I should, but they may not have volunteered to do so)

And I won't have any issues through customs unless the order is above $1000 as per the new changes.

13 minutes ago, 325_driver said:

So basically if I ship to myUS I may or may not be charged gst by them. (In theory I should, but they may not have volunteered to do so)

Correct. But expect them to comply at some stage, they're large enough to be singled out.

14 minutes ago, 325_driver said:

And I won't have any issues through customs unless the order is above $1000 as per the new changes.

Perhaps. During this transition period I suspect either/or sets of rules are being applied. But given that it's Christmas it's likely to get through.

1 hour ago, 325_driver said:

MyUS will collect / charge GST on all shipments. I've received an email to that effect. 

Thanks @gjm what I needed to know. 

Think I'm going to switch to myus. Shipping looks alot more predictable and weight based. I struggle to confirm dimensions before placing an order so mu shipping ranges from 30 to 120 depending on how generous people are with packaging.

What are you buying @325_driver?

If it's typical stuff then I've always found FCP's shipping to be cost effective.

• Like 1

Rm euro and FCP. I usually use the direct shipping it's just on larger orders I struggle with the postage calculated.

Annoying because it's now awaiting dispatch in sluggish you shop 

11 hours ago, 325_driver said:

Rm euro and FCP. I usually use the direct shipping it's just on larger orders I struggle with the postage calculated.

Annoying because it's now awaiting dispatch in sluggish you shop 

If ordering a number of things from FCP, talk to them directly. Their online system doesn't combine items for shipping very well.

@gjm funny thing is that I was just doing that with RM Euro in the recent order, and they said box size was estimated 15x15x9 inches from my product list, but they couldnt confirm until i placed the order lol (which worked out to be volumetric youshop shipping of $60 (+40gst)

so the box showed up at youshop and the dimensions were 30x15x19 inches, $110 postage + 40 gst ???

end of the day, it's a pain, but a drop in the bucket, if i bought retail over here i would be paying $1500+ for what i ordered, and i paid 270 (parts) 130 postage, so stuff it.

In the future i'm a tad confused about this GST rule, because i get how youshop or myus can slap a bill on it, but if we select say 

UPS or FEDEX or USPS from say FCP euro, does the ownace fall on FCP euro (the seller) to collect GST on behalf? and if they don't charge GST, do we in theory have the parcel stopped at customs for a GST bill

9 hours ago, 325_driver said:

In the future i'm a tad confused about this GST rule, because i get how youshop or myus can slap a bill on it, but if we select say 

UPS or FEDEX or USPS from say FCP euro, does the ownace fall on FCP euro (the seller) to collect GST on behalf? and if they don't charge GST, do we in theory have the parcel stopped at customs for a GST bill

That's the bit that's puzzling me. And if FCP are collecting the GST, how has NZ convinced them to do that (with the associated paperwork it's going to entail) and then to pass that money on to NZ?

As I understand it, the onus of collection is on the seller, not the shipping company, so FedEx would't get involved. Which is in itself a shame - FedEx have arranged collection of excise revenue for a long time (on shipments with a due duty in excess of $60) and done so very effectively and quickly - far quicker than NZ Post.

I've been through trying several different routes of shipping and FedEx shipping from FCP has been the best experience.

@gjm ironically, if i just selected the FEDEX option, albeit more expensive, it would have been cheaper because it would have been minus the GST bill, and parts would have arrived already.

I'm still awaiting dispatch for my youshop items, they are 3 days overdue.

I think this is my last experience with youshop, they have been under delivering over the last few months and this has pushed me over the edge lol

Yeah they are can be slow sometimes in regarding to dispatching, depends on their international departure schedule or volumes  as sometimes its very quickly received and sent. They are still the cheapest ive come across besides Amazon so i still use them for smaller US only items. Fedex via FCP covers the rest.

@Eagle transmission filter kit from Amazon rrp over here $300 got it 40inc standard shipping, arrived 7 days later. I don't know how they do it but that's insane.

Was supposed to show up on the 20th

Not always that quick but that was incredible

8 hours ago, 325_driver said:

@gjm ironically, if i just selected the FEDEX option, albeit more expensive, it would have been cheaper because it would have been minus the GST bill, and parts would have arrived already.

I'm still awaiting dispatch for my youshop items, they are 3 days overdue.

I think this is my last experience with youshop, they have been under delivering over the last few months and this has pushed me over the edge lol

I use MyUS which is great - even has its own app for managing shipments. 

18 hours ago, 325_driver said:

@Eagle transmission filter kit from Amazon rrp over here $300 got it 40inc standard shipping, arrived 7 days later. I don't know how they do it but that's insane.

Was supposed to show up on the 20th

Not always that quick but that was incredible

Yeah their business model is unbeatable if you are a customer. Usually 8-14 days arrival time in my experience.   

Unless they changed in the last couple of years MYUS were overpriced when that VISA promotion i had ended

5 days stuck in customs, and still counting.

Haha good thing im in no rush, but man there must be some massive backlogs of parcels coming through.

31 minutes ago, 325_driver said:

5 days stuck in customs, and still counting.

Haha good thing im in no rush, but man there must be some massive backlogs of parcels coming through.

Sounds normal for NZ Post.

• Like 1