Sign in to follow this  
gjm

New GST import stuff

I just paid GST on an eBay.co.uk purchase, collected at source via PayPal... it would be interesting to be able to trace that GST and see if it ever arrives back in NZ.

• Like 2

I've found that it's GST + a bit more. (Service fee maybe)

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I just paid GST on an eBay.co.uk purchase, collected at source via PayPal... it would be interesting to be able to trace that GST and see if it ever arrives back in NZ.

Here's the interesting question. You buy XYZ parts at $ABC + GST. Parts turn up damaged. Will you get a refund less the GST component? Or, more importantly, will the NZ Government refund the GST component to the seller?

I bet not, I bet they haven't explained that part to the sellers, as I have been stung with that already - purchased something recently online from overseas. Paid GST. Goods were faulty. Received refund less GST. NZ Government wins again.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Mad_Max said:

Here's the interesting question. You buy XYZ parts at $ABC + GST. Parts turn up damaged. Will you get a refund less the GST component? Or, more importantly, will the NZ Government refund the GST component to the seller?

I bet not, I bet they haven't explained that part to the sellers, as I have been stung with that already - purchased something recently online from overseas. Paid GST. Goods were faulty. Received refund less GST. NZ Government wins again.

Yep, PITA.

But your case is tax deductible on your income... if you can be bothered... government wins again... :-/

You're not paying for the 2nd one so no GST collected? Same as if you return it to a store, they don't collect GST on the replacement as no financial transaction has taken place

• Thanks 1

Its probably been mentioned in this thread, but if im buying something in USD on a website, and they charge GST, it looks like they charge it in USD (15% of the purchase), so they're skimming more money off the top. Its all sh*t.

Im waiting to see what happens with some shocks I just purchased from the UK. Didnt pay tax, so i'll see how efficient customs are.

1 hour ago, KwS said:

Its probably been mentioned in this thread, but if im buying something in USD on a website, and they charge GST, it looks like they charge it in USD (15% of the purchase), so they're skimming more money off the top. Its all sh*t.

Im waiting to see what happens with some shocks I just purchased from the UK. Didnt pay tax, so i'll see how efficient customs are.

Why? It’s a percentage of the total value, so the currency is irrelevant. 15% of XUSD is the same as 15% of the equivalent NZD after the conversion.

• Like 2

I dunno, was probably asleep when i posted that ?

• Haha 1

Just ordered some parts from eBay, paying with PayPal.

Price was €170.88, with €21 for postage.

GST has been added (I didn't check, but expect this was done by PayPal), at €28.78, so under $50. Which is disappointing of course, but not such a huge amount in the grand scheme of things.

The sweet spot is going to be from $400 thru $700ish where you'll pay less in GST than you would in taxes, charges, duties and handling fees.

This kinda assumes that MAF don't get involved and start doing inspections on everything coming into the country...

image.png.83c1ea6e31a66bc2b5e8041989561dc7.png

Edited by gjm

The system clearly works. Just got some shocks from the UK. About $500NZD worth. Didnt pay GST on sale, and flew straight through customs without so much as a blink. I could get used to this new system.

• Like 1

New rules are that GST is charged on everything, but Duty may not apply:

image.thumb.png.16358bf10932c72bbfcccbc773fafa59.png

Not a huge saving but every little bit helps.

Still haven't been hit with gst despite hundreds of dollars of parts coming in from the UK. Not complaining, just observing. 

Yeah I've brought about $8k worth of stuff (new parts, in $2k lots) in and it's all gone straight through. Late December and late Feb.

Anybody do a FCPeuro or ECStuning order? experience?

PM if you dont want to post.

Got quoted $3000 for two lower control arms for the c63 from MB nz and I have to wait for them to ship from singapore.

MB NZ didnt even offer to take me out to dinner before they tried to f**k me.

They are unreasonably expensive as there is no OEM item available (just lower control arms all the rest are normal prices) but still US sites are selling the genuine parts for $1400 NZ shipped.

Have you tried Autohaus AZ? Used them for an S55 and they were cheaper. But some amg parts seem to be on a “lockdown” until a certain age.