Sign in to follow this  
modz

Time serts?

Anyone performed time sert (not helicoil) on a bmw block?

im after a set to rent so I can get mine done this week.  

Had planned on getting the engine in the car this weekend but the block had other plans...

Just a heads up...if you don't insert them accurately the block will be ruined. The head bolts will pull them out. Most motor re conditioners have their own special set ups to do these accurately and even they can get it wrong... ask me how I know

• Thanks 2

Another option could be upgrading to the 11mm studs. There is a square tool that bolts to the block that allows for accurate drilling and tapping.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zero said:

Another option could be upgrading to the 11mm studs. There is a square tool that bolts to the block that allows for accurate drilling and tapping.

Pointers to such a tool? (not that I've spent any time searching)

I'm thinking of doing all of my cam cover bolts in the aluminium. With a suitable guide for a hand drill it's an easy enough job at home. I've already done 2 of the 14 (?) out of necessity.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, polley said:

Yes I've done m52 with timesert before. 

Did you use a kit or just buy the time serts and drill / tap as required? thanks

19 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Pointers to such a tool? (not that I've spent any time searching)

I'm thinking of doing all of my cam cover bolts in the aluminium. With a suitable guide for a hand drill it's an easy enough job at home. I've already done 2 of the 14 (?) out of necessity.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1900160-Retap-your-headbolts-to-11mm-with-no-machining

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, modz said:

Did you use a kit or just buy the time serts and drill / tap as required? thanks

Bought tap and drills etc separately. 

• Thanks 1

Just FYI, bit of a watch but it's interesting to see the results, done by an independent guy that has no affiliations with any company.

• Like 2

Cheers yeah been watching a fair few vids including 50skid to clue up on the job. Fun times

On 9/9/2019 at 10:43 AM, Mad_Max said:

Just FYI, bit of a watch but it's interesting to see the results, done by an independent guy that has no affiliations with any company.

That's crazy.

Timeserts are clearly inferior. And they look like a PITA to use compared to Helicoils.

• Like 1

Really? I don’t think so. Timeserts grip better and are a better design than helicoils (having done both). 
I wouldn’t hesitate to use timeserts again. Super easy

But did you watch the video? They're clearly inferior unless he made it up. That the manufacturer won't even certify timeserts is a pretty big negative for them. 

The Timeserts and the Heli Coils didn't fail in the video. The aluminium pieces and the bolts failed with the forces he was using. That's why it is critical on the BMW alloy blocks to check hardness, especially if a head gasket has failed or from severe overheating. A severe overheat can also cause the block to distort and run main bearings. As a precaution the blocks should only be planed with the crankshaft fitted and torqued. Heli coils and timeserts are really only a patch up for a failed engine block . A proper repair would cost more than these older cars are worth ie: a new BMW Long block assembly. The later blocks on the newer engines are going to be a nightmare to repair as well. Just look at the newer timing chains in the rear of the engines and camshaft configurations

• Like 2

On 9/7/2019 at 8:08 PM, zero said:

I made a plate like this at work and used it to ensure my holes were straight.

Alternatively use a drill press but that means having a bare block with flat base - which I didn’t have.

@B.M.W Ltd In your opinion, do you think something like timecerts or helicoils would be good options for a performance engine build, even if the block tested fine?

3 hours ago, zero said:

@B.M.W Ltd In your opinion, do you think something like timecerts or helicoils would be good options for a performance engine build, even if the block tested fine?

I think that question should be directed to the block tester Nathan. Would he be prepared to do it and guarantee it, or blame the engine assembler if they failed ? My opinion would have to be no and I also wouldn't expose myself to risk doing that repair.

• Like 1

My experience with aircooled VW heads - I'd use a timesert EVERY time.

If a helicoil comes out, they try to expand on the way out - makes a hell of a mess.

Timeserts don't try to expand, so you can generally just put a new insert in.

• Like 1