Sign in to follow this  
hunter

Electrical Gremlin, or dying battery

HI team, 

looking for advice on below.

im sure this has been talked about before (have done search and seen simialr post but here is my experience with sudden and random power drain(?)
Car wasworking sunday 8th not working monday 9th

• Only Changes on 8th were new drivers door seal. 
  • . Jump start on 9th morning. Car holds charge for approx 6 hours. 
  • Jump start again Took car for drive on 9th Boot Lid Open warning appeared. (this has appeared before and firmly closing boot resolves the warning)
  • Talking to dealer about abbtery repacement and checking battery details when i notice Bluetooth connection available even when car off. 10th sept. Suspect GROM unit not switchng off whn it should - question reoans as to why this is the case?
  • Removed grom unit on 10th. Plug mid back in. Take car for drive. Drives fine. 
  • Car sat for 7 or 8 hours on 10th with Grom unit removed and held charge.
  • Attempted to reinstall grom unit, car went flat during installation after from was plugged in. Removed grom again. 
  • Re jump started the car. 
  • CEL on. 3 codes, relating to ram error, injector bank 2. Codes cleared.
  • Took car for drives runs strong no signs of issues related to CEL codes. Possibly result of battery going flat while mid was out.

I am yet to test the battery due to not having  multi meter but may call roadside assisit to test it for me as the do battery health report for jump starts...

it seems odd that the GROM unit would remain on for an extended period and be enough to drain the battery fully.

im guess ing the currenty battery is actually toast and also somethnig (?) is keeping the GROM unit on- all doors areclosing properly aside fomr the odd boot warning whic as above, firm closre removes the warning - can this remain an issue if no warning is reported by the car?

I have inspected the loom to the boot, the bitsi can see any way and it looks "ok"

Edited by hunter

Try removing the fan resistor for the HVAC unit and see if that makes a difference to the car holding charge. Had similar parasitic drains on two e39’s. The third E39 was simply needing a new battery. 

With my car, opening any door (including boot) turns the GROM unit on. Perhaps your car thinks the boot is open even when it’s turned off, therefore turning the GROM unit on? 

But it would be odd for the GROM unit alone to drain your battery

Edited by BozzaFC

2 hours ago, BozzaFC said:

With my car, opening any door (including boot) turns the GROM unit on. Perhaps your car thinks the boot is open even when it’s turned off, therefore turning the GROM unit on? 

But it would be odd for the GROM unit alone to drain your battery

That's the same for me mate, and what I thought was going in. But like you say it'd have to be alot of draw to drain the battery ina few hours. So could be a combo of things. 

I left the grom out of car last night and it was fine at mid day today. Will be back home Friday arvo and will see how it us then. Will also try putting my original grom in too. 

I also need to test the battery with a multimeter. 

@str8_6 I'll look up the HVAC fan resistor, cheers for advice. was the fix to replace this resistor or the HVAC unit itself?

Just replace the resistor. It’s pretty easy to do, you just need to be flexible!

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 8:49 PM, hunter said:

I left the grom out of car last night and it was fine at mid day today. Will be back home Friday arvo and will see how it us then. Will also try putting my original grom in too. 

I also need to test the battery with a multimeter. 

returned from few days away to a flat car. Called roadside assist battery van to come and test the battery and car.

recommendation was new battery which i got at AA discount and all back up and running.

Grom reinstalled and sounds like sh*t lol  with  lots of distortion 

after checking all connections and resetting the Groma few times seems to be back to normal, well balanced sound.