Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

Painting brake calipers

@zero i used it on a 4age rocker cover, and it's still sweet to this day, they get pretty hot, especially the new owner, he's been giving it death lol

Are you talking about the left over diamond schwartz / clear? just do it bro! Did you recover some from the drive way

Edited by 325_driver

5 minutes ago, 325_driver said:

@zero i used it on a 4age rocker cover, and it's still sweet to this day, they get pretty hot, especially the new owner, he's been giving it death lol

Are you talking about the left over diamond schwartz / clear? just do it bro! Did you recover some from the drive way

Haha, yea thats what I'm planning.

@zero What's the engine?

i'll do some googling, or you could drive round to someone with an infared temp gun just to check

that paint will handle to 110-120deg - but honestly im sure that 4age has got hotter than that

just keep repainting it ever 3 years if it peels g ? all part of vehicle maintenance

6 minutes ago, 325_driver said:

@zero What's the engine?

i'll do some googling, or you could drive round to someone with an infared temp gun just to check

that paint will handle to 110-120deg - but honestly im sure that 4age has got hotter than that

just keep repainting it ever 3 years if it peels g ? all part of vehicle maintenance

m62. I'll do a google.

@zero https://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/BMW_M60_M62_M62TU_Engine_Cooling_System.htm

You're going to have no dramas at all man, 100 should be sweet 

i've seen plenty of other people use normal BC/CC on BMW rocker covers, mainly m20's but maybe they operate slightly cooler

• Like 1

Needed to be done. 

Got a nice prove on some WOKING pads too.

DSC_0306.JPG

Not much meat left on the old ones !

DSC_0307.thumb.JPG.86a72e98b593397db2b5796a500086e4.JPG

Edited by 325_driver

15 hours ago, 325_driver said:

@M3AN

I just found this - did you ever try this when you were trying to get yours off?

No, not that way. I think I was lucky, with the puller on for a few days they came off easily enough.

Nice nail polish.?

• Haha 1

Everyone should own one of these $3 things from Ali Express. I only bought it for the backpass valve included.

DSC_0308.thumb.JPG.adef1a4d7577ee86933af4d1fb556514.JPG

And thought I would go black on these things, less brake dust to worry about on silver colour

DSC_0309.thumb.JPG.9b0f01ec5720e4510ec1ebc2ed13f929.JPG

55 minutes ago, 325_driver said:

Everyone should own one of these $3 things from Ali Express. I only bought it for the backpass valve included.

DSC_0308.thumb.JPG.adef1a4d7577ee86933af4d1fb556514.JPG

Mine seized after the first use. Sprayed brake fluid every where ? took a bit to clean up, lucky I wear glasses.

Once freed up, it makes bleeding the brakes easy (for mr no friends) ?

Edited by sweetm3

@sweetm3 provided it does this round I don't care haha.

Some people on Ali were saying just hit it a bit to fix it when it seizes lol

Have bled the system - Is it normal for tight rotors after new pads?

I can still turn the wheel, but it's definitely kissing the new pads, and alot tighter than i remember.

I'm assuming that after taking it for a slow drive, and pumping the brakes a bit, the calipers / pads will seat a bit better?

When installing i checked the floating caliper moved freely, everything is definitely tight, and pads are seated correctly.

Cheers

Edited by 325_driver

Took it for a drive, everythings spinning freely, no grinding noises, no engine lights

I can't remember how firm the pedal should be when the engine is running, but i feel like it could be a bit spoungy'er (might just be my paranoia though after having the calipers off)

Not much fluid left the system when i had the calipers off, so it can't be air in the ABS

How will i know if i have correctly bled the system? The car seems to stop pretty quickly, is there any risk say maybe if i haven't bled the system 100% correct will the pedal just feel not as firm?

i'd say I can push the pedal in between 1/4 -> 1/3 at ease without having to exert a bit of leg power.

Can new pads just feel a bit different? Anyone else had similar experience?

Cheers

Edited by 325_driver

Different pads have different break in procedures so make sure you follow the break in instructions for your specific pads.

If there is air in the system the brakes will feel spongy.

There's probably an ABS bleed procedure too (there is as far back as the e36) so if you have air trapped in the abs solenoid unit when you bled the system it'll just continue to travel around and give you a soft pedal.

On the e36 the ABS unit itself has a bleed nipple, not sure about other BMW's.

@zero when the car is off, i press once and its soft to half, and then press again it's firm, sounds like air in the system?

@M3AN aw man i hope not, i was trying my hardest to not let much fluid out so i didn't have to bleed it, as you need a plug + computer software to initiate the bleed procedure. Had the hoses all gloved up anyway, and fluid reservoir hadn't moved much in the time i had the calipers off.

going to take the car for a drive tomorrow, and then bleed it again, see if theres maybe some hidden air in the system that needs to come out

Edited by 325_driver

Well bed the pads in today they got some nice bite now. The instructions said 10 stops 130km to 30km, so did a bit of illegal Nascar up my road.

Drove into town after and didn't rear end anyone so that's good.

But I'm pretty sure it feels a little bit more spongy than before so might go hard bleeding it again. 

When the car is off I have to pump it once and then it's firm, so I guess that's a sign there is air somewhere in there, but at least it's drivable.

• Sad 1

Usually when you bleed you start at the brake furthermost from the master cylinder and work your way from brake to brake, ending at the brake closest to the master cylinder.

Make sure the master cylinder reservoir is full the whole time.

Maybe the amazon valve thing is no good? I would get a friend to pump the brakes and do it the old fashioned way.

Also, if you jack up each corner as you bleed that corner you'll encourage any bubbles that are in there to pop out.

• Like 1

You'll need to bleed the ABS system, there is a INPA/ISTA function for bleeding brakes. Never done it, just seen it.  Press button, it pumps fluid, etc.

https://www.wish.com/product/582afc85e173470382bf6c89?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=NZ&_force_currency_code=NZD&pid=googleadwords_int&c={campaignId}&ad_

This is all we have ever used for bleeding clutch and brake systems. One man operation used to bleed hydraulic systems and can also be used to drain other types of fluids from reservoirs or oil puddling around motors, just change the hose end fitting to suit and don't cross contaminate.

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Yeah I bled it again today. It feels alot better but it's so hard to know if it's softer. And the new pads I put in could give it a different feel I'm told.

The valve definitely works, tested it by entering air in the exit and it stopped at the backpass valve.

When the car is off it's stiff as anything like before now which is a positive sign. Before It would lose stiffness and I would have to pump to regain it.

Just no idea what it was like before with the car running.

I think for sake of it I'm going to order one of those INPA plugs and do it anyway. Can't hurt to do it. 

Also, check this collection of brake dust out

DSC_0311.JPG

They look real good. I'm a big fan of proper paint on calipers. Seen tomany Rattle can jobs turn to s&#t. 

Just a FYI for next time. I could have valour blasted those calipers in about an hour. I have even worked out a way of cleaning up calipers complete sealing off the piston, seals and banjo holes so none of the blast media gets in and is not damaged in the processes. 

7 hours ago, Mr Vapour said:

Just a FYI for next time. I could have valour blasted those calipers in about an hour. I have even worked out a way of cleaning up calipers complete sealing off the piston, seals and banjo holes so none of the blast media gets in and is not damaged in the processes. 

How much do you usually charge for a full set of Brembo calipers?